What's new

Your shaving stick end-of-life routine?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm never away from home long enough to pack a whole shaving stick, so my washbag just has a slice off a stick in a small screw top pot.

IMG_20190811_224038_800_600.jpg

As for home use, I've started serving up a portion of the current soap in a small ramekin style pot in the bathroom.

IMG_20190702_185450_800_600.jpg

I'll serve up enough for a month or so, and that saves the whole soap getting wet throughout its whole life, and (so far) helps protect against it spoiling before it's used up.

I'll use everything in the ramekin, then wash it out and refill it. If the slice of shaving stick is running low, I'll mush/grate that into the ramekin, and put a fresh slice in the pot. If not, I'll just serve up another portion of whatever the current soap is, straight into the ramekin.

No waste. No spoilage (since I've switched to doing this). No cupboards full of stuff I don't need.

Some great ideas coming in here! My first grafting attempt came loose but I'm going to try a bit more wiggling and pressure and let it sit for longer afterwards. Turns out I'm OK with Arko so I'll use that as a temporary substitute while the patient is in post-op recovery.

I am an Arko user so every 3 months or so after using it until it’s like a quarter I press it into a mug and use it with a cream until it disappears or If I happen to have a puck going I will press it into the puck. Using the stick for 90 percent of my shaves though, so gone through a bunch of Arko or Palmolive usually. Waste not want not. I try to use it until it is gone! (Or just a cheap skate)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I save mine up to make a Frankensoap which I have yet to make. There is some other great ideas mentioned here that I might just have to try.

All my sticks get smashed into a bowl. So when it runs out, I just smash a new one into the bowl. I'm not a fan of rubbing a hard stick of soap on my face then rubbing my face raw lathering it up.

Works great at the house, and I do it too with Speick, to play at home.

On the road... wet face well, run stick under hot water/soak the tip for a bit and it goes on easily enough if you want to try that. And more stubble results in more soap laid down easily.

I’ll use up my soap ends, with the same replacement. Either reloading new grated soap into a twist up container, glue the old onto the new when the new one’s short enough to fit into the tin, or dumped onto a house puck. I’ve never done a frankensoap.

Top Bottom