What's new

Your Vape Story

What is your vaping story? Why did you start? How long have you been vaping? What did you start out with? What are you using now? What do you see as your vaping future?

I started as an alternative to cigs. It has been about three and a half years now. I have only had about 5 cigarettes in that time frame. I started on a local e-cig brand but about 10 months ago I purchased a Kangertech Evod. My original plan was to wean myself off of these but I love it so much that I decided to stick with it.

What's your story?

Started because I love nicotine and smoking but didn't want to go back to cigarettes.
Started vaping on and off about a year and a half ago with a Halo Triton kit. Now I am using mechs, box mods, RDA's, and sub ohm tanks.
I hope to continue vaping but with the new EU laws coming into effect soon that may prove to be difficult.

Because my wife works at a head shop that sells vape stuff so i get a lot of it for free. Plus its kinda fun :) my first setup was an itaste 134 mini.

Last edited:
I started with an EVOD because I had lots of friends that smoked and I needed something to put in my mouth so that I wouldn't be tempted into joining them. Before I started vaping I would probably smoke 2-4 cigarettes a week generally while drinking and on the weekends.

I started out with 36mg/ml in the eVod and over a year got down around 18 after I learned proper technique. During this time I was still smoking my pipe and the occasional cigar, but I wasn't tempted to smoke cigarettes unless my battery wore down or I forgot my EVOD. I didn't vape often, but I think I went with a high mg/ml to try to replicate the feeling of a cigarette after you hadn't had one for days.

I went through a ton of various flavors, mostly tobaccos. I never found one that I really enjoyed. I tried some other flavors, but in the EVOD everything was muted. I finally settled on a Lemon Menthol flavor for a while. Then I discovered a high menthol tobacco flavor made with naturally extracted tobacco. It wasn't super tasty, but five or six puffs felt the closest to smoking a cigarette and I was satisfied.

When I went to a local shop to buy some replacement coils and liquid there was a huge sale on mech equipment. I walked out with a TriDent RDA (authentic), Cronus (clone), two Sanyo batteries, charger, and 15ml of liquid for around $100. I've actually saved money over buying replacement coils since my purchase. I still use that setup, but I'm a little bit more likely to put the TriDent on a Nemesis (clone) that I picked up.

Since switching to the RDA I prefer most things in 3mg/ml and I always keep a 0 around for when I felt like I've had too much nicotine, but I want to keep vaping. I was on a quest to finish up a half bottle of the menthol with naturally extracted tobacco in 8 and I tried it in my RDA. It was crazy strong, and I don't recommend it.

I like my ohms above 1 and prefer my vape to be moderately warm, but not hot. I prefer custards (fav is Vintage's The Drifer), strawberry milks (fav is Oregon Vapor's Pink Bunny), & blueberry flavors (fave is Propaganda's Widow Maker).

Have been vaping for maybe 1.5 years now. Can't even remember the name of the first type of vape pen I started with - one of those clearomizers with the three long wicks that eventually got mucked up and you'd have to buy a whole new one. Using that kind I was vaping during the week, but still smoking on the weekends. That went for about six months.

Been on the ProTank 2 for over a year now and that's when vaping got serious. I still smoke when I am on vacation internationally, but that's basically when smokes are $1.50 a pack. I can't remember my last cigarette on American soil. Part of this seriousness involves building coils (32 kanthal, 2mm silica wick, 4/3 wraps, 1.8 ohms, yum). The Wife is using a Protank 3 so I am building coils for her, too (32 kanthal, 3mm silica wick, 5/4 wraps, 1.5 ohms). I favor fruit ejuices. She favors cinnamon.

We've been using 12mg nicotine pretty consistently, though The Wife has been working down to 9 and sometimes 6mg. Her son (long before me) makes his own ejuice which is delicious and I always get some for the holidays. I figure I will quit entirely once the state of Illinois taxes the hell out of this, which is just a matter of time. But I feel a lot more prepared to quit entirely than I ever did before.

Back in the spring of 2013 I decided it was time to get back in shape. I had gained 20+ lbs after having injured my back, taking a desk job and starting to take insulin to control my diabetes. When I was active in martial arts my prime fighting weight was ~156 lbs.. At the time I decided to get back in shape I was at ~180, with most of the excess weight in my midsection. I'd been a smoker for about 30 years at about 1/2 pack a day.

I decided to start running. Well I tried, but I soon hit the wall and couldn't go for more than 4-5 minutes at a time. I knew it was time to quit smoking or die trying. I bought a Blu kit on Aug 22, 2013 and after a week of using it I bought a C-twist and a couple Pro-tanks. I haven't smoked since Aug 23, 2013 and have no desire to go back to cigarettes.

After only a week of not smoking my running improved greatly. I was able to complete the C25k program and have lost 16 lbs and kept it off.

I've since gone to a mech, VV and box modes with various toppers. I also make my own liquid and supply a couple of my friends with a custom recipe I devised. I neither feel the need or want to reduce the nicotine content of my juice after reading some of the benefits of nicotine. (which has sparked more than a couple 'discussion' with my wife) The only thing I've adjusted is reducing the PG content of my juices after reading that PG metabolizes into lactic acid...not good for endurance sports.

I've tried many times and many methods to quit smoking without success. None of them came close to working for me like vaping did. And for that, my wife and I are most thankful.

