What's new

YT SHAVING VIDEOS

I'm on the other side of this. There are several YT shaving videos that I enjoyed. For example, GeoFatBoy's outdoor shaving in the snow was great. And as I was beginning my Wet Shaving adventure, there were several that I watched to pick up tips and techniques. For me, I'm glad that shavers took the time to make them and put them on YT.

It was a youtube video that made me want to start wetshaving :)

He he. One of my favourite finds on YT was parodies of artisanal videos, of people who take themselves way too seriously. Like this classic.

Nothing wrong with artisans and fine handwork, I watch quite a lot of vids of that stuff, and really like them. They are skills and traditions we should be saving and appreciating. Watching these vids are usually a good way for me to relax and recover from the battles of everyday life.

But we all need to be taken down a peg or two if we ever get too pompous about ourselves and our place in the world.

He he. One of my favourite finds on YT was parodies of artisanal videos, of people who take themselves way too seriously. Like this classic.

Nothing wrong with artisans and fine handwork, I watch quite a lot of vids of that stuff, and really like them. They are skills and traditions we should be saving and appreciating. Watching these vids are usually a good way for me to relax and recover from the battles of everyday life.

But we all need to be taken down a peg or two if we ever get too pompous about ourselves and our place in the world.

Oh, that is hilarious!! I think they sell artisanal firewood here in portland :)

I'm on the other side of this. There are several YT shaving videos that I enjoyed. For example, GeoFatBoy's outdoor shaving in the snow was great. And as I was beginning my Wet Shaving adventure, there were several that I watched to pick up tips and techniques. For me, I'm glad that shavers took the time to make them and put them on YT.
Geo is another great one.
Changing some of my technique because of him, got me one of the best shaves I've gotten since I started back. Funny thing is I was also using my shavette for the first time in months too.

IMO, wet shaving is one of those things that never works for everyone (sorta). Definitely hard to take one person's experience with a razor/blade combo and get the same results. However, YouTube has become my main source of TV. I don't always watch a video solely to get the opinion of the product used. The commentary is sometimes the stuff I do come for and the actual products used I have no interest in using, LOL!

I like U-Tube but it can be total bunk, or good information. Problem is many people use U-Tube for posting total nonsense. Also BAD INFO. or want to be movie star.

So as consumers of U-Tube let say everything is not correct, or even close to correct. Yes there is some great stuff on tube. Plussome awful stuff.

Watching another grown man shave can be a strange thing indeed. However, I will say some of them helped me learn to DE shave because I never had anyone show me personally at any point during my life. I learned about angles and pressure from some of the videos.
Same here. Nobody ever taught me how to shave, I just started shaving one day and have been doing it wrong all my life until I started watching YouTube videos and joined this site.

I learn a lot even from watching someone do it wrong on YouTube :)

The YT shave audience is so small. Why are they so scared to do an honest review. It’s not like what they are doing is going to be a life changing endeavor. Are they that hard up for free gear.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I dislike YouTube shave channels, but playing devil's advocate here, as a YouTube reviewer producing a couple of videos per week, you will require a steady supply of often new products to review. The options are to purchase said products and maybe only use them once or twice, or to rely on free items from producers. When a channel has many thousands of followers then those free products may be plentiful, but that may change if negative reviews are made, while constant positive reviews may cost the channel credibility. Once advertising is included and it is possible to monetise the channel then priorities out of necessity may move from being educational, assuming they ever were, to doing whatever is necessary to increase advertising revenue. I would imagine the sole aim of many new channels now is to generate a revenue stream. YouTube is sadly not what it was and like many things it is money which has degraded it.

I dislike YouTube shave channels, but playing devil's advocate here, as a YouTube reviewer producing a couple of videos per week, you will require a steady supply of often new products to review. The options are to purchase said products and maybe only use them once or twice, or to rely on free items from producers. When a channel has many thousands of followers then those free products may be plentiful, but that may change if negative reviews are made, while constant positive reviews may cost the channel credibility. Once advertising is included and it is possible to monetise the channel then priorities out of necessity may move from being educational, assuming they ever were, to doing whatever is necessary to increase advertising revenue. I would imagine the sole aim of many new channels now is to generate a revenue stream. YouTube is sadly not what it was and like many things it is money which has degraded it.
I mostly agree. Many of these YT shave channels have been on for years with low veiewrship. Continuing without changing something will only result in more of the same. I see two ways to possibly do this. Do an honest review and hope people will see that you are authentic and your audience will increase. If you get big enough the free stuff will come. Go the cheap route and get some young cute lather girls to make your lather for you.

Like many here, I started this journey watching those guys for tips and equipment ideas. Now its more entertainment. I enjoyed the humor of SLennon, Kevy, PHF and KSurfs, they are guys who don't take themselves too seriously. They are in the minority that will tell you when they do not like a product. I rarely watch any now, the info on B&B is next level and prefer to spend that time reading here. I do think there are still a few YTS that can add value to a newbie or open folks up to this experience. Some are just in it or the free gear, and I cant blame them there.

Top Bottom