What's new

YouTube Series Format?

YouTube Series Format?

• Old Man Teaching Young Man?

• Off-Camera Narration?

• Something Else (Specify)?

• You're Nuts, Forget It.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Gents-- After seeing a posting in MSN suggesting someone do a YouTube video on shaving, and numerous "newbie" posts about products and techniques, I'm seriously toying with the idea of creating a YouTube "series" on wetshaving. There would be an "introductory episode" with several follow-up "episodes" on specific topics like DE technique, brushes, prep, aftershave, etc. I have a professional broadcasting background, so I have the tools (or have access to them) to make a decent video.

In what kind of format do you think this should be presented? As an older man teaching an off-camera younger man about shaving? A narrated video (off camera)? Some other way? Or am I just off my rocker and I should just forget about it?

--Mark

My fav. TV show ever was the wonder years, a narrated show, so I've got to go with "a narrated show" as my vote. All of the best shows/movies/plays/etc are narrated (OK fine.. but some of them are :001_smile ).

Why not just a well organized, well done tutorial? Something like the Lynn Abrams thing that popped up a while ago, but for DE shaving. Even though I've never so much as touched a straight, seeing that video definitely opened my eyes up to wetshaving in general.

I really like the apprentice/master approach. It recaptures what seems to be a common wish I've read countless times on the forums--that a man wishes he could have had an introduction to wet shaving from his dad, grandad, uncle, what have you.

I for one never had this experience, but have already given my nephew a shaving lesson which both of us enjoyed immensely.

I also think it would give *your* video a unique "hook," one that might prove attractive to potential viewers.

Mark,

I think that your idea to post some good DE content on You Tube is a excellent idea. I have been shaving with a DE for all of 2 1/2 weeks now. I just last night watched the B&B dvd. I can't tell you how helpful it was to see all the gear and then to watch a few demonstrations.

My two cents:
Might I suggest that you steer away from anything too creative or sappy though. And concentrate on high quality production instead... camera angle, lighting, sound, sequences. There are important techniques and observations that need to be addressed that could get lost in the translation of a storyline style approach. That said I would not want to watch a cut and dry technical record of how one shaves and the tools and materials used kind of video either. You mention that you have access to all the gear so that's half the battle.

I hope that you give it a whirl. Please keep us up to date.

Warmest regards,
Tito

I voted for "off camera narration", but for some reason, keep thinking of those old Joe Namath Noxzema commercials...

Randy

When I think of the off camera naration what comes to mind is those Oral B tooth brush ads. I assume you have the same ones or very similar in the US.

Main with towel Wrapped around him stand with his back to us in front of a mirror

"This is Rob. We can't show you his face because he's a dentist"

Though in the case of the DE Shavers...

"This is Joel. He won't show us his face as he's just tried out his new Feather straight"

How about old man teaching old man, that is experienced shaver teaching unexperienced shaver...

Rookies are plentiful.. :001_smile

Pilfer said:
When I think of the off camera naration what comes to mind is those Oral B tooth brush ads. I assume you have the same ones or very similar in the US.

Main with towel Wrapped around him stand with his back to us in front of a mirror

"This is Rob. We can't show you his face because he's a dentist"

Though in the case of the DE Shavers...

"This is Joel. He won't show us his face as he's just tried out his new Feather straight"

I like this idea, but change from Feather straight to Mach 3. I'm sure it's going to resonate with a lot of people.

Yes, agreed. A red raw shaving rash from canned cream and a blunt mach3. Blunt because they are too damn expensive to not try to use beyond their useful shaving life. The only reason I said the straight was that Joel posted the results of his first feather shave a while back and did it look painful. It was the sort of thing you see after someone has the top layers of skin scrubbed of for a face lift. Microdermabrasion I think it's called.

haha...really cool idea. Check out this animation I came across on another forum a while back:

Posting & you

It would be really funny if the shaving video had this kind of old fashioned narration. :biggrin: :lol:

kasabian said:
haha...really cool idea. Check out this animation I came across on another forum a while back:

Posting & you

It would be really funny if the shaving video had this kind of old fashioned narration. :biggrin: :lol:
What are the odds that we would both post a link to the same thing on the same day? I received this in an email this morning and posted it in the barbershop. I guess this means we are either both geniuses or both idiots.

NMMB said:
My fav. TV show ever was the wonder years, a narrated show, so I've got to go with "a narrated show" as my vote. All of the best shows/movies/plays/etc are narrated (OK fine.. but some of them are :001_smile ).
:w00t: :w00t: YES! I love that show too, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Funny I saw this topic because I was already planning on doing a video of my own sometime.

I think the episodes would be the best way to go about it. Because you don't want to make one video with too little information or maybe enough information but too long. Decent size episodes with great information is the way to do it.

I'd have to vote for "off camera narration" in the style of the NASA Challenger Disaster Investigation Summary video. Lots of graphics and explanation with slow motion video, various camera angles, and still photography. The text should be scientific and to the point, so jokes or grandstanding. Just the facts.

Then again, I'm kinda morbidly weird.

How about a good looking lady, definitely on camera teaching, well that part is not important, old, young, middle age.
If you want to grab the attention of a potential DE user this should at lest get your foot in the door.

Ron

Arby said:
How about a good looking lady, definitely on camera teaching

Now that's a very good idea! I can see a very hot lady in wife beater and boxers going through all the motions. With the voice over narration.:yesnod:

Top Bottom