Ballenclaugh Soaps
WK

Honorable mention Eufros, MDC, and Noble Otter

1) Barrister and Mann, Special Reserve, Cool
2) Tabac
3) Pre de Provence
4) Dr. Jon's, Hydra
5) Crown Shaving Co.

However, I have a Haslinger and a MWF on the way. This list may change in a couple of weeks.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Cella
RazoRock Chianti Lavender
Martin de Candre
Valobra stick
La Toja stick

After 6 years from my first post only 2 soaps have maintained their spot.

My updated 2018 top five list as follows:

Saponificio Varesino
Haslinger
Proraso Single Blade
La Toja stick
Cella

My top 5 are:

Stirling Barbershop
Stirling Bay Rum
Stirling Margarita's in the Arctic
Stirling Noir
Stirling Spice

and a few other Stirling soaps that I have in sample size follow those!!

In no particular order:
Mitchel's Wool Fat
Cyril R. Salter Solid Shaving Soap (New Tallow Formula)
Lea Classic Shaving Soap
Dusy Professional MEN Kabinet Rasierseife
Valobra Hard Shaving Soap

I'm a cream guy, but have just discovered soaps......and luckily, have tried 6 of them so this is easy for me.....here are my rankings

1) Mitchells Wool Fat - so far out in first place its ridiculous. Its 'in shave performance' is equivalent to my favorite cream (Santa Maria Novella) and its post shave feel is only slightly less amazing than the SMN - but that's to be expected for me as soaps tend to dry out my face a little. But the Fat does not. AN OUTSTANDING soap that will now, always sit next to my jar of SMN.
2) Wholly Kaw (Rose scented one) - great, great soap!
3) DR Harris - Arlington. Similar in performance to my top two, but the scent is very week, and it dries my skin out more than the other two.
4) Saponificio Varesino - did not like the performance really, but the two scents I tried were lovely - Mirto Di Sardegna and the Mana Di Sicilia
5) Tabac - poor performance for me - the scent was just ok.

A long time ago I also tried Barrister and Mann's Seville - WONDERFUL scent if I remember correctly, but I cant remember the performance. Ill try it again some day.

Can I say again how MAGNIFICENT Mitchell's Wool Fat is. Wow. I have just ordered the bath soap and shampoo too!

I've only got 4

1. Geo Trumper Lime
2. Aqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere
3. Proraso White
4. Plamolive shave stick

1. Declaration Grooming (especially Trismegistus)
2. Sudsy Soapery
3. Wholly Kaw (It would probably be #1 if I could find a scent I love. Just got Lav SubLime today, which smells promising in the jar.)
4. Barrister & Mann (I know everybody raves about the Reserve line, but I like all their bases.)
5. Mike's (Tried and true, love the straightforward scents.)

Honorable mention: Soap Commander and Cold River Soap Works

1. Moon Soaps- Havana (smells and performs AMAZING)
2. Proraso- Green
3. Stirling- Sandpiper
4. Razorock- XXX (love the scent more than the soap)
5. Cella

Hi. I noticed Oleo on your list. I never heard of them until last night. Their website has several intriguing scents. Can you please tell me about performance and the scents you've tried? Thanks.
I ordered Pucker and Seibo today. I'll let you know how they work when I get them if you want.

G

GroomedWoodchuck

All Stirling - Eucalyptus Mint, Tea Tree, Unscented, Sandpiper and Margaritas in the Arctic.

Just to be contrary . . . In alphabetical order:
  • First Canadian Shave Soap Co.'s Barbershop Taper Fade
  • Proraso Red
  • TOBS Eton College
  • TOBS Mr Taylor's
  • Williams Mug (if modified by grating and addition of water)

I haven't hoarded enough soap to have a top 5, but Haslinger and Fine soaps are very good. I like Haslinger Sandalwood and I'm trying to nail down my favorite Fine scent.

Sorry to bump thread but an update...

First use of MWF today, and as many already know it’s pretty stellar. (Not the easiest to lather but still awesome)

1. Saponificio Varesino 70th (any SV)
2. Haslinger Schafmilch
3. Mitchell’s Wool Fat
4. Stirling (my fav scent is SDM)
5. Arko shave stick at a distant fifth.

Next would be Fine accoutrements. Fine definitely beats out arko in scent. But I just like the old school arko thing. Weird, I know. (Top five always around. Others won’t reorder).

Cheers!!

Last edited:
My top five absolute favorites in no particular order (I only wish I could list more than five!):
  • Eufros Zanzibar
  • Eufros GEA
  • Wholly Kaw King of Oud
  • Stirling Sandpiper
  • Barrister & Mann Le Grand Chypre

I only have 4:
  1. MdC Vetyver
  2. MdC Fougere
  3. MdC Original
  4. MWF
I have tried numerous soaps but these four work the best for me, I love the scents, and don't think I would ever change to anything else. I still try samples of other soaps but haven't found another that I would want to use consistently like these.

1) Boellis Panama 1924
2) Eufros Tobacco
3) Declaration Grooming Trismeg.
4) Barrister and Mann Seville
5) MdC Vetiver or Mike’s Peppermint and Rosemary

Top Bottom