What's new

Your top 5 DE blades

Ok, I've posted that all my favorites are vintage and that's all I use but here is what I used back when I was using modern... In no particular order...
Polsilver Super Iridium/Wizamet Iridium Super ( Same blade )
Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow and Dark Blue
Gillette Silver Blue
Rapira Swedish Super Steel

I posted this in 2016 and updated it about 22 days ago. My opinions remain unchanged, updates in italics.

I do not rank blades anymore, I just have a list of what I will and will not shave with. My lists:

Will buy and use
  • Astra
  • Feather
  • Gillette 7 O'clock (green, black and yellow)
  • Vikings Sword (Israeli) <-- I am finding these the ones I turn to most.
  • Wilkinson Sword (German)
  • VDH (German) - Require an extra pass for the result I like but they do a good job.
  • Personna Platinum <-- Tried recently and unbelievably smooth.

Will not buy but will use:
  • Rockwell
  • Lord Big Ben (B402) (Egypt)
  • 7 AM Hi-Platinum Durablade (Bangladesh) - good blades, but only last 2 shaves before they pull.

Will not buy or use
  • Merkur
  • Shark
  • Dorco (made in Hell if you ask me)
  • Derby (made in Heck, just outside of Hell IMO)
  • Treet

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Depending on the razor I'm using:

KAI
Feather
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Black

Gillette Stainless
Gillette Silver Blue
Polsilver Super iridium
Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge
Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless

8/19/1942
Very close to mine when I was using modern. Sub out Rapira Swedish Super Steel for Gillette Stainless and Wizamet Iridium Super for Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless.

Hard to choose as some blades work better in some razors, but as a whole I tend to go for the following blades.

Astra SP
Polsilver
Bolzano
Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
Dorco ST-301

I also like Nacet, 7`O'clock Black, Personna Med Prep, Lord Platinum, and GSB. Lots of good performing blades out there.

1. German Wilkinson Sword - just the perfect combination of smoothness and sharpness + top notch durability
2. Lord Platinum - sharp, but smooth, but still not as sharp and smooth as the Wilkies, but an excellent blade

The next 3 are quite close, not much separating them:
3. Shark SS - great in aggressive razors for people if you don't have very tough facial hair
4. Rapira Platinum Lux - can be tuggy under the nose, but overall it's decent blade, won't give you irritation, I just wish it is a bit sharper
5. Astra SS - smooth, no blade feel, but sharp enough, very good blade

Top Bottom