What's new

You're gonna think I am nuts, but....

I am using my various shave soaps that I don't care for on my kids for their baths, and it is having a very positive impact on their lives. Here in the freezing Northeast, their young skin gets very dry. No matter how much moisturizer you put on them, it seems to be never enough. Both of them fight eczema all winter, with prescription ointments. Since I have been using some high quality toiltetries instead of the "Spongebob soap" or whatever other advertising-laden crap they usually like, their skin has been much better. Not rocket-science, I guess, but you tend not to think about these things beforehand.

The downside, of course, is now they are spoiled. Today I heard, "he got the coconut soap and I only got the vanilla, NO FAIR!"

Not nuts, just aware of the fact that the BS marketed to kids and purchased by their parents (to keep them happy) is not necessarily the best thing for their health, etc. As you have learned it is not even a matter of what is best, but what is not detrimental.. This nation has a long and shameful record of exploiting its people for the benefit of the economic elites (read generous campaign contributors). When the highest court in the land has given money the same protection as free speech you know there is a troubled ethos.

guenron said:
Not nuts, just aware of the fact that the BS marketed to kids and purchased by their parents (to keep them happy) is not necessarily the best thing for their health, etc. As you have learned it is not even a matter of what is best, but what is not detrimental.. This nation has a long and shameful record of exploiting its people for the benefit of the economic elites (read generous campaign contributors). When the highest court in the land has given money the same protection as free speech you know there is a troubled ethos.
The nag factor is playing more and more into the hands of the marketers, if its not something they can't live without, its an "Ask your doctor about......." commercial that takes away the quality of care you receive from your physician for fear he may lose a customer if he does not grant you your prescription request. I HATE the drug commercials.

I also only take our kids to McDonalds about once every two months on average as a "special" occasion. My wife is a great cook and I insist we eat at home together as a family, even if I am working nights or days, we make the time.

On another note Scotto, which soaps EXACTLY were you using? My kids have excema too and I would LOVE to try something like that for them (they use Johnsons baby soap BTW)

Thanks guys

Wow - I've done the EXACT same thing.

When I had a bunch of shave soaps left over from "Chelsea's Soap Garden" (via e-Bay) I not only gave some as gifts, but I used them in the shower and with my boys.

They were WONDERFUL, inexpensive and everyone gave great reviews on them.

Not nuts at all, bud!

Art,

I have been using a combination of what I keep in the shower (which is a lot of different stuff :blushing: ) such as Asquith and Somerset soap, Baxters body wash, etc. I also use a glycerin soap from Chelsea's soap garden whose aroma I wasn't that thrilled with (the "Katmandu"; I love the ginger-lime for shaving).

I am not sure I would use this stuff on a real young baby, but for slightly older kids it is fine. They love the scents. They also think it is hilarious that I can't hold onto the darn Chelsea's soap- it is just too slippery. :wink:

After the bath, I get them with a good dose of Aveeno moisturizer, and all is well.

Dude - that stuff is the most slippery item I've ever seen in the shower (well, aside from that time in college...:001_tt2: )

Anyhow - considering what some "premium" bath bars cost - that stuff is a pittance.

Scotto, they are 3 and 7, we just use the Johnsons baby soap because of the "no tear" shampoo. And we don't want to buy the Barney or Dora soaps, etc....although they got their share of it from the Grandparent and Aunts and Uncles...ugh!! Then we use that stuff...in moderation!

I'll have to keep an eye out for the those soaps!

Thanks guys!

we started using the olive oil soap right after christmas. It hasn't been that cold here yet, but usuakky the dry skin sets in. After 2 showers with this soap, no dry skin.

mark tssb

Top Bottom