What's new

Your Worst SR Injury?

Title says it all. What's the worst injury you've received from a straight razor?
Maybe it was from shaving, or while stropping or just plain handling.

I have a couple...

The first is near my left ear. I was shaving XTG when my Russian speaking mother-in-law jerked the bathroom door open, concerned where my wife and son were. Well, I jerked and gave myself an inch long vertical cut that was about an 1/8th of an inch deep. I ended up using liquid stitches and butterfly Band-Aids to seal it up, should have gotten stitches. The worst part was we were getting ready for a wedding, so after the bleeding stopped, away we went.

The second one was done while I was restoring a Klas Tornblom 5/8 shoulderless. I was sanding with 3K WD sand paper when I made a slip and I cut my right pointer finger really bad between the nail and the finger pad. Talk about something that took forever to heal... OWCH.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For me it was a cut on the lower left corner of my chin during my early days SR shaving. Only about 6mm long and not deep but took days to heal as I kept on forgetting about it each shave and kept on shaving over it. All is good now.

Like all cuts, nicks and weepers, it was due to lack of concentration and/or poor technique. I now have my technique pretty much down to pat but I occasionally let my concentration wander. The edge let's me know when this happens.

Mine was after year of experience. I rarely nicked myself anymore. That changed with a WTG pass on my left cheek. Maybe the lather was dry? Well I must have added pressure and the blade dug into my skin. No slicing motion. I really don't know how it happened. I say it's the worst at left a permanent scar.

I almost quit after that. I've never had a cut that bad while using a DE. My wife was a little upset. She tells me not to continue cutting my beautiful face as she didn't marry me for my brains. :blush:

Last edited:
My worst accident thus far was while honing. I was using a 6" x 2" perforated DMT hone and was gripping the hone by the sides with the fingers of my off-hand. At one point during the honing process, one of my fingertips rose above the honing surface. As the razor went past, it cleanly sliced off a sizeable portion of skin without any resistance. Lots of blood, and bandages for a week or two afterwards. It all grew back fine in the end, but it was enough to convince me to never, never grip the hone by the sides with my fingers when honing. Ever since, I've only honed with the off-hand completely outstretched as a support for the hone to rest on.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a couple...

The first is near my left ear. I was shaving XTG when my Russian speaking mother-in-law jerked the bathroom door open, concerned where my wife and son were. Well, I jerked and gave myself an inch long vertical cut that was about an 1/8th of an inch deep. I ended up using liquid stitches and butterfly Band-Aids to seal it up, should have gotten stitches. The worst part was we were getting ready for a wedding, so after the bleeding stopped, away we went.

The second one was done while I was restoring a Klas Tornblom 5/8 shoulderless. I was sanding with 3K WD sand paper when I made a slip and I cut my right pointer finger really bad between the nail and the finger pad. Talk about something that took forever to heal... OWCH.
I've heard that mother in law story before! Never gets old!

Nothing needing more than styptic so far, and little of that. But now I'm worried. Better SR shavers than I have paid a price.

Most annoying injury? Nicked (lightly) my brand new Kanayama 30000 first time out. Inattention/distraction of course. That Kanayama finish will not be possible to replicate after sanding the nick out.

just a close call while honing so far. didnt draw blood.

20201018_113248.jpg

before I started with SR's I tried using a *** magic barber shavette. cut myself pretty good with that. Im willing to believe partially inexperience........but that thing is a wobbly trap of death. will never touch a shavette again.

here is the evil offender:

20191214_133047.jpg

dang......just noticed that the 1305 had lettering still on the sticker then!!!

camo

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
While honing, wearing shorts, I dropped a razor that was already at the .1u balsa stage. Made a deep and long cut. <EDIT> on my calf, not on my Wilhelm. </EDIT>

Cut my thumb on video a while back but apart from not wanting to stop bleeding while the camera was on, it was pretty minor. I haven't had a serious shaving cut with a straight razor in probably 25 years, at least.

Last edited:
When learning I was trying to figure out the wtg pass on my mustache area, I sliced my philtrum (had to look this word up). Apparently this is the name for the vertical lines between your nose and lips, I cut the left side deeply. It took several weeks to completely heal. I was in college so I just didn't shave during that time.

Last edited:
Mine was using a shavette on June 2nd of this year (I documented it in the "What did use today....." thread - LOL). I was still very new to SR shaving:

I was finishing the right side of my lower lip/chin area, getting ready to rinse and switch to my left hand, when BAM! I looked away for an instant, prematurely turning my head mid-stroke, and I had a nasty nasty cut. This must be the worst shaving cut I have ever had.

The worst part is I tried to fix my error with a styptic pencil. I think it was too bad and deep of a cut to help and only made matters worse. I have a scar that is only going away now, and I think the styptic made it worse.

Last edited:
I get far less nicks with a SR than I have with a DE. That could be down to me being more careful but skin stretching probably helps too.

My worst and only injury to speak of was on the XTG cheek pass six months in. The razor had a pointy toe that dug into my cheek. Too much pressure on the toe. I felt nothing on my face but the stroke didn’t feel right and I stopped to readjust. I got a small paper cut about 4mm long that stopped bleeding by the end of the shave and cleaned up easily with cold water. No permanent damage. Totally healed in a few days.

That little paper cut was the worst I’ve had after nearly 11 months of straight razor shaving. I’m sure that I’ve saved myself countless DE nicks in that time.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Ever so thin cut from the top of my cheekbone to my jawline, didn’t feel a thing, then saw the blood on what looked like a 3 inch paper cut. It was the 2nd stroke on my face. I finished with another razor and went to examine the blade. There was nick in the blade and it sliced me. Never noticed anything on the strop and the razor had recently been used and I thought it was tip top. A reminder to keep my glasses on and double check the edge, it healed up in a few days, kids thought it was ridiculous.

Not brave. There is normally almost no pain sensation when you cut yourself with a shave-ready SR. If you do cut yourself, you may feel it happening but not painfully enough even to go "ouch!", - you might think a curse word or two. Quite often you won't even know that you have cut yourself until you see the blood.

Absolutely right. Knife (or any blade for that matter) wounds don't hurt much, if the blade is very sharp. I never cut myself to the point of bleeding with SRs, but I've been "knifed" before. After the wound cools down, one can feel pain (talking about knives now) commensurate with the depth of the wound. Now,.....bullet wounds hurt like a SOB right away. Knife (sword, SR, etc) wounds are usually very clean, and defined. They don't get readily infected, and heal fast. Bullet wounds involve a lot of tearing (as opposed to clean slicing), and the bullets themselves carry all kinds of contaminants that they deposit deep into one's body. I've been knifed, and shot before. I'll take a knife over bullet any time.

Top Bottom