What's new

Your Shave Bowl - Metal or Porcelin?

So tell me, what do you use. Does it matter? Being new to shave soaps I just took the Proraso sensitive skin, dipped the brush, foamed it up and took a cereal bowl to mix the lather up. I like it and got an excellent shave as opposed to just trying to mix it in the contaner a few swirls.

So now I am looking to pick up a shave bowl and see this http://www.amazon.com/Kingsley-Shav...ef=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1294888997&sr=1-5

So tell me.. what kind of bowl do you use. Does porcelin hold the water warm longer? Any advantages to be had?

Metal loses heat quickly. I would go for something else. A cappuccino mug works very well.

+1 because the mug has enough thickness and mass to hold heat energy and distribute it more slowly than metal.

Metal is better in harsh environments where you want to have an object that is less subject to breakage!

Our stoneware cereal bowls worked great until SWMBO banned me from using kitchen items for shaving. I have a G5 scuttle and a bowl from Target. The $4 bowl from Target works really well and I actually use it more than the scuttle.

Our stoneware cereal bowls worked great until SWMBO banned me from using kitchen items for shaving. I have a G5 scuttle and a bowl from Target. The $4 bowl from Target works really well and I actually use it more than the scuttle.

Well who does she think she is? She must believe she is your SWMBO or something!

I use a ceramic bowl and Moss scuttle. If I'm using a small brush I just use the scuttle. If I'm face lathering I just use the scuttle as well.

I have used metal bowls in the past. Floating a metal bowl in warm water works because the metal conducts heat well. Using a metal bowl in air, just sitting on the sink, is not so good because the conductivity works against you and the bowl loses heat too fast.

I guess porcelin it is! Never saw anybody with a metal one but being the bathroom is all white with tan marble floors/ walls and the razor is silver.. it would match.

Off to find a white porcelin bowl... I like the Target idea! $5 means more money to put towards creams, blades and... I digress.

Thanks Gentlemen!

Chris

I have one of those glass anchor hocking bowls from wally world that works great I also use an antique coffee mug from the chow hall for the field.

I picked up a small soup bowl which has a handle on each side, almost looks like a set of "ears" attached to the bowl. My index finger fits in perfectly whilst the rest of my hand cups the bottom of the bowl.

Proraso soap container fits in nicely and the whole lot fits sweetly in my shave drawer.

Best part: $1

Light blue stoneware for $4.00 at an antique store. VERY heavy and yet small with sides that are flared outward - this is important. The flared sides prevent any "clunking" of the brush against the side when lathering in the bowl. Half the time I lather on my face but that is just to keep the other half here on the forum happy. Ha, ha! My bowl sits on a washcloth and does not move as I swirl the brush - a perfect storm of value and utility. Highly recommended.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I guess porcelin it is! Never saw anybody with a metal one but being the bathroom is all white with tan marble floors/ walls and the razor is silver.. it would match.

Off to find a white porcelin bowl... I like the Target idea! $5 means more money to put towards creams, blades and... I digress.

Thanks Gentlemen!

Chris

That will work for you- I got a cheap porcelain bowl at wally world (until I can buy a scuttle). I was using a ceramic cereal bowl for a few days (worked great), but one day the wife woke up early :laugh:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Thanks Gentlemen!

Chris

Bought this white porcelain bowl made in Churchill England from a garage sale for 25 cents.

http://www.allsopandpitts.co.uk/product.php?id=31726&cat_id=749

Using a stainless steel bowl right now. Good in terms of easy to clean and unbreakable. But looses heat fast. Not so much of a problem in tropical Singapore but still by the third pass, the lather is at room temperature already.:thumbdown

Thinking of using a wooden bowl if I can find one.:biggrin1:

I use one of two that I own.

The Korean soup bowls are if I am concerned about keeping the lather warm.
Lather in the top, hot water in the bottom.

Top Bottom