What's new

Your ultimate travel kit

My trip is closing in, so is time to look for a good kit suitable for international travel. It will be a 15-day long trip across 4 countries, and I plan to shave every 2nd day. This is what I've been researching so far, and my short experience traveling with gear, although I've never traveled by air after becoming a wet shaver some 8 months ago.

Brush: I'm leaning towards synthetics since they dry faster and don't develop funky smells for improper drying. Although the Simpson Wee Scot does looks cool. Don't have any experience with it, so I hope I can get some feedback from you guys.

Razor: I have a few options that I can take, all Gillettes. A super-speed, a black tip, an English tech and a Super 84. I'm leaning towards the Super 84 since is one of my favorites, and is my current travel razor.

Soap: Tabac stick by far. Although I might slip a small tub of scooped out TOBS in the bag for special occasions.

Aftershave: I have a travel bottle of Proraso balm. I don't feel like air traveling with an alcohol-based AS anyway.

DOPP bag: Peak Design Wash Pouch. Is already on the mail, and I plan to do a review and a video once I receive it.

As for blades, I'll have to either purchase locally or drop a box of Astra green on my checked baggage.

Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

all of that should work. or anything similar. if you're checking bags, you can take most anything you want in it, because it really doesn't take up much space. definitely take a few spare blades in your checked bags. having familiarity with your gear makes for a regular, nice shave. trying to chase down an unknown component will complicate the trip. having something to use for a day or two in your carry on is a good idea, but anything but wet shaving gear is easy to pick up at any destination.

I have a Tom Bihn 3-1-1 bag as my carry on/small weekend Dopp. Trac II if I'm flying commercial, feather SS or a straight or two if I'm not. Wee Scott and a stick of speick and travel sized everything else.

I also have a LL Bean Medium travel bag that I can really load up and work out of it for a couple months.

I'm happy using by badgers on the road, and would only use a synth on an actual travel day. now... I don't even bother, I'l just air out my badgers when I get home, or not shave that day. you don't shave on an actual travel day, you can take whatever you want for a brush if you prefer something beyond a synth.

Nice travel kit you're building. I'll show you mine:

Brush: Mühle synthetic metal handle
Razor: Merkur 34C semper fidelis (sometimes Maravilla 4 Piece)
Blades: Astra / Shark Chrome
Soap: LaToja Stick
Aftershave: Floid (H. Witch Hazel when on plane)
Dopp bag: Hanging one, looks like the Komalc one only I bought it per 8€ at a local store. It was branded as make up travel kit but you should be open minded ;)

It all depends on when and where im going.

Carry on only;

Cartridge razor and small can of Gillette gel.

In a suitcase;

Razor - DE89
Soap - Palmolive
Brush - Omega synthetic
Aftershave - Nivea

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword Classic razor, a plastic blade carrier, so I have blades, and somewhere to ditch spent blades, a stick of Palmolive, and a synthetic brush. Cheap, effective, and easily replaceable if lost, stolen or damaged. Depending on the trip, I might take the Dovo shavette along too.

Wilkinson Sword Classic razor, a plastic blade carrier, so I have blades, and somewhere to ditch spent blades, a stick of Palmolive, and a synthetic brush. Cheap, effective, and easily replaceable if lost, stolen or damaged. Depending on the trip, I might take the Dovo shavette along too.
I almost forgot about a blade bank. I do have a vintage Gillette chromed bank, but I'll cry if I lose it. So I also have a cheap plastic bank that came with some Derby blades that I never liked, so I can use that one, which has the added bonus of a slot for used blades.

Nice kit!

My travel kit (in a compact Eagle Creek Dopp kit):
Lord L6 razor
La Toja shave stick
Wee Scot brush
Small container of AS

Nice.

My travel door kit generally includes

Parker Variant
Fine stout synthetic brush
Tabac and Arko sticks for small variety
Feather blades (unless a flight)
Executive Shaving balm
Alum block.

Great kit, hope you enjoy the trip!

