What's new

Your vote for worst cream ever?

Worst smell and performance in a cream I've tried is Shea Moisture Shaving butter - also the award for worst name - performance is bad, smell is worse - tried to recycle it among friends and none will bite...

HaHaHa. Love the answer. Another case of YMMV. Cremo and JM Feaser are two of my favorites, and for the very reasons you don't like them (sort of).

It is a tie between Cremo Cream and JM Fraser.

Both of them:

smell like some sort of institutional floor cleaner and/or disinfectant;
have a goopy/gloppy consistency;
leave a slimy residue that is hard to rinse clean; and
provide little in the way of beard softening.

Thanks,
Mike

What is it with so many guys complaining about no lather from no-lather creams? Is there some secret underground club that makes a ritual of furiously whipping such creams in a vain attempt to get lather? If so, why does such a club exist?

This runs the gamit with a lot of big names that were once the bomb in their day. I do see the mistake between non lathering creams people make here. I never liked Derby which so far is the only one I will avoid. Never used Burts Bees as I never thought it to be a brush cream, Lo'Octtaine too as well as Creamo I never thought to use with a brush.

This runs the gamit with a lot of big names that were once the bomb in their day. I do see the mistake between non lathering creams people make here. I never liked Derby which so far is the only one I will avoid. Never used Burts Bees as I never thought it to be a brush cream, Lo'Octtaine too as well as Creamo I never thought to use with a brush.

Actually, L'Occitane cream lathers up just wonderfully with a brush. Nice, thick, shiny, hydrated lather that is quite stable. (The stuff I got a year ago anyway... Not sure if there was a reformulation at some point.)

Lord Emofresh is certainly the worst shaving cream I've ever tried, outside of canned goo.

What is it with so many guys complaining about no lather from no-lather creams? Is there some secret underground club that makes a ritual of furiously whipping such creams in a vain attempt to get lather? If so, why does such a club exist?

The first rule of Lather Club is that you DO NOT TALK about Lather Club. :death:

Lord Emofresh is certainly the worst shaving cream I've ever tried, outside of canned goo.

Why would you even try a shaving cream with emo in the name? Friggin' scene kids. :rolleyes:

proxy.php

I reckon I haven't tried enough to have found a bad cream as of yet. But if I had to pick on one ... ARKO Lemon (Limon) just for its furniture polish lemony smell. I'm about thru with that tube ... yeah, I still use it - Great Stuff except the smell.

Some guys have posted creams that went rancid ... I know it depends on what's in the cream ... but how long can you store the average cream before it goes bad? (I want to stock up on ARKO Commando before supply is gone.)

Aveda Shave Cream ...a (purposely) non lathering cream that just severely gunges up my blade(s), gives no comfort, glide, or support ...and thus is an horrendous shave! Expensive crap, although I believe there is a re-formulated version now available - I wonder why!

While I am sure it has its fans, I can just not get past the scent of the Godrej creams. The artificial synthetic scents just turn my stomach.

I got a tube of this cream in a b/s/t buy, and was pretty excited because it contained some Lanolin. I started the shave and was hoping that the scent would die down or turn into something pleasant. It did not. It smells 100% like very strong laundry detergent/dishwashing soap. After the first pass I put it up in the den and there it sits. I was going to PIF it to my buddys brother but I fear he'll never shave again it I give him something so awful smelling :)

Aveda Shave Cream ...a (purposely) non lathering cream that just severely gunges up my blade(s), gives no comfort, glide, or support ...and thus is an horrendous shave! Expensive crap, although I believe there is a re-formulated version now available - I wonder why!

If you're talking about the Pure-Formance shave cream, then no, they haven't reformulated it. I just called and asked. The new cream does replace the last men's shave cream they offered. I have no experience with the last one, but the new one is pretty descent. It's non-lathering, and works similar to Pacific shave oil, but with a little more coverage, smoother glide, and more staying power--it doesn't dry out like Pacific (in my experience). You do have to use a good amount of it, so it's definitely not a bargain, even compared to luxury creams. Makes a good travel cream, but I doubt I'll get it again.

In case no one mentioned Caswell Massey, please add that to the pile. It's certainly described as a lathering cream for use with a brush, but I defy anyone to get a decent lather with it.

Top Bottom