What's new

YT SHAVING VIDEOS

I'm not a fan of YT shaving videos. Watching another guy shave, for me, is akin to watching grass grow. IMO, go shave and report back your opinions on the performance of the razor. I haven't watched all of them, but it seems to me, many of these 'reviewers' spend a heck of a lot of time discussing the shaving products they're using, along with spending an inordinate amount of time 'painting their face' with lather over and over, again and, very little about the actual razor. Finally, after 20 to 30 minutes, they rub their face and announce how great a shave the got.

That's another thing, I've never heard one of these InterWeb reviewers provide much in the way of 'critical analysis' of any razor. So, in my mind, the 'review' is somewhat suspect to begin with.

If, I'm looking for a review of a 'modern' razor, I want to know what material it's made from? What machining process is used, i.e., is it CNC machined, or is it a machinist making 'one offs' in his basement. Both are acceptable. What kind of tolerances do they keep? Are there unique features, e.g., Alignment Pins on the "Baseplate" like the RazoRock Game Changers.

There was one guy that did a simple 'table top' review of several different razors. I gleamed much more from his 7 - 10 minute reviews, than watching a pedantic, 20 - 30 minute 'lathering and shaving' exhibition. This is just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree.

b/r

ON_1

I agree, but at the same time I often have trouble finding written razor reviews (beyond forum posts) and videos are the only things I can find. Video has overtaken the written word on the interwebz.

I don't like that many videos do not provide a critical review. First we have to watch the shave for their commentary, which is often sparse because they are focusing on shaving. Then at the end they don't do a deeper analysis. Beyond that, there are a lot of YT shave personalities who just say that everything is great. That doesn't help us.

I think I’m echoing some of the points already raised here, but I’m not a fan of shaving videos. I did find the straight razor shave videos and honing videos helpful, but the DE videos are mostly a waste of time for me. I do like to hear the details of a razor, with all of its positive and negative points. Comparisons of both cost, quality and effectiveness between razors would also be helpful.

I'm guilty of watching YT shave videos, though for different reasons. My dad had only used the cheap disposable Bic razors and hadn't ever taught me how to shave. Then by the time I needed to shave he was using electric razors. He must have a face made of iron or something because both just rip me apart!

Now that I'm transitioning into DE razors I needed to learn about the technique, angles, stretching the skin, building a decent lather etc. I think this is where there is a bit of usefulness in the YT vids. I guess I just learn differently, because I find it much easier to pick something up if I watch it being done compared to reading about it. It always reminds me of when my dad would teach me something, he'd always say, "Watch my hands, not my lips", this was because your hands are the ones doing the work and you'd have to hold them in certain way.

Granted, I could do without the inane chatter that some of them provide during the shave. I do find myself skipping a these more and more.

N

When I was learning straight razor shaving I found it educational to actually watch straight razor shaves. All of them had slightly different techniques, and I think it helped me a great deal in developing my own.

I agree that DE videos, especially by people who get razors free and always say every product is amazing, are not of as much value.

I have never used a "Cutthroat Razor". In fact, I've never even had a Barber give me a 'Straight Razor' shave. If, I could find a Barber locally, I'd like to give it a go. A "Bucket List" item.

If, I said I've never learned anything from a 'YT' video, I'd be lying. I did learn some brush techniques and a few other things. I've even learned you are suppose to 'Shampoo' your brush every once in awhile. Mine was overdue for a 'apply, rinse and repeat - by 12 years. LOL!

IDK, how the 'InterWeb Influencers' are reimbursed. But, if somebody wanted to give me an $800, beautifully machined, perfectly polished DE razor, I guess I could say nice things about it. However. Ive been accused of being bluntly honest, so I imagine it might be my last 'free' razor. Smiles.

b/r

ON_1

I am with the consensus; these videos have limited appeal for this old guy (probably the wrong generation).

@LoveThatBurn ...I'll have to take a look at "kensurfs". At least it looks interesting.

b/r

ON_1

You wont find anything close to a review from Kensurfs. Nice enough guy, but no reviewer. And certainly not critical - as most of the Youtubers aren't. You can easily tell which brands they are tied to/who they are friends with.

Youl'll most likely not get more information about the razor than what is written in the sales page, but it is nice to see the product in action and maybe hear how it shaves. In the end, you'll never know how you get along until you try it yourself.

That being said, especially if you start out it can be helpful to see how other people are doing their shaves and maybe take some inspiration from that before you eventually find your own way.

@Earl_Grey ....as we all know, in the final analysis it's 'blade to face' that determines success with any blade/razor combo. I'm not a beginner, 30+ years DE shaving, yet I'm still surprised, no matter how good the 'reviewers' opinion, you've still got, maybe a 50-50 chance your beard and skin type will respond in the same manner. I'm always prepared to 'move on' with any razor that doesn't work for me. I said it several times, but if the "Lupo .95" gets the least bit 'bitey', off it goes to "B-S-T".

b/r

ON_1

Top Bottom