What's new

Ysl m7

Reminds me of Luden's cherry cough drops, but in a good way! It's gourmandy and uplifting. I think it's a really nice once-in-a-while cold weather scent. I'm a fan of Rive Gauche and Body Kouros. Haven't tried regular Kouros yet.

I'd like to see what everyone says about this one. M7 has been on my want list for a while but its one that I never really peruse going after. On paper it sounds good. But this doesn't really seem to have any "in between" or "so so" reviews. Its either great or its disgusting.

Rive Gauche is sounding more and more interesting every time I hear about it. I cant think of any "barber shop" frags in my collection or that I have ever smelled in general so idk what I could compare it to.

Got a bottle of Body Kouros otw to me now from a trade on Basenotes. This is a blind trade for me as I know nothing about and have never tried Body Kouros. Im hoping it lives up to the hype.

I have the M7 Oud Absolu, which is currently pretty easy to find in the UK (unlike original M7) and I assume elsewhere too. I never sampled the original or the reforumlation, but I am quite pleased with the Oud Absolu, although many people who are familiar with the first incarnation seem to think it is a poor update of a classic. My only issue with it is projection/longevity. Apparently the original is a monster in this regard and the Oud Absolu seems like it will be at the opening, but 2 or 3 hours later it is all gone. I did wonder if it was my skin, as others report good performance in this area, but now I am starting to suspect that there might be a note in there that makes me go more 'anosmic' to it than I do with other fragrances.

On the whole though I like it. The progression (even if it is quick) and overall quality make it worth the money I spent on it.

Is it still in production? I remember reading somewhere that it had been discontinued. Regardless, I sampled it and found it to be only okay.

Is it still in production? I remember reading somewhere that it had been discontinued. Regardless, I sampled it and found it to be only okay.

It is.....it is a reformulated version though. As always, people rave about how much better the original was. I have only smelled the reformulated one, and I hated it. Really, really hated it. I think I am in the minority.

Nope, it's been discontinued and replaced with M7 Oud Absolu. The consensus at basenotes is that it's not the same juice. I haven't sniffed the new one, but I agree that the old one was only ok at best.

Nope, it's been discontinued and replaced with M7 Oud Absolu. The consensus at basenotes is that it's not the same juice. I haven't sniffed the new one, but I agree that the old one was only ok at best.

So are these bottles....
http://www.yslbeautyus.com/Rive-Gau...efault,pd.html?start=6&cgid=fragrance-for-him
http://www.yslbeautyus.com/Jazz/536YSL,default,pd.html?start=5&cgid=fragrance-for-him
http://www.yslbeautyus.com/M7-Oud-Absolu/535YSL,default,pd.html?start=4&cgid=fragrance-for-him

replacing all the originals. For instance, the metal Rive Gauche bottle and the rectangular glass Jazz bottle are not longer being made?

Correct. The older bottles are now out of production.

The original M7 is oft credited for being the first main stream designer frag to make use of oud (though to clear, it was no doubt a synthetic oud, not real oud). I believe it was developed on Tom Ford's watch at YSL.

Never got around to trying that one, but a lot of the young guys at Basenotes were kind of crazy about it. I don't really know how much of a player the oud was in the original scent. All of the comments I see about had it being likened to a cherry cough drop.

I think among designers scents, YSL has a pretty good track record in the world of men's scents. They may not all be to everyone's tastes, but they have put out some really good stuff. Opium for Men, Kouros, Body Kouros, Rive Gauche, La Nuit, M7. That's quite a lineup and they all seem to be edgier than most designer scents.

It is.....it is a reformulated version though. As always, people rave about how much better the original was. I have only smelled the reformulated one, and I hated it. Really, really hated it. I think I am in the minority.

You may not like oud, but I can assure you, there's no oud to be found in this stuff.

Whatever it is, its reputation was definitely not founded on the tepid, watery substitute sold today.

I have a full bottle of the original M7. It is probably my most favorite scent, definitely top 10. It reminds me a bit of gucci pour homme. It's very heavy, huge sillage and density. It's got oud in it, synthetic oud of course, not as much as a montale perfume, but more balanced with the other ingredients. You can definitely smell the phenolic note in the top when you spray it on. I assume thats why people liken it to cherry cough syrup. After a few minutes it dies down and you're left with a LOT of amber and what smells cedary with the oud intermingled.

If you're looking for a heavy woody amber scent, M7 is amazing. Its downside is that it's too potent and heavy. I made the mistake of applying 1 spray to the chest under my clothes in summer at night to go out. I got in a car 30 minutes later and choked out the 4 other passengers, they all rolled down the windows immediately! Definitely a winter scent...

I bought a bottle of the reformulated M7 in the amber bottle (unlike the original, my formulation has only one side coloured amber and the other three sides clear) and I absolutely wouldn't buy it again. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't say it's good. I don't detect any aoud in there, and its scent smells like an old air freshener my family used to use.

I have a vintage decant and kinda like it. Although it doesn't have any real oud in it, it does have and is famous for it's synthetic version of oud, which may not be used today but is much more preferable to what is currently in use. At least by me. But what I like best is that M7 has a fairly standard construction opening with citrus and developing woody notes like any other '80's powerhouse frag. The only difference is the synth-oud note in the base, which starts early in the middle notes. It never overpowers and is quite nice. I never picked up any cherry notes, either. M7 and Le labo's Oud are the only synth oud fragrances I like, honestly.

I did actually test this the other day, it did come across as a warm winter fragrance to me, though for some reason the sales-person insisted on putting
the test on a card. I always feel you cannot fully appreciate the scent unless it's applied to the skin.
Didn't dislike M7 and the bottles are fab, but much prefer Rive Gauche and Kouros.

Top Bottom