What's new

Your Top 5 Favorite Colognes!

Dior’s Dune
Penhaligon’s Quercus
Fahrenheit (unfortunately way too widespread)
Kenzo’s Kenzo pour Homme
Penhaligon’s Opus 1870 (smells like Chanel’s Egoïste (NOT Egoïste Platinum))

Stauff said:
After having thought things over, My current 5 would be:
L'Occitane (the one that smells like a forest during fall)

That would probably most likely be the Eau des Baux ("eh-de-Bow"). I sampled this scent this weekend and recalled a very woody-cedar like scent coupled with the bitter, acrid scent that is associated with dried fall leaves. I thought that it was a very classy scent. Most definiately a Fall or Winter scent, but one that I would be comfortable wearing daily to work.

I did not try the Eau des 4 Voleurs, but the description on the website seems to fit the bill as a possibility.

L'Occitane has wonderful retail shops to visit if you have a chance. They are perfectly willing to give out shaving samples, but they did not have any pre-made men's cologne samples to give away.

Their newest L'Occitan Eau de Toilette fragrance is described as,

http://usa.loccitane.com/product/product.asp?product=20ET100OC&variant=&= said:
Created through the distillation of authentic A.O.C. lavender, blended with the peppery, nutmeg scent of burnt wood. A panoramic and complex fragrance, redolent with the rich scents of Provence, in all their ruggedness and mystery. Intended for men, but women love it, too.

I found it to be very similar in make up to Penhaligon's Endymion and Floris' Santal - dressy and classy without being overbearingly spicy.

All in all, I was very impressed by the L'Occitane products and presentation.

-joedy

(1) Original Santal by Creed (evening scent, girls seem to really like it)
(2) Green Irish Tweed by Creed (my presentation/report scent)
(3) L'Eau d'Issey Bleue by Issey Miyake (great longevity)
(4) Jaipur Homme by Boucherone (great longevity)
(5) Starwalker by Montblanc (really digging this one at the moment)

Joedy said:
I did not try the Eau des 4 Voleurs, but the description on the website seems to fit the bill as a possibility.

-joedy

I agree with you. Looking at the website, I thought Voleurs was the closest description. I would like to sample this one. Does anyone know where L'Occitane products are carried in the Kansas City area? I seldom run across them. Not interested in any more blind buys. Been burned too many times.

Hey Craig..

Check it!

Plaza Frontenac
257 Plaza FronteSnac
St. Louis, MO 63131

St. Louis Galleria
1155 Saint Louis Galleria
Space #1461
St. Louis, MO 63105
314-725-7264

from the L'Occitane website...BTW:cool:

1) C&S No 88
2) C&S No 88
3) C&S No 88
4) C&S No 88
5) C&S No 88

:001_tt2:

Seriously... hrmmm...

1) C&S No 88
2) Pen's LP #9
3) C&S Cuba
4) Issey Miyake's L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme
5) Davidoff's Cool Water

Also have 2oz of B&B sitting at home, but haven't had the chance to try it yet, so I can't rank.. ;)

I like heavier scents, with lots of character.

So, here are mine favorites:

1. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent
2. TABAC by Maurer & Wirtz
3. KOUROS by Yves Saint Laurent
4. HOMME by Dior
5. BRIT by Burberry

Lately, I am wearing my own mix of Bergamot, Lavender and Rosemary...

Nenad

rikrdo said:
Hey Craig..

Check it!

Plaza Frontenac
257 Plaza FronteSnac
St. Louis, MO 63131

St. Louis Galleria
1155 Saint Louis Galleria
Space #1461
St. Louis, MO 63105
314-725-7264

from the L'Occitane website...BTW:cool:

Both are a bit far, but if I happen to be in St. Louis or another city with L'Occitane, I'll definitely check it out. I was thinking of one of the more local boutiques like Hall's or even Sephora or something like that in K.C. itself.

craigl14 said:
Both are a bit far, but if I happen to be in St. Louis or another city with L'Occitane, I'll definitely check it out. I was thinking of one of the more local boutiques like Hall's or even Sephora or something like that in K.C. itself.

Try Sephora. Their website had one L'Occitane men's fragrance. Maybe the store has more.

I thought it was funny to list St. Louis stores, but they are the only L'Occitane stores in MO. And I think they are the closest to KC.

