What's new

YSL Opium for Men... Fascinating

Just tried it for the first time. I got a decant from Archfire. Very interesting to my nose. What do you guys think. I am thinking about taking a chance and wearing it tomorrow in the 100 degree heat. People seem to say it is a cold weather fragrance, but I don't see why. It is quite strong, but I think it would work in the heat.....maybe?

It wears strong on me. I have only worn it in winter. I'm afraid it would project too much with body heat in the summer months.

I havent tried that one, and it's pretty well regarded. From what I've read about it, it's got a bit of 80s vibe that is pretty strong.
Try it and see how it works.

The women's version makes me nutty. Have known a few women who wore and wore it to great effect.

This is one scent where its summer editions really are useful. Then again, you won't be hounded off the street for wearing it in hot weather (though people who wear Joop Homme should be).
Cheers,
Renato

Thanks guys. I put only a few sprays on this morning, but it is only about 86 degrees right now. Should hit 100 in a few hours. I will be out and about so I will see if it works. I have a feeling I might smell like a walking, burning stick of incense. But so far, smells okay.

Opium for Men is very sweet, and sometimes sweet scents can become cloying in warm weather. But as usual, it's all in the perception of the wearer. I light application might be preferred. You might need to give it several wearings, applying more and less, to see if you like it better one way or the other.

Opium for Men is very sweet, and sometimes sweet scents can become cloying in warm weather. But as usual, it's all in the perception of the wearer. I light application might be preferred. You might need to give it several wearings, applying more and less, to see if you like it better one way or the other.

I had no problem with it today. I actually do not think I sprayed enough on. I went super light on the trigger because of how strong everyone says it is....I did not want to regret wearing it mid day. However, it is pretty much worn off me at this point. I will try it a few more times as all of next week is supposed to be hot.

It is sweet. Strange that I like it because I usually shy away from any type of sweet fragrance. I would say that this and Habit Rouge are the only fragrances with a bit of sweetness in them that I seem to enjoy.

I found this stuff about 10 years ago. I spent about 20+ min trying different fragrances at Macy's and this was the one that really caught my fancy. I don't really wear colognes or scents beyond deodorant, and only recently aftershave, too often these days, but I still keep Opium around for the rare night out.

Also, the EDP version of Opium PH is not only a lot stronger and longer lasting than the EDT, it also has slightly different notes and is not as fresh. It is one I only wear on cold winter nights.
Regards,
Renato

I am a bit surprised to see all the love for Opium. So far, YSL has 3 big wins in my book. Opium, Body Kouros, and Rive Gauche.

Just tried it for the first time. I got a decant from Archfire. Very interesting to my nose. What do you guys think. I am thinking about taking a chance and wearing it tomorrow in the 100 degree heat. People seem to say it is a cold weather fragrance, but I don't see why. It is quite strong, but I think it would work in the heat.....maybe?

Wear it, and you will be in for quite a surprise. The heat makes the notes just pop off your skin. Or perhaps I should say my skin, as you will be the judge of said statement. I haven't heard this fragrance mentioned in a while. Old school? Maybe. Dated? some may say so. This is a well blended fragrance with a clear cut sense of direction. When I say that I mean the note structure is such that all know their place, and take it. Either the EDP, and or the EDT are both exelent fragrances. When Jacques CavaLLier created this fragrance he was on top of his game.

Last edited:
i don't like it.
better "Body Kouros" of YSL and "La nuit de l'homme"(not L"'homme").the last is perfect for the summer....and the first is my prefered

Kouros in summer weather is pretty good too.
Cheers,
Renato

Ooo, I can't do Kouros. I tried, but it is not for me. I know a lot of guys here love it though.

i don't like it.
better "Body Kouros" of YSL and "La nuit de l'homme"(not L"'homme").the last is perfect for the summer....and the first is my prefered

Body Kouros might be my absolute favorite fragrance I have found thus far. I do not like La nuit at all. Or the other two offerings from YSL in the same bottles. They just do not do it for me. The ladies seem to really like them though.

Ooo, I can't do Kouros. I tried, but it is not for me. I know a lot of guys here love it though.

I must confess to having bought Kouros and really not liking it much at all, despite several attempts at wearing it. I only really warmed to it after I put it on on a hot day.
Regards,
Renato

I must confess to having bought Kouros and really not liking it much at all, despite several attempts at wearing it. I only really warmed to it after I put it on on a hot day.
Regards,
Renato

Now you are making me think I should have kept my decant for the summer..........

Maybe I will have to order another. I just hate the opening of it......maybe I will wait a few months before trying it again.

Now you are making me think I should have kept my decant for the summer..........

Maybe I will have to order another. I just hate the opening of it......maybe I will wait a few months before trying it again.

Shame you let the decant go. Though there's a good chance you might still not like it in summer.

The curious thing is that Kouros has had a lot of lighter summer flankers. And when I've put them on I just keep thinking "they're good, but not as good as the real thing". Kouros is at the end of the day, an ultra fresh scent, which I didn't think worked well in cool weather - though plenty would disagree with me.

Back to Opium. If you can find it anywhere, check out "Opium pour Homme Poésie de Chine Eau d'Orient" - a lighter, more wearable version of Opium that I came across and was instantly taken by.
The only thing wrong with it is the long name.
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom