What's new

YSL's La Nuit De L'Homme

Anyone else try this? The Basenotes reviews are really terrible, but there is just something in it that I like. Of course, I'm a complete cologne newbie (I've had lots of cologne gifts and never used them) so maybe it's catering to newbies. But then, you'd think they would make the damned stuff cheaper. But I was wondering if anyone more experienced could offer any recommendations of other colognes with that sugary vanilla spiciness.

Thanks!

Raymond

Of the previously mentioned scents, Armani Attitude and Rochas Man are the only 2 I have personally tried. I didnt care for the Rochas Man, but Armani attitude was good while it lasted.

Another one you may like is Dunhill Desire (in the red bottle). It is pretty sweet and heavy on the vanilla. I have a bottle that I keep in the car for those times I forgot to put somethign on before I left the house, or when I finish a round of golf and have to go somewhere before I get a chance to get to the house. Irish shower for the win! lol

Hey, thanks a lot! That will list is exactly what I'm looking for. Now, I have direction!

Thanks again,

Raymond

Funny you mention that. I've had 3 bottles of the Dunhill Desire, and never caught snap to the fact that it is a flask design until I just read your post. lol

Now that I think about it, the bottle is even shaped like a flask, in that it is sort of curved, as well as the flask like lid.

OK, here's an update.

Tom Ford: Tobacco Vanille - heavy tobacco. Heavy vanille. All around heavy cigar shop smell that stays almost cloyingly amber sweet all day.

l'artisan: havana vanille - very vanilla, kinda boozy. almost like a vanilla rum. very sweet and sticky smelling. ok, but kinda straight forward.

C&S Cuba - spicey but not much sweetness going on.

I'll keep updating as I come across more. And more recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

Raymond

I find the tobacco note very muted in TV, it's probably closer to vanilla flavored pipe tobacco than cigars, but I don't smoke pipes and can't say for sure.

I really, really like the scent, but I find it's dominated largely by some of the other notes in the pyramid (Spicy Note, Aromatic Note, Tobacco, Tonka Bean, Tobacco Leaf, Tobacco Flower, Vanilla, Cocoa, Dried Fruit, Sap).

I see you're looking for scents with vanilla notes, I'm going through a little vanilla kick of my own, so I might be able to lend a helping, and enabling, hand. These are ones I've either tried or want to try:

*M. Micallef Note Vanillee
*Santa Maria Novella Tobacco Toscano
*MPG Ambre Précieux
*Guerlain:
-Bois d'Arménie
-Spirituese Double Vanille
-Cuir Beluga
*Caron
-Pour un Homme
-Impact pour un homme
*Eau d'Italie Bois d'Ombrie
*Parfumerie Generale:
-Cadjmere
-Felanilla
*Helmut Lang Men
*Serge Lutens
-Un Bois Vanille
-Muscs Koublaï Khän
*Profumum Vanitas
*L'Occitane Eau de Bavx
*Le Labo Vanilla 44
*Hermèssence Vanille Galante
*Chanel L'Egoiste
*Carven Monsieur Carven
*Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
*Creed Acier Aluminium

I might be forgetting some, but I just did a quick glance through my wardrobe on basenotes and am just trying to remember from the names alone

Thanks!

I like the Tom Ford, so I bought a decant. But then my girlfriend smelled it and thinks there is too much tobacco smell to it. Oh well, can't win them all...

Yeah, I'm into the vanilla smells right now, but the ones I've tried above are a little too straightforward vanilla. I think I'm on the search for something complex and vanilla. But, your tlist gives me a good place to start!

Thanks!
Raymond

A couple that I would put in a very broad vanilla category would include:

Guerlain Habit Rouge
Brooks Brothers 1812

I like both of these very much, and find them both to have decent but not overpowering sillage, and great longevity. I wore Habit Rouge yesterday, and after 15 hours it was still very noticeably present on my wrists. To me, the Habit Rouge is more sweet vanilla, while the 1812 seems to have a bit of "baby powder" mixed in.

Guerlain Habit Rouge
Brooks Brothers 1812

I like both of these very much, and find them both to have decent but not overpowering sillage, and great longevity. I wore Habit Rouge yesterday, and after 15 hours it was still very noticeably present on my wrists. To me, the Habit Rouge is more sweet vanilla, while the 1812 seems to have a bit of "baby powder" mixed in.

:biggrin1: Randy, you and I almost collided! I was just about to suggest Habit Rouge. I find its opening a little spicy but that fades and I'd agree its dry down is more sweet vanilla. Wonderful scent and Luca Turin includes it in his Top Ten Best Masculines.

Guerlain Habit Rouge
Brooks Brothers 1812

Can't believe I forgot Habit Rouge!! It has such a nice drydown with hints of vanilla. It's even more noticable in the EdP formulation, which is my favorite

:biggrin1: Randy, you and I almost collided! I was just about to suggest Habit Rouge. I find its opening a little spicy but that fades and I'd agree its dry down is more sweet vanilla. Wonderful scent and Luca Turin includes it in his Top Ten Best Masculines.

I thought I heard footsteps, and picked up a faint trace of Habit Rouge coming! :lol::lol:

Can't believe I forgot Habit Rouge!! It has such a nice drydown with hints of vanilla. It's even more noticable in the EdP formulation, which is my favorite

I can only imagine how much better the EdP could be, as I've never seen it., only the EdT. But I've heard the EdP is the version you really want.

I can only imagine how much better the EdP could be, as I've never seen it., only the EdT. But I've heard the EdP is the version you really want.

It is basically a different scent, just one with a familiar "flavor" of Habit Rouge. It opens with a slight agarwood/oud note that stays throughout, the drydown is a little more woody, I think because the citrus is much more muted than in the EdC and EdT versions, and then with a great base of vanilla and amber. It doesn't project very well, but it does last for some time and you get some nice wafts of the scent every so often.

Top Bottom