SL fumiere turque
LV piper nigrum
CdG white
L'Artisan tea for two or mechant loup
SMN nostalgia or cuba or eva

honorable mentions: nino cerruti ph and gendarme

also - have been buying lots of decants off of basenotes lately, but still have many coming and on my "to test" list: montales, more SL's more SMN's, a few more L'Artisans, C&S No.88....

baald

Being still a fairly young guy and have tested quite a few colognes from the more "modern" designers, here's my top three:

1) Christian Dior's Dior Homme
2) Tommy Hilfiger's Freedom
3) Laura Biagiotti's ROMA

The 2nd one is the freshest and youngest scent of the three. The 3rd one has a very deep but rather strong scent, yet very enjoyable. 1st one is a subbtle and enjoyable scent which I can wear in just about any occasion.

I have a few other colognes on my "to try" list but I'm taking my time. Finding a good cologne is like finding a good wine: it takes time to find the real good ones which according to your personal preferences suits you best.

Tam Dao - Diptyque
Bois du Portugal - Creed
Musk Ravageur - Frederic Malle
Vetiver - Guerlain
Santal - Floris

honorable mention:

Voleur de Roses - L'Artisan

craigrutan said:
Penhaligon's Douro
Truefitt and Hill Spanish Leather
Creed Green Irish Tweed
Floris Santal
Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet

We've got the same nose on scents..

I dont think I've had the pleasure of smelling the spanish leather, yet though.

craigl14 said:
I agree with you. Looking at the website, I thought Voleurs was the closest description. I would like to sample this one. Does anyone know where L'Occitane products are carried in the Kansas City area? I seldom run across them. Not interested in any more blind buys. Been burned too many times.

Hi Craig. Well, the Sephora store in the Oak Park Mall at 95th & Quivira in Overland Park Ks. carries some L'Occitane products for men. I know they have the shave cream in a tube:thumbdown , and the A/S balm but I don't remember seeing any of the men's edts. Another little store here in Lawrence carries some L'Occitane items as well. All I've seen is the soaps(including refills of their great shave soap)so I don't know about the edt's. http://www.aumarche.comThey are very nice to deal with but the items are not on the website. You would probably need to know exactly what you wanted from them before you call. Hope this helps.

Regards, Todd

Phog Allen said:
Hi Craig. Well, the Sephora store in the Oak Park Mall at 95th & Quivira in Overland Park Ks. carries some L'Occitane products for men. I know they have the shave cream in a tube:thumbdown , and the A/S balm but I don't remember seeing any of the men's edts. Another little store here in Lawrence carries some L'Occitane items as well. All I've seen is the soaps(including refills of their great shave soap)so I don't know about the edt's. http://www.aumarche.comThey are very nice to deal with but the items are not on the website. You would probably need to know exactly what you wanted from them before you call. Hope this helps.

Regards, Todd

Todd, thanks a lot for the tip. I will check out the store in Lawrence this weekend.

I just wanted to say that thanks to B&B my top 5 has completely changed. I can’t stand anymore what I used to wear in college. I put Kenzo in my top 5 because I had fond memories of it some years ago. I got to sniff it again last week and it was vulgar and overpowering. I sampled a lot of edt (all of Floris, Trumper, Penhaligon’s, Frédéric Malle, L’Occitane, C&E, some L’Artisan Parfumeur, some Creed, C&S 88, etc.) and my new, very temporary top 5 would be:
Penhaligon’s Endymion (good daily edt)
Penhaligon’s LP9 (good evening scent)
Carnal Flower (when in floral mood)
Angéliques sous la pluie (“Angelica in the rainfall”, my favourite earthy scent)
Penhaligon’s Castile

As evidenced by this top 5, Penhaligon’s and Malle are my current favourite perfumers. It will likely change as I expand my experience with edt.

Creed Green Irish Tweed
Creed Bois du Portugal
Angel by Thierry Mugler
Armani Black Code
L'Occitane Eau de Baux

Top 5 in No Particular Order

Penhaligons LP #9
Floris Santal
Creed Millesime Imperial
Burberry London
Penhaligons Endymion
A&F Woods

Yes I know I have 6 listed. It's still my Top 5 :biggrin: My top 5 movies has 8!

Top Bottom