What's new

Your Vape Story

Hey all, started vaping in 2013 to help the wife and I stop using tobacco. As many of you know, this quickly turned into another hobby and now I own an assortment of mech mods, VW mods, tanks and drippers. I build my own coils and have begun making my own e-juice. The true benefit is that the wife and I have been free of cigs for the past 2 years and really don't miss it.

Here you go Prof. I gave my two tube mech mods (Silver bullet and a Nemesis clone) to my son-in-law.
Those who've been on BL for a while may remember the hutch from such posts as "My Pipe Station" a few years back. As far as my juice mixing gear, it makes me feel like Walter White from "Breaking Bad".
$IMG_0496.JPG$IMG_0497.JPG$IMG_0521.JPG

Last edited:
Hey,

I started vaping in Dec 2008. Promised my wife I would quit smoking when I got out of the service and tried everything from patches to gums, to acupuncture and hypnotism.

Somehow I landed on a small forum with a few thousand members in the corner of the internet and was introduced to E-cigs. Back then we pretty well only had a few models to choose from and I tried them all starting with a Peewee(RN4081). The others were the DSE801(penstyle), and DSE901(Mini). Options were limited

One of the forum members, Trog, made something one day called the Screwdriver as it looked like a screwdriver. It was the first of its kind and provided much more reliability than the Chinese products we'd all been using. It was a hit and swept through a number of the budding ecig communities.

From there "modding" started to take off. Suppliers were creating their own, people were making all kinds of mods out of flashlights. altoid containers, tic tac containers, basically anything you could fit a battery and some electronics in, you would use.

Puresmoker came out with one of the first big commercial mods called the "Prodigy". I was lucky enough to be one of the first 10 people to get one and try it. It was also one of the first High voltage mods running at 5V. Amazing mod...very simple but was extremely reliable due to the simplicity. This was also when the term E-cig started to turn into Personal Vaporizor(or PV) to separate ourselves from cigarettes in light of legal battles being fought and shipments of products being illegally seized by customs.

In 2009 I became part of the forum team and between 2009 and 2010, the forum exploded with members. The Personal Vaporizor scene had taken off.

Around the time of the Prodigy V2, the 510 connection was becoming popular and appeared to be turning into an industry standard. It was very similar to the DSE901 in performance aside from the threading being on the atomizer instead of the battery. Seemed to create better reliability with devices as the battery portions would get gunked up with liquid and stop functioning.

I used the Prodigy V3 for a number of years until I purchased the Innokin itaste VTR when it released and am currently using it today.

So all in all, 7 years of vaping, 60,850 cigarettes avoided, and have probably saved $12,000 in 7 years after subtracting my cost of PV equipment.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have been going about 3 weeks now with a iTazte VTR. A year or so I started using an eGo system, but the batteries died and I gave up. The all in one variable voltage batteries are not cheap. I like that this iTazte uses Samsung 18650, which are pretty cheap (even for the name brand batteries), and that the logic is in the unit, not the battery. I smoked menthol cigarettes for years, and have been vaping Tru-Vapor 24mg Menthol. I tried some flavors in the store, but I am used to a menthol hit, and none of the flavors did anything for me.

on edit: I still smoke my pipe- maybe 3 bowls a week. I will never give that up. It is a chance to just kick back and relax, and I really don't inhale pipe smoke much anymore.

Last edited:
Great to hear!

Keep it up, and keep trying out different juices along the way. You never know what will draw you in. :thumbup1:

When did we get a vaping forum?

Currently use mostly the provari 3 and varporshark dna. Been through a couple dozen other brands that broke, but these have lasted. Right now the tanks are aspire & vivi nova. Make my own liquids.

Started in spring 2011 after seeing a buddy witn a mod--a buddy that rolled the same brand of cigarette tobacco as me. So I thought it would be fun to do. I posted that somewhere along with an intro to vaping.

When did we get a vaping forum?

Currently use mostly the provari 3 and varporshark dna. Been through a couple dozen other brands that broke, but these have lasted. Right now the tanks are aspire & vivi nova. Make my own liquids.

Started in spring 2011 after seeing a buddy witn a mod--a buddy that rolled the same brand of cigarette tobacco as me. So I thought it would be fun to do. I posted that somewhere along with an intro to vaping.
A few months back. What are some of your favourite mixes? Guessing you never gave in to the whole subohming thing?

I keep flavors very simple. Straight tobacco, apple, pear, maybe a rum or something, and not much more. Never liked other fruits or candy/baked goods. Still trying to find a way to do chocolate, either with tobacco or straight or other mixes, but think it's basically hopeless. The nicotine level's usually 4-6 mg/l, though do I still smoke. I found that if I set it too low I would just keep vaping non stop. I also keep an 18mg bottle around for use in a carto for a couple of quick puffs.

I don't see any point to subohm since I vape in the 9-14W range and prefer a regulated voltage and they go high enough now that I use a higher coil resistance and even gave up on 1.5 ohm. Seems to me higher resistance coils tend to last longer because of the heavier wire. A couple years back you couldn't get a regulated mod over 6V (and very few reliable ones even got there), so mechanicals made more sense. I was always hunting for 1.2 ohm coils then, so I could understand subohm for some folks that vape hotter.

