What's new

Your six desert island albums

This took me longer than I expected, but these are in order. I'm 47 yrs old so I discovered them at different times in my life. But Bowie was the floodgate that started me down my personal musical path. I was gutted when he passed.

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
The Smiths - Self Titled
Depeche Mode - Violator
Led Zeppelin - IV
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Radiohead - Ok Computer

Pink Floyd "Dark side of the moon"
Pink Floyd "Endless River"
Pink Floyd "The Wall"
Pink Floyd "Wish you were here"
That's all I need
You have excellent taste, sir. Pink Floyd is the number one rabbit hole in prog Rock. Other prog bands with cult-like followings, and deep rabbit holes also, are(were) Genesis, Yes, Rush, and Kansas. Each of these bands are(were) amazing.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
This is really difficult-
-William Byrd, Cantiones Sacrae; Choir of New College, Oxford, Edward Higginbottom.
-The Chieftains, 7.
-Tomas Luis de Victoria, Requiem; Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips.
-George Harrison, All Things Must Pass.
-The Great Songs of Christmas, Vol. 3;
a 1963 compilation album from Goodyear Tires.
-Gustav Mahler, Symphonies 2,4,7,& 9; New Philharmonic Orchestra, Otto Klemperer (alright, that's cheating...I'll settle for Solti's version of Mahler's Symphony No. 2, Auferstehung.)

Owen Bawn

I was quickly rescued from the desert island, only to find myself stranded on another desert island!
-Paul Simon, There Goes Rhymin' Simon
-Joni Mitchell, Hejira
-Modern Jazz Quartet, Blues on Bach
-Jethro Tull, Stand Up
-Archie Fisher and Garnet Rogers, Off the Map
-Steeleye Span, Now We are Six

I'm ready to go. :letterk1:

No deluxe editions, no expanded editions, no bonus tracks,, just the base albums.

PXL_20230113_214449925.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Dvorak From the New World
Orff Carmina Burana

Good to see some classical music on the list!

-Gustav Mahler, Symphonies 2,4,7,& 9; New Philharmonic Orchestra, Otto Klemperer (alright, that's cheating...I'll settle for Solti's version of Mahler's Symphony No. 2, Auferstehung.)

Even better to see Otto Klemperer on the list!! His version of the JS Bach St Matthew Passion would be on my list, as well as "something" Mahler ... either the 2nd or Das Lied Von Der Erde.

Toss in Beethoven's 13th* and 14th String Quartets by the Lindsays, Elgar's First (Boult) and ... oh dang, I'd go round and round. I was thinking of some Brahms but ... just thought about Die Zauberflaute ... oooh ... hard to decide.

I was quickly rescued from the desert island, only to find myself stranded on another desert island!

I am reminded of a good joke. An Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman were all marooned together on a desert island. After a long time stranded, they found a fancy bottle with the top very firmly stuck, so it took all three of them to open it. Out popped a Genie.
1673649608165.png

Genie: "well, since it took all three of you, you each get one wish!"
Englishman: "I wish I was in London, having a steak dinner at The Ritz."
*poof* he was gone.
Scotsman: "I wish I was in my favourite pub in Glasgow, with a bottle of whisky compliments of the house."
*poof* he was gone.
The Irishman thought long and hard ...
"Sure, but I miss my two friends ... I wish they were with me."
*poof* *poof* they were back and the Genie was gone.

*original version ending with the Grosse Fuge.

This is an interesting thought experiment. An impossible task and I like the caveat that this list is my list only for this day only, maybe for this hour of this day only. Also, I find that I have heard most of my all time favorite albums enough times already. I do not want to be stuck listening to them on a desert island. I also seem to lean heavily to double albums for this exercise. That is kind of an embarrassing cheat! With all of those disclaimers, in no particular order:

1. Little Feat--Waiting for Columbus
2. Hendrix--Electric Lady
3. Gillian Welch--Time (The Revelator)
4. Zeppelin--Physical Graffiti
5. Dylan--Blonde on Blonde
6. Stones--Aftermath

And, of course, Celine Dion, Greatest Hits. :) Just kidding. For me, Rolling Stone was right to leave her off that greatest singers list.

Orchestra Baobab- Pirates Choice
Allman Brothers- Dreams
Rolling Stones- Forty Licks
Rolling Stones- Flash Point
Cream- Those Were the Days
Chicago Symphony Orchestra- Beethoven Symphonies

I have 12,000 songs on my iPod. HARD choices.

You have excellent taste, sir. Pink Floyd is the number one rabbit hole in prog Rock. Other prog bands with cult-like followings, and deep rabbit holes also, are(were) Genesis, Yes, Rush, and Kansas. Each of these bands are(were) amazing.
Sir, I agree with you 100%

Owen Bawn

This one nearly made my list as well. And I'm generally not a huge fan of Joni Mitchell. Funny enough, my wife is rather a fan of her, and doesn't care for this album. So it goes.
I was torn between Hejira and the 2 disc live album Miles of Aisles, where Joni is backed by Tom Scott and the L.A. Express. But Hejira has such pathos, and those obscure tunings on an electric guitar give the record a sound like nothing I've ever heard.

Grateful Dead - American Beauty
Grateful Dead - The Closing of Winterland
Grateful Dead - Without A Net
Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore East
Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed

Top Bottom