What's new

Your Travel Brush

D933B892-6276-4C26-B11D-377AF16484CF.jpeg

The travel brush occupies a unique place in the den. While most shave brushes remain captives of the house, the travel brush goes with you on your most memorable and exciting adventures.

The ultimate travel brush for me is the Simpson Classic 1 Best. Many will prefer a synthetic traveller but for me the Classic 1 Best ticks all the boxes. It’s a small brush that feels big thanks to the big bloom. It packs away neatly in a made to measure tube and always looks the business. There’s no need to rough it on the road. When you have a Classic 1 in your dopp bag you can travel in style. If required, it can get ready to go in a hurry as well as anything else with a quick blow dry.

The Classic 1 has been on a few adventures with me now and has picked up a few air miles along the way. It rarely gets a guernsey at home but never lets me down on the road. I like it so much that I placed an order for the matching limited edition SiLVERTiP. If that new brush replaces the trusty Best remains to be seen. Most likely the Best will gain a nice travelling companion.

What’s your travel brush?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have the large and small Simpson travel tubes so take either the Wee Scot or the Classic 1 in the smaller tube, or the M6 in the larger tube. The Wee Scot and the Classic are not just for travel they are also excellent for everyday use.

20210104_090325.jpg

I always travel with a synthetic as our vacations are generally Caribbean which is super humid and badgers don’t dry quickly there.

I have been using a cheap Rockwell synth which does the job fine. I just received a Simpson Classic synth that will likely get the travel brush gig as it is very small and not something I would use daily at home.

This is my travel brush: a Muhle Silvertip Fibre. I have had this for several years now.
Muhle Sil Fibre.jpg

At one time I kept it in a plastic or cardboard carrying case. The case had holes on the top. However, there was not sufficient open area to dry the brush. As a result, I recently purchased a brush roll from captainschoice. This allows sufficient air to dry the brush while keeping it secure in my travel kit.

The Simpson Case in Best for me. And of course the Case has a matching case. I love that brush--my first Simpson, and still my go to when I want scrubby precision, or when I'm trying stretch the mileage on a favorite cream/soap.

I sometimes will swap it out with the Omega mixed midget, which fits the same case perfectly, or the Wee Scott. And I recently bought the Maggard 18mm synthetic (whose handle is too small in diameter to stay inside the Simpson small case, unfortunately). But the Case is the favorite.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Maggard 18mm Timberwolf synthetic.

I love this brush and do not restrict it's use to only during travel
+1 a 22mm Maggard low cost synthetic.

Do have a pill bottle with neat rows of drilled holes.

It dries fast, no big deal if lost.

AA

The standard USA pill bottles are perfect travel tubes. The Australian ones have a small opening and large body (more bottle shaped). No good for travel tubes.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
+1 a 22mm Maggard low cost synthetic.

Do have a pill bottle with neat rows of drilled holes.

It dries fast, no big deal if lost.

AA

I have 4 small holes drilled into the top of a La Toja shave stick container. But I put the brush in upside down. The bottom of the container has a small, dime sized center hole in it's base which allows for air and circulation. :)

Is anybody using the Omega Bambino 50068 and has also access to a Wee Scot for a comparison shot?
I have the Bambino and it lathers well what interests me is how the handles compare.

Great, many thanks! Longer handle shorter loft and obviously much more bloom than the boar.

Only thing Wee Scot is Best only and I’m not totally convinced of Simpsons Best grade preferring their Pure at the moment a bit more. I should get a Special S1 Pure any other day and will do a comparison with the Bambino.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Great, many thanks! Longer handle shorter loft and obviously much more bloom than the boar.

Only thing Wee Scot is Best only and I’m not totally convinced of Simpsons Best grade preferring their Pure at the moment a bit more. I should get a Special S1 Pure any other day and will do a comparison with the Bambino.
I have a tortoiseshell Wee Scot in Best and it is closer to my other Simpson Pure grade brush, a Coates Fitzwilliam, than to my other Best brushes. I suspect that due to the Wee Scot having an unusually high loft to knot ratio that Simpson recognise that more backbone is required to avoid the Wee Scot being floppy and splaying too much. As we know, Simpson Best grade can be very variable and I wonder if they select the stiffest Best grade they can for the Wee Scot.

Classic 1 in the Simpsons small Tube. I'm using the two-band variant. @Tomo it looks like you've made a good choice! it's recent aquisition over here resulted in dropping out of Dec 2020 GRUME.

Top Bottom