What's new

Yuma Razor Review

Today was the first shave with my new Yuma razor. One of my colleagues recently took a short holiday back home to Turkey, so I had them pick me up a Yuma on their way back.

Decided to use a very “standard” shave setup to test it out, proraso green cream and a second use Astra SP.

Upon first look at the razor, it looks pretty darn rough.

432EF910-05B4-47BC-A583-409889D47490.jpeg
01F8C9E0-EB6B-4A4C-AE41-FC6AF618CC96.jpeg
2AC670D9-5541-4C24-96BA-38ECA9FBE9E4.jpeg
F6BD0CFF-AA74-4719-A8F8-A08DE034C435.jpeg

If I was new to wet shaving, I probably would have been relatively hesitant to use a razor that had this sort of fit and finish, but considering I get my best shaves from a Rapira razor with similarly shoddy finish, I jumped right in.

First thing I noticed was that it was unbelievably smooth. The razor itself is so light, you really get a feel for the pressure you’re using, and with the hollow handle, you get very good feedback on whether you’ve got your angle dead on or not.

Standard 3 pass shave with pretty extensive pickups on my neck (my hair grows in every direction there basically, and I’ve got lots of “angles” on my neck, so I’ve always got to do quite a few pickups), but at the end there wasn’t even the slightest hint of irritation. And despite the fact that I basically did 4 passes over my most sensitive area, even the post shave alum didn’t give any feedback at all. Perfectly BBS, quite an enjoyable shave.

So far, this is looking like another case of “don’t judge a book by its cover”. It’s ugly, but that was a heck of a shave. And considering they’re something like $0.50 in Turkey, it’s a steal.

Looking forward to more shaves with it, I’ll keep you filled in on how it goes.

Great review!! :a29:

Your point is well taken!! The main outcome is the quality of the shave not the fit and finish of the razor!

I used a Yuma a few months ago for a week as part of a pass around. It was so light I decided to weigh it, & other razors to see how they stacked up (all razors were weighed without a blade):

Yuma - 26.2 g
Schick G1 injector - 29.8 g
Travel Tech - 41.8 g
Schick Krona - 37.7 g
Fat Handle Tech - 48.5 g
Red Tip - 66.3 g
Fatip Grande - 67.3 g
Brass Colonial General - 130 g

Another fabulous, irritation free BBS shave today with the Yuma. Used Tabac stick and a third use Astra SP, no complaints whatsoever.
It's funny, when I look at the blade in the razor, it looks way more exposed on one side than the other, yet I still get a perfectly fine shave.

Read your review... and immediately had to order one (around 7 bucks with shipping... too cheap not to try). It got here quick. I just took it out of the mailbox. Mine is not quite as rough as yours... but it is not a pretty sight. Will give it a go tomorrow.

OK... Its hard for me to figure out as to why you did not get a great shave? I guess its a YMMV thing.?

My guess is that is would be his specific razor. The finish on mine is shocking, the blade exposure on the two sides is completely different, yet I somehow still get a good shave with it. It wouldn't surprise me though with such an awful finish that there would be individual razors that wouldn't shave particularly well.

REATTACK: Just finished an outstanding shave. Small Vie Long Horse Hair brush, Noxzama Pre-shave, new Personna Blue, Vintage Williams soap... and the Yuma. This time I used a very light touch and everything seemed to come into alignment. Just ordered 2 more Yuma razors.

I will work this combo for the rest of the week.

REATTACK: Just finished an outstanding shave. Small Vie Long Horse Hair brush, Noxzama Pre-shave, new Personna Blue, Vintage Williams soap... and the Yuma. This time I used a very light touch and everything seemed to come into alignment. Just ordered 2 more Yuma razors.

I will work this combo for the rest of the week.
That sounds like a Yuma Shave.! Where are you getting them from..Ebay? I got mine from a dealer on Ebay.

Top Bottom