What's new

Your Usual Rose Cologne Thread, With A Twist

Right, so here it is:

I'm not going to ask in a point blank manner what the best men's rose cologne is, because everyone's taste is different, and when it comes to roses, there are definitely subjective opinions in play.

That said, I'm coming from a basenotes-informed perspective here, and I want to know from you guys here on B&B what I should add to it.

So far I'm aware of quite a few fragrances that utilize rose as their primary ingredient -

• Czech & Speake No. 88, Rose, and Dark Rose
  • Andy Tauer Incense Rose
  • Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie
  • Le Labo Rose 31
  • Creed Windsor, Fleurs de Bulgarie, and Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare
  • Dominico Caraceni 1913
  • Zino by Davidoff
  • Frédéric Malle Une Rose
  • Montale's Black Aoud
  • Parfums de Rosine's Twill Rose
  • Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit

Hammam Bouquet and roses are frequently mentioned in the same sentence, but I won't wear anything from a bottle with a bow on it, sorry :001_tongu

In terms of truly being a rose scent, what am I missing? Anything to add to this list?

Sorry, but I can't help.............. but that list does look awesome! I recently bought a bottle of "88" and I'm looking forward to trying it out.
BTW- there is nothing wrong with bottles wearing bows :wink2:

Having tried quite a few on your list (and many not on it...) THE best Rose fragrance IMO is....

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

with honorable mention to Washingston Tremlett's Black Tie. You should really add that to your list. Although the last one is more of a saffron/rose, it is very, very nicely blended.

A lot of people also seem to like Montale's Black Aoud, though IMO it is very dark and gothic. Le Labo is also very nice, but the woods in that outshine the rose, making this a more woodsy rather then rosey fragrance. However, it does dry down very nicely though....

Other Roses worth trying out would be:
L'Artisan - Voleur de Roses
Les Parfums de Rosine - Rose d'Homme
The Different Company - Rose Poivrée
Montale - Attar

There are several Montale offerings that are very similar...

Montale - Aoud Damascus
Montale - Oud Queen Roses
Montale - Aoud Roses Pentals

.. but it might be worth sampling them all, because as you so rightly put it: Your mileage moes vary! :)

Good Luck :)

EDIT: There are also a couple of Amouage scents that are supposed to be really good, but I do not remember their names, nor have a tried them.....

Last edited:
You could possibly look at the following to add to that list:

Ungaro III
Alain Delon Iquitos
Tauer Une Rose Chyprée
Amouage Lyric Man

I have tested Paestum Rose and SL's Majeste La Rose; and they are very nice roses. I have Zino Davidoff (just applied some this morning) and, while I like it very much, I have never thought of it as rose. Listed as a fougere, I have always thought of it as a woody oriental, on the order of sandalwood and even spanish leather. Since you mentioned it in your list, I am reconsidering; perhaps there is a hint of rose, but not nearly like Paestum and Majeste.

Last edited:
Just checked Basenotes out of curiosity, and, yes, rose is listed as a middle note in Zino Davidoff. But there are many notes listed, and I personally do not think that rose stands out enough to call this a rose fragrance. But, again, I like it very much.

Hammam Bouquet and roses are frequently mentioned in the same sentence, but I won't wear anything from a bottle with a bow on it, sorry

Hammam Bouquet is a plenty weird scent in its way, but I wouldn't hold the rose bow against it. All the Pens have that bow.

While it's technically more expensive than Windsor, there's a relatively new scent from By Killian called Rose Oud that has some fans.

Last edited:
Although it has much more floral than rose, give Caron Number 3/The Third Man a try. Wonderful herb-floral scent that evolves beautifully.

Although it has much more floral than rose, give Caron Number 3/The Third Man a try. Wonderful herb-floral scent that evolves beautifully.

Yeah that one's on my list, I went looking for it today actually. No one carries it in their stores, although one guy I came across seems willing to try. May end up just getting it offline. I really like Caron.

My current favorites are:

L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
Les Parfums de Rosine Rose d'Homme
Montale Black Aoud
Montale Attar

I really really really really really love Domenico Caraceni 1913. Haven't tried many other roses besides C&S 88, and I personally think DC1913 blows it away.

I really really really really really love Domenico Caraceni 1913. Haven't tried many other roses besides C&S 88, and I personally think DC1913 blows it away.

DC 1913 is great stuff. When I tried a decant I really liked it but pegged it as something I couldn't really pull off, and thus wouldn't wear enough to justify a purchase. I may change my mind on that at some point, however, and pick up a bottle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom