What's new

Zamak cancer treatment

Gents,

Pleasant surprise this week when I found a Ben Hur Mikron in a razor lot purchase. However, it's showing the dreaded zamak cancerous lesions.

At this point, they are not affecting the function of the razor. Any advice or suggestions on what to do to keep these from getting worse?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408133442.886150.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408133467.304125.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent further deterioration ... Only thing that comes to mind is a coat of lacquer? I am just guessing though ... Zamak usually cannot be replated, and especially not once it reaches that condition.

It is a shame though ...

Sorry to see such a fine razor start to show signs of age.

I would try clear nail polish or something similar in a thin layer. It might slow down the rot but it may not.

Once it gets to that stage it's pretty much on the list. It does look like it's a little too far gone to save. It might just be the pictures though.

I know it can't be replated either. That's a shame.

Get it totally bone dry before you do anything to it. You don't want to lock any moisture in with enamel by painting over it.

Dead. Send it to me! :) I think some epoxy might give it some more years. Shame on a beautiful razor. I have the Apollo Mikron, shaves great!

There's not much you can do when it hits that stage. It's like serious pitting on a very hollow ground straight razor, it is too entrenched.

That razor is too far gone for my suggestion, but I coat my vintage Zamak razors in Renaissance wax. The razors remain usable, the wax is virtually undetectable, and it might add a few years to their lives ...

proxy.php

I think I've come up with a course of action:

1) give it a good scrubbing with the usual bubbles to descum

2) use a brass brush to flake off any loose corroded metal

3) a stint in the toaster oven should drive off any residual moisture out of the porous alloy

4) try painting on some 2-part epoxy over the wounds to stabilize

5) cross my fingers that that does the trick

Top Bottom