What's new

Your six desert island albums

No possible way I could narrow to only 6, and this list is certainly a disservice to many other artist due to limitation, but out of albums I have literally worn out and repurchased on vinyl and cassette, eventually on CD, and then a better/less worn copy on vinyl…as much for the memories of misspent youth as the music…I was fortunate enough to see most all the greats for only $21.95 a ticket at the Memphis Tennessee Mid South Colisiem and likely camped out at Peaches records and tapes to get good seats. Yep- 59 years young. Sad that today’s kids can’t see a great show for what they could make cutting two lawns and scalpers and ticket services ruin it for everyone. Was too young to see the Beatles…

ZZ Top Tres Hombres- RIP Dusty
Rush 2112- RIP Neal, my favorite drummer ever
Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon
Eagles Hotel California RIP Glen
AC/DC Back in Black RIP Malcolm and Bonn
The Beatles White Album RIP John and George

Bob Dylan -- Freewheelin'
Bob Dylan -- Hiway 61 Revisited
Bob Dylan -- Blood on the Tracks
Dire Straits -- Love Over Gold
REM -- Murmur
The Who -- Tommy

captain walker didn't come home his unborn child will never know him
beleived him missing with a number of men, don't expect to see him again -- Pete Townshend

After a couple backpacking trips last summer I realized I don’t need to bring music with me. I have a random playlist in my brain. Everything from Linda Ronstadt to AC/DC and random offerings from British SKA and reggae.

Always a tough call for me, since my musical tastes are, w/o a question, so eclectic as to approach insane. I'll give it a shot, though.
  1. Yes- Close to the Edge
    1. The best album by the quintessential progressive rock group, IMNSFTHO
    2. For Yes albums, it'd be between this and Relayer. The latter is the closest Yes got to pure jazz fusion, thanks to Pat Moraz.
    3. For non-Yes progressive, it'd have to be King Crimson's Red. Supposedly, that album got its name b/c, during recording, the VU meters in the recording studio rarely fell out of the red.
  2. The Beatles- Abbey Road
    1. Both the final album recorded by the group and the ultimate expression of their genius.
    2. ****, do I even need to explain a Beatles album on this list?!?
  3. John Coltrane- A Love Supreme
    1. This entire album is almost a prayer.
    2. I'll need spiritual inspiration if I'm stuck alone on a desert island.
  4. Mattisyahu- Shake off the Dust... Arise
    1. I'll also need religious inspiration if I'm stuck alone on a desert island.
    2. While Matisyahu has recorded other albums, I don't think any of them capture his passion for the music better than this one does.
    3. If you're Jewish, and you can possibly listen to this one, hear the inspiration from Bob Marley, and not see the obvious connection between reggae and Jewish spiritualism, then I'm not sure what I can say.
  5. Herbie Hancock- Head Hunters
    1. A crossover album for Hancock where he + his band combine jazz, funk, and rock.
    2. If you haven't heard this, you need to do so
    3. As in, now.
  6. Ode to Freedom - Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 (Official Concert of the Fall of the Berlin Wall 1989)
    1. This is not the greatest performance of Beethoven's mighty 9th, but it's unquestionably the most historically significant.
    2. Just 1-1/2 months after the fall of the Berlin Wall, this concert took place in an East Berlin concert hall.
    3. Leonard Bernstein created a "pickup orchestra" including musicians from the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Dresden, Leningrad, New York,+ Paris.
    4. The chorus included the Bavarian Radio Chorus; members of the Radio Chorus of East Berlin; and the Children’s Choir of the Dresden Philharmonie.
    5. The soprano soloist was American June Anderson, mezzo soloist was the English woman Sarah Walker, East Germany's Klaus König sang tenor, and Jan-Hendrik Rootering of West Germany sang the bass solo part.
    6. An apocryphal story says that Friedrich Schiller's "Ode To Joy" (in German, "An die Freude") was originally to freedom ("An de Freiheit"). For this performance, Bernstein restored the original word.
    7. So, when the 4th, choral movement begins, the bass soloist begins with "O Freunde, nicht diese Töne!" ("Friends, not these sounds!"). The verse continues from there, as always. But then, where a traditional performance would have him declaring "Freunde!" ("Friends"), then repeated by the chorus, in this performance he declares "Freiheit!" ("Freedom"), similarly repeated by the chorus. Remember: this performance is taking place in East Berlin, by an East German native and international chorus, a place and combination that would surely have landed every single performer- soloists, chorus, and orchestra- in jail, along with the audience, hardly 6 weeks before. If you have even the slightest notion of history, and this doesn't send a shiver down your spine, even today, 30 years later, then check your pulse, because you're likely dead.

