What's new

You've been given $2,500.

... and you must buy an espresso machine and a grinder.
Rules:
1) Equipment must be new or refurbished from a reputable dealer (no craigslist/ebay/etc). Clearance items are ok.
2) Overspending by up to $250 is allowed, but not encouraged
3) Do not include purchase of accessories (tamper/knock box/towels/etc).
4) Limit to 1 pairing per post.
5) Link to website.
6) Discuss your choices

My first pairing:

Izzo Alex II (HX) from Chris Coffee Service - Currently $1750
Mazzer Super Jolly from Chris Coffee Service - $679

Personally, I'm interested in a Heat Exchanger machine. Although Izzo has released their Model III for dual boiler, the Alex II HX machine is still more than capable of producing excellent 'spro or milk drinks for a small crowd. Also the ability to plumb a water source and drain without being a requirement is a huge advantage if the machine may have to move. Rotary pump and E61 group are a plus.

The Mazzer SJ has been a standard for home baristas for quite a while. There aren't any new advances in grinding coming down the road to change that. It's not in the "titan" class of grinders, but 64mm flat burrs are nothing to scoff at.

Let's see what you all come up with!

(Also, I just observed that there is no coffee smiley. Please write your congressman concerning this issue of critical importance).

Here's another one...

Portapresso Rosco Hand Grinder - $441.23
Vibiemme Domobar Super HX from 1st-line - $2099

The Rosco is one of the best manual grinders for espresso. It's more expensive than the Pharos by OE, but I couldn't find that for sale on the Orphan Espresso website. There is also a mini version available, and I'm not sure of how the sizes of each would fit in my hand.

The Vibiemme or VBM is very well thought of in home barista circles. It's the only E61 machine on the market that uses the original E61 schematic, has the best user manual of any espresso machine (written by Randy Glass), and, like the Alex II, can be switched from tank to plumb easily.

$450 Vario-W new off of ebay
QM67 currently at Chriscoffee for $1,900

under budget by $150...which i am using to get some more razors!!

Put gas in the truck
pay a bill or ttwofer something to put on the grill
some beer to go with the food
maybe a bottle of whiskey

$450 Vario-W new off of ebay
QM67 currently at Chriscoffee for $1,900

under budget by $150...which i am using to get some more razors!!

Good pairing. The QM db machine doesn't excite me at all. It just seems very... unfinished. Lot of good things I've heard about the Vario though. I have an Encore for pourover/aeropress and couldn't be happier (well... I'm sure I could​ be. But ignorance is bliss).

Ok I'll play even at the risk of resurrecting my rad.
Gillette
1930 new president
1960 executive
1907 silver gorham
Abc w/ scrolling
A new standard in gold
That's all I can think of at the moment.

Ok I'll play even at the risk of resurrecting my rad.
Gillette
1930 new president
1960 executive
1907 silver gorham
Abc w/ scrolling
A new standard in gold
That's all I can think of at the moment.

HAH! You do realize this is posted in the Café right? I'm just trying to gauge the variety [of espresso machines/grinders] available for this budget, and take a look at machines I may not have considered.

With that budget, I think you need to also consider a vacuum pot, pour overs, kettles, roaster, as well as the espresso machine & grinder. :thumbup:
But seriously, I am little help here.

... and you must buy an espresso machine and a grinder.
Rules:
1) Equipment must be new or refurbished from a reputable dealer (no craigslist/ebay/etc). Clearance items are ok.
2) Overspending by up to $250 is allowed, but not encouraged
3) Do not include purchase of accessories (tamper/knock box/towels/etc).
4) Limit to 1 pairing per post.
5) Link to website.
6) Discuss your choices

My first pairing:

Izzo Alex II (HX) from Chris Coffee Service - Currently $1750
Mazzer Super Jolly from Chris Coffee Service - $679

Personally, I'm interested in a Heat Exchanger machine. Although Izzo has released their Model III for dual boiler, the Alex II HX machine is still more than capable of producing excellent 'spro or milk drinks for a small crowd. Also the ability to plumb a water source and drain without being a requirement is a huge advantage if the machine may have to move. Rotary pump and E61 group are a plus.

The Mazzer SJ has been a standard for home baristas for quite a while. There aren't any new advances in grinding coming down the road to change that. It's not in the "titan" class of grinders, but 64mm flat burrs are nothing to scoff at.

Let's see what you all come up with!

(Also, I just observed that there is no coffee smiley. Please write your congressman concerning this issue of critical importance).
Forgive my coffee ignorance but, what makes a grinder so amazing they can charge $600 for it? I'm not trying to troll but what makes those grinders so amazingly better than say a $60 magic bullet? Is this similar to people who buy $250 badger brushes? In that the quality is negligible compared to say a $100 brush but the handle material etc. is what makes it more expensive. If someone can explain the difference, it would be much appreciated.

The grinder is key to good coffee. Or so they say. With espresso you want fine and consistently sized grounds. If you don't the quality of your shot may suffer. More money can get you a better quality grind. You also want something that will grind quickly but not so quickly it burns the beans.

It does boil down to personal preference. Some people would never spend more than $30 on a watch if they bought one at all. That said, some people also consider Rolex as a minimum standard (I wish that we're my problem).

That said, a Mazzer Mini and the best HX machine I could get. Maybe a Rocket.

Last edited:
With that budget, I think you need to also consider a vacuum pot, pour overs, kettles, roaster, as well as the espresso machine & grinder. :thumbup:
But seriously, I am little help here.
I've already got most of that, with the exception of the vac pot. I've got an Aeropress, FP, Chemex, Indian Coffee Filter, Ceramic Mellita, and Mypressi. When I home roast, I use a heat gun and a hand-crank whirly pop.

I'm really ready to dive headfirst into home espresso. But I want to buy gear that will delay upgrade-itus as long as possible. A $600+ Silvia and $345 Rocky, while capable machines, have significant limitations (not to mention, there are now better options in that price range), not the least of which are temp stability, steam power, grind adjustment, grind retention, etc.
Would I get shot for saying "$2750 gift card for Noah's Bagel shop"?

I dunno... do they make a good shot of espresso? Do they serve it in a ceramic cup? Is it less than a few minutes walking distance from your house?

Forgive my coffee ignorance but, what makes a grinder so amazing they can charge $600 for it? I'm not trying to troll but what makes those grinders so amazingly better than say a $60 magic bullet? Is this similar to people who buy $250 badger brushes? In that the quality is negligible compared to say a $100 brush but the handle material etc. is what makes it more expensive. If someone can explain the difference, it would be much appreciated.

Venkyle, that's a really good question actually. And the question that most people new to specialty coffee need answered. The first and most important difference is the grind mechanism. Any grinder that uses a blade is simply slicing the beans willy-nilly. There is no level of consistency. If you grind in the magic bullet, then sift your grounds at many different levels, you'll find such a huge variety of grind size. The effect this has on the cup of coffee is the brew extracting an many different rates, which leads to a bland cup of coffee. Now the differences between inexpensive espresso grinders and the very expensive titan class grinders are much more complicated and convoluted, but are equally as important. The things that add on to the cost are burr size, burr type (flat vs ceramic), burr stability, motor power, build quality.

Even a high quality grinder specifically designed for coffee brewing (NOT espresso brewing) can cost over $1000. What you're getting with these machines is incredibly high quality workmanship, Precision engineered parts, attention to detail, and in most cases, a company devoted specifically to coffee excellence versus a company that produces kitchen electronics that sees an opportunity in coffee (Breville, LG, etc). There's a lot more too it, but that's for a different thread.

Top Bottom