Mine doesn't change much since I almost never travel and either check my bags or drive.
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger travel brush (never had an issue of it getting funky)
Razor: Gillette Super Speed black handle flare tip (good middle of the road razor)
Blades: just put in a fresh pack of BICs
Blade bank: a little Altoids like container that I nipped the edge off the lid, just large enough so the blades can check in but they can't check out (sort of like the banks on the Schick injector cartridges)
Pre-shave: a little tin of Proraso menthol
Cream: a little tin of what I believe is TOBS Peppermint
Soap: Speick stick
Aftershave: a little spritz bottle of Lucky Tiger Aspen
Cologne: nothing at the moment, was thinking about that earlier today....Mudder Focker is kind of festive
Misc: pack of alum match sticks

Contained in a Koby leak resistant bag which is in a Hazard 4 toiletry bag

Looks like a great kit. I use a synthetic brush when traveling, as they dry quickly, and I don’t want to stick a wet/damp badger or boar brush into a kit/bag. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to figure out how to face lather with a synthetic (or else I would always bring my Irisch Moos shaving stick), so I bring a lightweight copper bowl for lathering with a small tub of cream (usually Lisa’s Premium, and this time of year usually Florida Freeze, as my winter travel is usually to warmer climes). I usually buy cheap blades at a drugstore when I arrive with a carry-on, as fortunately my face doesn’t care much what blades I use. I randomly select a razor for each trip, and carry it in a luxurious Waterfield leather razor case (as it spiffs up my hotel bathroom). The two-oz Chatillon Lux aftershaves always work for me.

I enjoy shaving even more when traveling, in part cuz I love those hotel round mirrors that make everything appear larger than it is (including my face).

Checking a suitcase means you can do as you wish. However, I would certainly use a synthetic brush-- and never take an heirloom razor.

Sounds like you have it figured out. Enjoy your sojourn.

The Wee Scot is a good choice, but it is a very small brush. You can get a small pill bottle at almost any pharmacy for free that with a few holes drilled in the cap makes a good case for the Wee Scot and takes up minimal space. I prefer my Simpson Major in super for what I consider the superior feel as well as the turnback design.

I can weigh in on the Wee Scot. I have read about this brush for a long time, but always hesitated buying one online. I happened to be in a store a couple of weeks ago that sold shaving supplies, and saw the Wee Scot in person. It was almost funny - like a novelty. In the spur of the moment, I bought it ($30-something, I think). Well, it produces a great lather. I would not hesitate including the Wee Scot as part of my travel kit. In fact, I plan to do just that on my next trip. Previously used a Dovo travel brush (too heavy) or an old Caswell-Massey (not dense enough) when traveling. The WS will become my new travel brush. For reference, I normally use a Chubby 2 super for home shaving.

By the way, be aware that the handle is quite small - almost like holding a pen. But if you can get past that, the brush will surprise you.

- Greenhouse

FWIW:

Synthetic Brush - dries quickly and good performer
Razor - I would take a modern or cheap one. Definitely not a vintage or heirloom
AS - Witchhazel (can this be checked?)

The Tabac stick is an excellent choice.

I can weigh in on the Wee Scot. I have read about this brush for a long time, but always hesitated buying one online. I happened to be in a store a couple of weeks ago that sold shaving supplies, and saw the Wee Scot in person. It was almost funny - like a novelty. In the spur of the moment, I bought it ($30-something, I think). Well, it produces a great lather. I would not hesitate including the Wee Scot as part of my travel kit. In fact, I plan to do just that on my next trip. Previously used a Dovo travel brush (too heavy) or an old Caswell-Massey (not dense enough) when traveling. The WS will become my new travel brush. For reference, I normally use a Chubby 2 super for home shaving.

By the way, be aware that the handle is quite small - almost like holding a pen. But if you can get past that, the brush will surprise you.

- Greenhouse

+1! The WS is VERY SMALL, but it punches far above its weight, producing enough lather for a 3-pass shave! I also use a pill bottle for my travel case. The WS is a great travel (and occasionally everyday) brush IMHO!!

Top Bottom