What's new

Your thoughts on these shave soaps

Looking to get some decent shave soaps. Right now I am shaving with Gillette Planet Kind Shave cream that I got from Target.
Here is my maggard's shopping cart. Any thoughts. I am looking for woody and traditional scents (i.e., barbershop)

1644856359996.png

Very excellent choices. Seville is my very favorite barbershop scent. I love Stirling Soaps, but their barbershop has a very strong vanilla and powder scent that I do not reach for often. Executive Man is great. Have not tried Agar. My absolute favorite Stirling scent is Sandpiper.

Don't know anything about Agar and i don't believe its a popular scent- i'd recommend a sample of that one before you buy a puck. You really can't go wrong with Exec Man. It's a wonderful scent. Stirling Sandpiper is another awesome one-hard to go wrong with it. There are a bunch more. You're better off buying a couple samples and tins and trying them out before committing to the tubs and the pricier B&M. Just my opinion. When you buy a bunch of soaps like that your preferences begin to change. Stirling makes it easier to sample things to get a better idea of what you really like before you end up with a pile of whole tubs you don't know what to do with.

Last edited:
Agar smells liked a spiced ham. Not bad but not woody or traditional to me. I would sub that out with Baker Street for a traditional (albeit English) version of a soap.

For woody, perhaps Mountain Man or Coniferous.

For a very good American classic barbershop, might I suggest Shannon's Soaps Barbershop. They are a very underrated vendor and the soaps are top notch.

Lots of choices and samples are your friend in the search .. :biggrin1:

Don't know anything about Agar and i don't believe its a popular scent- i'd recommend a sample of that one before you buy a puck. You really can't go wrong with Exec Man. It's a wonderful scent. Stirling Sandpiper is another awesome one-hard to go wrong with it. There are a bunch more. You're better off buying a couple samples and tins and trying them out before committing to the tubs and the pricier B&M. Just my opinion. When you buy a bunch of soaps like that your preferences begin to change. Stirling makes it easier to sample things to get a better idea of what you really like before you end up with a pile of whole tubs you don't know what to do with.
Thank you!

I would add that there are definitely advantages to ordering directly from Stirling's website.

1. Purchasing sample sizes minimizes the risk of getting a scent you don't like. 1 oz is good for at least 10 shaves (I have not finished one yet, I purchased so many).
2. You earn rewards points with each purchase, redeemable for $ towards a future purchase when you reach a certain level.
3. Rod always throws in a sample of something just for fun. Sample shaving soap or bath soap in my experience.
4. Flat rate shipping, under $5 I think.

I'd suggest going for some samples. This way you can try a wider range and see what you like most. Stirling samples are a nice large size.

You will find some of these tubs will last quite a long time.

Buy a bath soap in the scents you're interested in. That way you don't have to worry about storing the shave soap and if you hate it you don't have to endure any more shaves with it. I'll never buy another Stirling sample shave soap- if i want to try a scent i'll get it in the bath soap, first.

Top Bottom