55EE1F65-9F10-4FEC-BDCF-18F0DD10BCB9.jpeg

1 Steely Dan Aja
2 Supertramp Breakfast in America
3 Blue Öyster Cult Cultasaurus Erectus
4 The Doors An American Prayer
5 The B52s Love Shack
6 The Who Who's Next

Pelican West- Hair cut 100
Autobahn - Kraftwerk
1st of a million kisses - Fairground Attraction
The story of the Who- The Who
Pleasure Principal - Gary Nueman
Echo and the Bunnymen - Echo and the Bunnymen

All firsts for me.
Pelican west, first band who's sheet music I learned to play (favorite shirts)
Kraftwerk, first time mind blown
1st of a million kisses, first time me and my wife kissed properly. we both had a copy unbeknown to the other.
Pleasure Principal, first album I bought
Echo and the Bunnymen, first time my heart was broken properly

Last edited:
Love these. Usually the rules include a "no greatest hits" rule. Mine are:
1. The Who--Live at Leeds
2. Nilsson--Son of Schmilsson
3. Steely Dan--Katy Lied
4. Peter Gabriel--So
5. Bobby Darin--That's All
6. Miles Davis--Kind of Blue

I am going to do a list as of today off the top of my head without looking at what I submitted previously:

1. Quicksilver
2. Gaucho
3. King of the Delta Blues
4. Physical Graffiti
5. Catch Afire
6. Electric Ladyland

Oscar Peterson - The Good Life
Michel Petrucciani - Pianism
Bill Evans - Alone
Billy Taylor - White Nights and Jazz
David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name
Pat Metheny - 80/81

I'm going to make an attempt.

Roger Waters: Amused to Death

Allman Brothers Band: The Fillmore East recordings. I have several versions of these epic sessions.

Mark Knopfler: The Studio Albums 2009-2018 box set

Bob Dylan: Springtime in New York / The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (Thanks to @Arbor Man for bringing this set to my attention)

Chris Smither: Lost and Found

Derek and the Dominos: Layla

These have been getting a lot play around our place at the moment..... but there are soooo many others.

Edit: corrected the Dylan title.
Great to see Chris Smither on that list. Love that man's work.

Broken English by marrianne faithful
Leaving the land by Jean redpath
Rumble doll by Patti scialfa
Simon and garfunkles greatest hits.
Cats original stage recording
Les miserable, original London cast

Trying to limit to six reminds me of the Steve Martin Christmas Wish routine. " If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace." Or perhaps Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition.

Broken English by marrianne faithful
Leaving the land by Jean redpath
Rumble doll by Patti scialfa
Simon and garfunkles greatest hits.
Cats original stage recording
Les miserable, original London cast
Wow, Marianne F and Patti Scialfa. Cool list. Spanish Dancer is one of my fav songs.

No particular order...

Blue October: Spinning the Truth Around (Part 1)
Motionless In White: Scoring The End Of The World
AudioSlave: Out Of Exile
Alannah Myles: Alannah Myles
Everclear: So Much For The Afterglow
Social Distortion: Hard Times & Nursery Rhymes

Music is and always has been a big part of my life. I listen to a huge range covering pretty much the full spectrum, from cheesy pop, through hard rock, barbershop, Balinese gamelan, Zappa, Glenn Gould, Bach, Steely Dan, lots of jazz, Steve Reich, madrigals, traditional music from anywhere, solo guitar of all kinds, etc.

In other words, I can't answer the question.

Top Bottom