It was my wife's idea a couple of years ago to quit smoking and save money. I adapted to the clearomizer-type vaporizers but she never did. She still smokes cigarettes but I've vaped exclusively since we started and haven't had one cigarette. She smokes in front of me and even smokes in the car when we're together, but it doesn't bother me a bit. As long as I get my nicotine and can blow out a cloud of smoke, I guess I'm good. I smoked for 35 years before this. I honestly haven't even taken a drag off somebody else's cigarette since I started using the clearomizer.

Work rules state that we can only use e-cigs/vaporizers in designated smoking areas so I'm also always around people there smoking regular cigs and I have have any urge to smoke one. I would say the ratio of smokers/vapers at work is already at around 50/50.

Plus, if I can't get to a regular smoking area or just don't feel like it, I can just duck in the bathroom and take a few hits and I'm good.

I recently switched from the standard clearomizer type to a self-contained Joyetech EGrip and so far really love it.

I've never been a heavy smoker but over the past few years a couple a week was turning into a couple a day, adding beer to the mix upped the tobacco consumption again. I had tried a few of the e-cigarette & slimline pen style devices and wasn't very impressed. A few months back on a trip to the pub, which is vaping friendly, four of the guys I was with had RBAs & mods. It was the first evening in the pub I've spent for 15 years or so without having a smoke, the next morning my lungs felt good and I decided to start investigating vaping.

I've since picked up a Smok M80, Lemo Drop & Cthulhu RBAs and there's the beginnings of a collection of little bottles of juice. I've had the occassional ciggarette when things have went pear shaped; Smok died on me, ran out of juice on a night out, wicking/coil failure but for the most part it's going well.

The EU laws are worrying, would be shame for a vaping clampdown just after I've gotten a taste for it.

I've been vaping for a few years now. I started with eGo setups and have tried everything from dripping to different tanks. I finally settled down with an Orchid v6 for both my wife and I, running between 0.8 and 1.0 resistance. I'm using an Atomo mechanical, but I plan on getting a good regulated box mod soon. I make my own juice as well. Generally I stick with custard and lemonade type flavors.

I've been vaping for about a year and a half, up until now I have been on a kangertech EVOD ego style battery with a kanger protank 2 mini, it has kept me from the stinkies for sure. I really love my new set-up BTW, it tates so good and blows some clouds!:thumbup1:

I've been vaping for a few years now. I started with eGo setups and have tried everything from dripping to different tanks. I finally settled down with an Orchid v6 for both my wife and I, running between 0.8 and 1.0 resistance. I'm using an Atomo mechanical, but I plan on getting a good regulated box mod soon. I make my own juice as well. Generally I stick with custard and lemonade type flavors.
I think I am going to give DIY a shot myself, it seems fairly easy lol I am sure it's not that easy, but I feel like I can save tons of money that way.

I started dabbling with vaping 2 1/2 years ago with a Blu kit after smoking a 1/2 pack a day. It sucked and I went back to smoking. I started seeing people with eGo setups at work and decided to give it a try again. Used those and clearos for a bit, a few months later got an MVP 1.5 and was hooked.

I progressed rather quickly, got into rebuildables. Now I drip and DIY juice exclusively. Much better hobby than the stinkies!

Mostly rocking a Derringer with a Sigelei 100W V2 and the occasional SMPL or Stingray X.

I have been vaping 2 years. Started with a Provari and RSST.

Now I use Rollers, BCVs and Kuro mods. For toppers I use Krakens, my own modified Orchids and the only dripper is an Odin.

Favorite Juices are:
Kiss My Vape Chris-P Cream
Kiss My Vape Crusty Apple
Kiss My Vape Creamy Straw
South Bays Finest Hermosa
Special Mix of 60% Kiss My Vape Chris-P Cream and 40% Kiss My Vape Crusty Apple
Special Mix 80% Kiss My Vape Creamy Straw and 20% Space Jam Galactica
Special Mix 50% Kiss My Vape Creamy Straw and 50% Juicy Ohms' Ohms Sweet Ohms

Greg W.

Smoked from like 15 to 26. Took Wellbutrin/Zyban and it was like magic! I quit smoking for 5 years. I got divorced which was very stressful and started smoking again. To avoid the much higher cost I started rolling my own using tubes and Gambler pipe tobacco. Smoked these for another 4 years or soand just couldn't quit. I cannot keep my medical clearance for work and take Wellbutrin again but nothing else worked for me. Started vaping with 6mg concentration and moved down to 0mg over about a 6 month period and then quit vaping. Now I'm nicotene free again.

Congrats on getting off the stinkies! My end goal is to quit vaping entirely as well. I've gotten down to 1.5ml (I mix my own) over the course of two and a half years. Well done!

Started a few months back after a few shops moved in locally. Having someone on hand to talk with about quitting analogs and switching really helped ease the transition.
The gentleman who runs the local shop helped figure out what level of nicotine to start with and has a huge selection of handmade juices on hand to sample. I initially started with tobacco and menthol flavors having been a smoker of regular and menthol cigarettes for the past 13 years. I was quite surprised to find out I prefer more desert flavors and fruits, he also makes a excellent apple jack flavor.
I moved quickly from a ego style pen to a istick 50w and Atlantis 2. I also have a arctic and kanger turbo as I like to flip flavors a lot and find that the different tanks really excel with different flavors/blends, much like my pipes used to.
The key for me was replacing the ritual of smoking with a different ritual, and vaping has fit the bill and I feel better for it.
I'm now a month free of analogs and the pipe.

Happy vaping everyone.

Top Bottom