Last edited:
I just recently started a couple weeks ago. A buddy of mine wanted a straight razor and I wanted to start vaping to help me quit dipping. He hooked me up with a sigelei 150w variable with a dark horse rda and I restored a nice W&B with some homemade cocobolo scales and got him an Illinois strop. It was a good trade in my book. I've since started building could and trying a ton of different juice from mtbakervapor because you can customize your juice. I go max vg every time and just cloud away. It's been a fun new hobby. The wife doesn't love it though and told me if I want a motorcycle I need to give up one of the two hobbies. Straights or vaping. Vaping seems pretty easy to drop for a new Harley. Just sayin lol

Oh yes. I've been using kanthal 24 gauge macro coils and working in the .3-.4 ohms range at about 50-60 watts. Roughly 3-4.5 volts.

I started last year because I did not like the smell of smoking at home - not really with a goal of switching completely.
Somehow after about a week I had no desire to smoke a conventional cigarette anymore - now vaping only for approx. 450 days.

I started out with some cheap chinese clone of an ego battery and unnamed atomizer, quickly followed by an evod set - this was a significant improvement.
Fast forward to now I am using an egrip when out and working and a vamo with aerotank at home.

For me it was a relief to be able to quit smoking, I don't think I'd have made it otherwise.
br,
ToM

Yeah, tom. I'm not completely off the smokes....I still enjoy the occasional pipe/cigar/roll-up but it's no longer a habit and hasn't been for months after many years, which is nice. The smell of the vapour seems to be fleeting, tobacco smoke lingers. I can vape away when everyone has gone to bed and no one is any the wiser, with a pipe the whole house knows about it for days.

Like many of us, I started with the "Cig-A-Likes" and with those discovered that vaping would work for me as after about 2 weeks I had quit the Stinkies forever and never looked back.

Fast forward a few years. I stated with 36mg of nick (I was a Stogie Sucker) and I am now down to 6mg. Using variouse VW devices and building my own coils.

ATM, I have a Sigelei 30 watt mini in my hand with Kanger Subtank with the RBA head installed sporting a 0.39 ohm coil.

Enjoy your morning vape with your morning shave like I do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey UncleRJ. Happy to report I had an afternoon shave & vape today.

Nice to have you around here. What liquid are you vaping today?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey UncleRJ. Happy to report I had an afternoon shave & vape today.

Nice to have you around here. What liquid are you vaping today?

Turkish Classic Tobacco from Real Tobacco Extracts. This is a NET E-Liquid and it is made from real Turkish Tobacco leaves hence the fantastic flavor!

I started with a Joytech 510, with the replaceable atty's, and the refillable wick filled tips that system used. I mainly used it for the times I couldn't actually or easily have a cig. The system had it's limitations (and there were not many other options on the market yet for different systems)... battery life wasn't really great so you had to buy and carry several, the atty's had a pretty limited lifespan to me, I'd get a month ish from one, assuming it never got dry hit, it was easy to over fill the wick tips and drown the atty, which also helped kill them fast... just really the over all tech had a long way to go. I eventually had my batteries stop taking charges, ran low on the replaceable atomizers, and dropped them.

4 or so years later a friend got me into mech mods, with carto's and tanks, using the 18350 batteries. Battery life was greatly improved, but recharge time on them was way longer. Carto lifespan wasn't a ton different than the 510 disposable atomizers, the carto and tank system would leak sometimes, and still flood the carto pretty often on me (it wasn't too bad to clear the flooding at least). The variety and over all flavor of the juices had vastly improved, and I stuck with those on and off for a good couple years or so, in which time my co-worker got me up to some higher end mech mods, and some rebuildable tank setups ( Smoketech RSST Genesis, Kayfun clone...), and he'd do all the rebuilding when needed on them. I then dropped my interest in them for almost 2 years.

A couple weeks ago I suddenly started thinking about them again, then last week I went out and picked up some fresh juices, a Kanger subox mini kit, a derringer RDA, and some rebuilding supplies so start making my own coils and builds. Enjoying it again (for now). Still not 100% off real cigs, but they are greatly reduced (until beers are in the mix, then all bets are off). I also will always enjoy my tobacco pipes the relaxation that hobby gives me, but I'm liking the advancements in the vaping since my last go around (and really like it compared to the original tech that was available).

Been vaping for 3 weeks now. I am actually astonished how well it is actually helping my ditch the cigrits. Now if I could only convince my folks to give it a go. The stubborn, old burros won't even entertain one single puff off my vaper. At least I got my sister and brother-in-law and 4 good friends to see the light...

I ended up deciding to try vaping after a couple of years of heavy smoking...this round. Was over a pack and a half a day...starting using E-Cigs just over a month ago. I set a date, which was 2.5 weeks ago, that I would no longer purchase any cigarettes (at least by the pack), but would be willing to bum the odd one. The first week I had 5, the second I had 2, and I'm done. Currently using a Cool Fire IV and a Eleaf Istick mini, both with Nautilus Mini tanks. I'm running 24mg in one, 18 in the other, and I have a Kanger Mini-Protank II that I run 6mg in, for watching TV/driving, etc. The flavours I'm using are Sweet Bean Buzz (coffee) in 24, Whip-It (coffee, but more of a mocha flavour) in 18, and Show Me Your Goodies (Licorice), all from a local vape shop.

Top Bottom