What's new

Your six desert island albums

Starting a thread here with your favorite 6 desert island albums. I find these discussions more fun when limiting the number. I pick six because 'one' seems impossible and even six is hard enough. I kept revising this untill I gog to this. On FB groups people frequently will just mention 25 or 50 with 'honorable mentions' These are either life changing albums, favorites of an artist or ones you know you will never ever tire of. It's a fun challenge I'll start. In no order, just my six:
  1. Steely Dan "Aja"
  2. Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"
  3. Miles Davis "Miles Smiles" (his best IMO)
  4. Frank Zappa / Mothers of Invention "Uncle Meat" (expanded box set 'Meat Light' is amazing)
  5. Kenny Wheeler "Gnu High"
  6. Bob Dylan "Highway 61 Revisited"

These are always tough, whether you are asking for one or a hundred! I find they change with my mood as well, but generally these will be at or near the top of any list - I am afraid it will include two Rush albums (but in reality, I would take as much of their back catalogue as possible!):

1. Rush "2112"
2. Rush "Moving Pictures"
3. Dusty Springfield "Dusty in Memphis"
4. Fleetwood Mac "Rumours"
5. The Stranglers "No More Heroes"
6. AC/DC "Back in Black"

3 - 6 are in no particular order.

The next question, this being the Speakeasy, is probably what would I drink with those? Krug, I hope!

I think these are probably the albums I wore out the most….
  1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
  2. Phil Collins - Face Value
  3. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
  4. Neil Young - Tonight’s The Night
  5. Steve Hillage - Rainbow Dome Musick
  6. Various - Blade Runner Official Soundtrack

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
6! Darn your hide! I spent a good amount of time on this, and most of it was torture at having to cut favorites from the list.

1. Mahler #1 - I love every movement of this symphony. Beauty, joy, power - it's all there.

2. James Taylor Live 1993 - JT has so many good albums and I never seem to tire of them, which would seem important on this desert island with nothing but my stereo, 6 speakers and the giant solar powered generator. I selected this album over October Road because it has a ton of songs.

3. Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra/Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta Royal Edition No. 1- Bartok was my favorite composer when I was in college a few years back (1969).

4. The Beatles: 1 - I couldn't decide between Sgt. Pepper and Abby Road, but this album is 27 number 1 hits, which gives me a lot of songs.

5. Fragile by Yes - If I'm going to listen to something over and over and over I need a lot of variety and this album has that in spades. Virtuoso playing, great harmony and that variety.

6. Nick Brignola: Tour De Force - Nick was a great jazz woodwind player (most famous for bari sax) and was kind enough to be my teacher for a couple of years at a ridiculously cheap price. Monster bebop player.

I had to cut Cream from my list, and Clapton was my guitar hero as a young lad. The Goat Rodeo Sessions were cut, and that's a great album. Missing from the list and breaking my heart: Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Stones, Joni Mitchell, Santana, Jeff Beck, Bach, Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Debussy, Steely Dan, The Who, Miles Davis, etc. I could just kill you. Only 6! But it was interesting, so I'll give you a pass this time.

In no particular order…

- Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
- Rush - Hemispheres
- Chris Stapleton - Traveller
- Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
- Queensryche - Rage for Order
- Van Morrison - Moondance

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm going to make an attempt.

Roger Waters: Amused to Death

Allman Brothers Band: The Fillmore East recordings. I have several versions of these epic sessions.

Mark Knopfler: The Studio Albums 2009-2018 box set

Bob Dylan: Springtime in New York / The Bootleg Series Vol. 16 (Thanks to @Arbor Man for bringing this set to my attention)

Chris Smither: Lost and Found

Derek and the Dominos: Layla

These have been getting a lot play around our place at the moment..... but there are soooo many others.

Edit: corrected the Dylan title.

Last edited:
The only way I can answer this is to name "Six for a desert island" and not "The best six..." So, if I were about to board the SS Minnow, I might take along:

Fleetwood Mac -- "Rumours"
Fleetwood Mac -- "Bare Trees"
Van Morrison -- "Astral Weeks"
Eagles -- "Hotel California"
Judy Collins -- "Who Knows Where the Time Goes"
Del Shannon -- "Runaway"

I would enjoy looking at these albums as I lamented the lack of electrical power and audio equipment...

Yeah. Put this in your pipe and smoke it:

1. Chester and Lester (Chet Atkins and Les Paul)
2. Blind Man Walking (Cadillac Sky)
3. Joe Pass (anything)
4. Nightrider (Charlie Daniels)
5. Tejas (ZZ Top)
6. Good Company (Dead South)

59 years old.

Top Bottom