What's new

Youtube never ceases to amaze ...

Many are called. Few are chosen.

Some guys are just destined to be Mach III or Fusion or Good News type shavers. But I taught myself how to hone and shave with a straight razor before Al Gore invented the internet, with no mentor and no books or videos, and I got an awful lot of awful shaves along the way.

Yes, but along the way, you discovered THE METHOD.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yesterday I watched a man explain how to shave with a kamisori. He started by explaining how Chinese monks originally brought the kamisori style blade to Japan. In fact, it was Korean monks and not Chinese. He then began cutting his face up with the kamisori. And he is only half done here. Oh, the power of the internet! (Well, I guess you can't blame a guy for trying.)

View attachment 1299096
He is probably an attorney

HAHAHA actually there were several guys, mostly members of this forum, who collaborated on it. I get more credit than I deserve. I would still be rubbing razors on rocks if not for guys like @Seraphim and @Blix and others who got me and others started on film and on balsa.
Long before I registered I read posts by Seraphim extolling the virtues of film, and the "gentlemanly discussions" therein.

To the many users involved in creating and refining The Method, thank you. I'd still be using DE if I couldn't hone my own blades, and I'm still cautious about the outlay for stones that may or may not be worth it. At least film is consistent and proven to work.

Long before I registered I read posts by Seraphim extolling the virtues of film, and the "gentlemanly discussions" therein.

To the many users involved in creating and refining The Method, thank you. I'd still be using DE if I couldn't hone my own blades, and I'm still cautious about the outlay for stones that may or may not be worth it. At least film is consistent and proven to work.
The method definitely works; we know that for sure. But to really get behind this, you would need to compare a "method" edge to a jnat edge, to a suehiro edge, Belgian cuticle, la lune, and the list goes on. Many professionals finish with the Suehiro 20k that retails for about $280. Some jnat stones go for several thousand dollars. Chevy makes a car the definitely works. But some prefer BMWs, Mercedes or Bentley. To satisfy your curiosity, when your razors need honing you might send out to various professionals and request a specific edge. That would be a cost effective effort. Or, just spend a lot on stones and decide for yourself. Personally. I like the comfort of a jnat edge compared to the ultra-sharp method edge. But I have a razor out for honing now and its coming back with a suehiro 20k edge. If it's too sharp, I'll tame it on my jnat. But I am curious to see how the suehiro edge shaves.

These videos are great. There was a hilarious one I saw, which I can no longer find, where someone is cutting up their face ... the POSTED COMMENTS ARE GOLD.

He must have taken it down. I can't find it either. But if you want to see someone using a kamisori the right way, here is a good example.

That is really good technique, especially the stretching part.
I used to think that I did enough stretching but after watching this I'll definitely see improvement in the shave.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I watched the video again and I am amazed at this young man's technique. He uses his lips and tongue for stretching while shaving his chin and mustache area, and he pulls on his ear too. He is using a new Iwasaki and he has touched it up on a Suehiro stone. That is also amazing as well, as I have a new Iwasaki and they come through incredibly sharp. I will likely watch this video a few more times as I seek to improve my technique.

Just did a quick search and found this for all who asked.

Jason Fraser..... Kamisori shaving 101: learning to shave with my kamisori traditional japanese straight razor....

Top Bottom