What's new

Your Top 5 Tobacco for 2020

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Doh! that changes things, I didn't pick up on the date or how OLD this thread is! But I will stick with my selection for 2021.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Reboot. My list has changed as they tend to do in this world of ever evolving tastes and preferences. More Virginia and VaPer this time around. Also, my stash is limited at the moment but I'm enjoying what I have.

1. Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake: Lately this blend has really been hitting me in the right spot. An easy burning light flavor that I can enjoy anytime.

2. Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake: This one hasn't changed since my last list. Love it.

3. Rattray's Old Gowrie: I thankfully have many pounds of Rattray's in my cellar and always enjoy reaching for it. Probably a brand I will continue to stock as it becomes available.

4. R. O. Firestorm: The sweet Virginia is the star but watch out for the spicy perique and DFK on the retrohale. Nice when I'm seeking a blend with an edge to it.

5. Orlick DSK: I love the blending of Kentucky and Virginia in this one. Another one I have cellared fairly deep.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is the first page of this thread broken for anyone else? I'm seeing the posts squished over to one side, like has happened before with table glitches, yet there's no tables on the page. 🤷‍♂️

Is the first page of this thread broken for anyone else? I'm seeing the posts squished over to one side, like has happened before with table glitches, yet there's no tables on the page. 🤷‍♂️
It's all bunched up on my desktop screen; on my tablet it's a little wonky but not to the same degree. On both, the symptom goes away when I move to page two. Other threads display normally.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

It's all bunched up on my desktop screen; on my tablet it's a little wonky but not to the same degree. On both, the symptom goes away when I move to page two. Other threads display normally.

Post #8 by @KellyG had tables in the post.
I removed the tables and all is well in the world.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Top 5 for me this year so far
1. Stokkebye LBF
2. Bobs Chocolate Flake
3. MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian
4. Squadron Leader
5. HU Tobacco Director's cut.

These are what I’ve smoked the most of so far this year. I’ve smoked more LBF recently than the others and can feel myself leaning towards Virginia blends and away from the Latakia as the weather warms up. I plan on opening a tin of Watch City Ciger 25th anniversary Old Dominion once I smoke up some of the stuff I already have open.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Ill bite on the thread from 2020

Ill just state that I discovered my love of English blends, so those are pretty heavy here. So this is what i usually reach for as of now and are my top 5 In no particular order

1) LJ Peretti Tashken
2) Esoterica And So To Bed
3) LJ Peretti English Blend 110
4) Dan Tobacco St Bernard
5) HH Latakia Flake

Honerable Mentions of

Reiner Gold Flake
McClelland Frog Morton
Samuel Gawith Best Brown

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My top five from Germains...

Rich Dark Flake
Royal Jersey Perique
Brown Flake
Medium Flake
1820 Flake

... are all disqualified from being contenders for my Top 5, for being such a pain in the arse to buy. :incazzato

So, with that out of the way, here's my attempt at picking my (current) No.1 in each of five categories.

1) Virginia - G&H Bright CR Flake
(Runner up - Peterson Sherlock Holmes)
2) Virginia/Perique - G&H No.27 Perique Flake
(Runner up - Solani 633 Virginia Flake)
3) Aromatic - G&H Reunion Flake (by far the toughest choice, and most likely to change)
(Runners up - Rattrays Sir William/G&H Red)
4) Lakeland - Condor Long Cut
(Runner up - G&H Ennerdale Flake)
5) Dark Potent - Revor Plug
(Runner up - G&H Dark XX Plug)
My 6th category is English/Latakia, but that's excluded, as it's what I smoke the least (Squadron Leader would have won though)

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I'm finally a few years into this hobby since starting back up and I can make a top 5 list. At the moment I'd say:

1. MacBaren Mixture Scottish
2. MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake
3. Newminster Superior Round Slices
4. Capstan (blue tin)
5. Lane 1-Q and/or those variants and similar blends (Capt Blk Royal, 7 Seas, etc)

In no particular order, my top 5 is:

Sutliff Barking Dog match
Commonwealth Mixture
Nat Sherman 536 (only two tins left 😣)
Sutliff Briggs match
Skiff

With honorable mentions Squadron Leader, Presbyterian, Black Mallory, Carter Hall, Granger, Edward G. Robinson's, Durbur, Kentucky Club Aromatic, Velvet.

Top Bottom