What's new

YSL Relaunches 8 Fragrances - Including M7

Anyone know anytyhing about this YSL relaunch of 8 fragrances, 4 women's fragrances and four men's, including L'Homme, Jazz, Rive Gauche, and one I'm especially interested in, what appears to be a "new" version of M7 - M7 Oud Absolu?

Distributed to the European market only?

From what I've read on basenotes is that they are just relaunches. No reformulations or anything. Will be interested to hear reviews on the M7 once people start getting them.

Oh, about the M7 - oud absolu. I've read YSL put that on there and also put out a statement basically saying "we are the originals to put oud in fragrance and wanted to remind everyone of such".

Same juice different bottles, is that it? For the record, YSL pour l'homme is an excellent fragrance, just extremely well done. I have a small vintage decant that I cherish. If the relaunch is as faithful as they say, this should be a big hit. But probably not nearly as big as the M7 and the M7 Oud Absolu. I have yet to try M7 so perhaps the relaunch will have a "trickle" effect. That said, M7 was the first use of a synthetic oud, wasn't it? The point being that it was more affordable and put "oud" in the hands of everyone. YSL is a great house, highly respectful, I think this relaunch was due.

Last edited:
That's interesting that YSL believes it necessary to remind the market that they were here first with synthetic oud in a fragrance, but I guess with oud being the "in" note today, it makes sense they want to capitalize on their historical first mover position.

That's interesting that YSL believes it necessary to remind the market that they were here first with synthetic oud in a fragrance, but I guess with oud being the "in" note today, it makes sense they want to capitalize on their historical first mover position.

I think it makes sense from a marketing standpoint. I mean look at every house now. Everyone of them have an oud fragrance. Hell, I'm wearing By Kilian Incense Oud today and there is no mention of oud in any of the fragrance pyramids I've seen (and no oud scent to my nose at least). Yet, they still charge $400 for it. All because of oud. Look at Creed now with Royal Oud and all the Bond's.

All these houses are taking advantage of the new "in" note and charging bundles for it. YSL, by launching this both reminds the customers that hey "YSL has an oud fragrance and were the first" and also "it is affordable". I've yet to try M7 (or actually any of these relaunches) and am looking forward to doing so. Nice to see a house paying homage to its roots.

Great that they are relaunching M7. It's one of my favorites. The new bottles look pretty cool too. if the price is right i might have to pick up jazz or rive gauche...

Top Bottom