What's new

zamak/brass de razors like edwin jagger and merkur

do they shave as well as stainless steel razors? is there any evidence that stainless steel razors shave much better than your typical brass/zamak de razors many use today like the merkur or edwin jagger? How long can a razor like the merkur 34c or edwin jagger de89 last if taken care of properly?

IME the quality of the shave has nothing to do with what they're made of.

Durability is a totally different matter, though. Even so, a Zamak razor can last many years, and brass will last pretty much as long as stainless steel.

Plenty of Old Types over 100 yo still in perfect shape out there. Plus you can replate them and they're ready for another 50 or 60 years of great shaves.

IME the quality of the shave has nothing to do with what they're made of.

Durability is a totally different matter, though. Even so, a Zamak razor can last many years, and brass will last pretty much as long as stainless steel.

Plenty of Old Types over 100 yo still in perfect shape out there. Plus you can replate them and they're ready for another 50 or 60 years of great shaves.

+1 You could just get both and see for yourself. Good luck.

do they shave as well as stainless steel razors? is there any evidence that stainless steel razors shave much better than your typical brass/zamak de razors many use today like the merkur or edwin jagger? How long can a razor like the merkur 34c or edwin jagger de89 last if taken care of properly?
I don't think there is any difference in the shave from a zamak, brass or stainless razor as such. They are all individuals.

There is absolutely no evidence of a stainless razor giving better shaves than a zamak razor just because it is made of a better material.

Your last question is the problem. No matter how well you take care of a zamak razor it will not outlive a brass or stainless one. The two problems are the centerpost breaking or the plating exposing the zamak, which will lead to zamak rot and render the razor useless. The former super replater Dave in the UK made a post stating that the average life of a zamak razor is less than 10 years. Of course the cost of a zamak razor is not high compared to one made of stainless. I should think the cost will be about the same, but you won't be leaving a family heirloom behind you!

$Zamak rot Jagger.jpg
Zamak rot

$Broken Jagger.jpg
Broken centerpost​

For me the answer is simple - go vintage:

Vintage Gillettes: made to last and one for every taste

Last edited by a moderator:
Prep+ Blade+Technique=Shave. The razor holds the blade so the metal of the razor is irrelevant. But I agree, get both!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I suggest also looking at vintage Gillettes before buying; Excellent examples can be found for much less than the price of newly manufactured razors.

I find that the EJ and Merkur razors shave differently than vintage Gillettes. I prefer the way the modern Merkurs, EJ's, and Muhle's shave, so I'm willing to deal with the fact that they are made of zamack. For what it's worth, most people, including myself, never have a problem with their zamack razors. Besides, I could replace my zamack razor many times over for the price of a single stainless steel razor.

I prefer to go with vintage razors. None of mine are in such fine condition as bosseb's , but they are all cleaned up and in excellent working condition. I use my Merkur on occasion but still prefer the old ones.

The problem with vintage razors is getting one. If you try to get one on eBay you have to hang around all day to get it or someone will beat you to it. I tried a couple of times to buy a Gillette NEW on eBay but failed.

Last edited:
I find that the EJ and Merkur razors shave differently than vintage Gillettes. I prefer the way the modern Merkurs, EJ's, and Muhle's shave, so I'm willing to deal with the fact that they are made of zamack. For what it's worth, most people, including myself, never have a problem with their zamack razors. Besides, I could replace my zamack razor many times over for the price of a single stainless steel razor.
This is the important part - listen to the razor and choose accordingly.

I totally agree with the price argument here. But you won't leave a heirloom to your relatives... :001_smile

If the plating on a zamak razor exposed the zamak, but you were to dry it off between uses would the zamak still rot? Generally metal rot is due to exposure to moisture and air, but if dry would the rot still occur or would it occur on a slower scale.

If the plating on a zamak razor exposed the zamak, but you were to dry it off between uses would the zamak still rot? Generally metal rot is due to exposure to moisture and air, but if dry would the rot still occur or would it occur on a slower scale.
Sounds reasonable, but I have no idea.

After two cases of zamak rot (on Merkurs) and one snapped centerpost (on EJ) + one on my sons razor (EJ) I am not interested in zamak razors any more.

I've never shaved with a full stainless razor, just a stainless handle. I will say that I can get similar shaves from both my Zamak and Brass razors. I do think I'm going to start saving up for a stainless razor. Based on my experience with the stainless handle I have, the big draw for me is weight. I like a heavier razor for head shaving.

do they shave as well as stainless steel razors? - No difference

is there any evidence that stainless steel razors shave much better than your typical brass/zamak de razors many use today like the merkur or edwin jagger?

No. Depends on the skill of the operator.

How long can a razor like the merkur 34c or edwin jagger de89 last if taken care of properly?

Depends on when you drop it or when you get a chip in the plating. If either ocurs, the razor is toast.

Go vintage!!

If you use vintage razors you know they will last because they made it to the vintage state. And if you want one in new condition have a vintage one replated in Bright Nickel, costs around $40 and will last 100 years if taken care of. Find a mechanically sound vintage for under $10 send it to be replated for $40 and you have a "New" razor that is better made, better plated, and better shaving than any new manufactured razor.

The only thing required to get this done is patience and a willingness to wait for the right razor at the right price and then send it off for replating.

Steve, if you maintain your Zamak razor, well, it should last you quite a long time, I believe. I have had a few of my Merkurs and EJs for almost 4 years, now and they are in very good condition. Just be careful with them.

do they shave as well as stainless steel razors? is there any evidence that stainless steel razors shave much better than your typical brass/zamak de razors many use today like the merkur or edwin jagger?
As stated above the material doesn't make the difference in the shave. Don't assume that higher cost means better not matter what product you're looking at -- i.e. not just DE's but anything. It's the materials and the manufacturing process that makes stainless more expensive.

As with any DE comparison, better is a matter of what suits the individual. No one stainless DE is best for everyone just as no DE of any material is best for everyone. Stainless DE's are not all identical either.

How long can a razor like the merkur 34c or edwin jagger de89 last if taken care of properly?
A long time but probably not as long as a vintage or stainless. Zamak is fine as long as the plating is intact and the DE is not damaged from dropping or subject to manufacturing defects. That said, "can" and "will" are two entirely different things. Some have experienced problems with Zamak DE's. Don't overlook prior discussions as a resource.

The vintage fans seems to promote them as a one-size-fits-all solution but, again, no one type of DE is best for everyone. If you're interested definitely give them a shot to find out for yourself. I've tried several and didn't care for any of them but I've held on to mine as I do appreciate their build quality and durability.

Last edited:
A plated Zamak can last a long time, if the plating is perfect, if the razor doesn't get dinged, if the plating on the threads is perfect, if the head is not over tightened, if, if, if. I've been unlucky on both Zamak razors I own, a Futur I bought that is now junk because of a badly corroded threaded post and an EJ DE87 I was given that has pits in the Chrome and started to corrode. It's a crap shoot so why not buy one razor that will outlast you instead of several over a lifetime?

The problem with vintage razors is getting one. If you try to get one on eBay you have to hang around all day to get it or someone will beat you to it. I tried a couple of times to buy a Gillette NEW on eBay but failed.

I agree 100% about ebay

I just got on eBay 2 weeks ago. And I've yet to win something, the only time I actually was able to buy something was with the "buy it now" option. Lucky for me it was really cheap.

That's the reason why I have resorted to getting my vintage razors from antique shops. You strike out more times than you hit, but at least you don't have some punk waiting until the last second to outbid you.

Top Bottom