What's new

Your thoughts on this Seiko Astron watch

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just so I understand how the GMT watch works, the way it's set tells me it is 10:08 am in the home country and 5:08 pm in the country in which you are presently traveling?

Tim

I don't have a GMT with me to check, but .... I may have got it wrong as to which hand is moved at the "one click" position ... the GMT or the "regular hour" hand. On reflection it may be the actual hour hand

It depends on the movement used in the watch. In the Swiss ETA movements that some watch makers use, the GMT hand is independently adjustable without hacking the movement, but the hour hand is not. IMO this makes it less suitable for traveling, unless one wants to read the local hour off the GMT hand (too confusing for most people).

Other watchmakers provide a quick-set hour hand that allows the current hour to jump in one hour increments without hacking the movement, allowing the owner to leave the GMT hand set to their home timezone. Arguably a better watch for traveling across time zones.

I checked ... the Seiko GMTs I have (quartz perpetual calendar, and kinetic) both have the hour hand, not the GMT hand, with the quick set feature.

Top Bottom