What's new

Your routines for cleaning blades after usage?

I use running water.
I wish it would be as easy as this. In my experience there is always a white, sticky/creamy residue from the soap left on the blade, that can not be removed with running water & rubbing alone. Do you never experience this with any soap?
I have hard water and like to use tallow/lanolin soaps, probably this the cause?

I wish it would be as easy as this. In my experience there is always a white, sticky/creamy residue from the soap left on the blade, that can not be removed with running water & rubbing alone. Do you never experience this with any soap?
I have hard water and like to use tallow/lanolin soaps, probably this the cause?

I rinse under running water and dry thoroughly on my bath towel since it's hanging nearby. I use Stirling soaps (both formulas) pretty much every day and our water is moderately hard.

If there's any residual lather after rinsing it comes off with the towel as far as I can tell.

I wipe on tissue paper, then on my towel.

I'm guessing the hardness of the water is leaving a scale on the blade, but it could also be a high level of total dissolved solids. If you live in a recycled water area in Sydney & wash your car with recycled water you can see the residue all over the car (TDS).

I rinse under running water and dry thoroughly on my bath towel since it's hanging nearby. I use Stirling soaps (both formulas) pretty much every day and our water is moderately hard.

If there's any residual lather after rinsing it comes off with the towel as far as I can tell.
Yes a towel will remove/spread it. This works for most ot the blade but I don't want to touch the edge with the towel ,so there's always a thin line of residue left, that I can not remove with the towel.

That's why I started to clean the blade with a normal soap after every shave. This will remove the sticky residue from the shaving soap without rubbing and leave the blade clean. I would be interested to know if there are other methods. I also heard, that some people like to clean their blades with rubbing alcohol after usage, but I haven't tried this.

Last edited:
I wipe on tissue paper, then on my towel.

I'm guessing the hardness of the water is leaving a scale on the blade, but it could also be a high level of total dissolved solids. If you live in a recycled water area in Sydney & wash your car with recycled water you can see the residue all over the car (TDS).
But how do you clean all the way to the edge with a towel without ruining your edge or the towel? Isn't there always a small area around the edge, that you can't clean with this method?

Some people strop on linen post-shave to clean up the bevel. A quick palm strop would probably suffice too, if you have residue leftover.
I tried the palm strop, but this will only smear the residue in my experience... I though about using the linen strop too, but decided not to, because I don't want the strop to be loaded up with this residue.
Thanks for your suggestions, but I already found a solution that works for me as described in my previous post. I really was only interested to hear/learn how everybody else is doing it.

i just rinse it with water. I found that when i open up the tap strong and place the blade below it really pushes the residues away from the blade. Then i dry it by laying it flat on my towel.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Wipe the blade clean and dry with toilet paper being sure to not touch the edge. Then about half-a-dozen laps on a cloth strop lined with natural chamois cleans the bevel/edge. From there it is onto the 0.1μm diamond pasted balsa.

I have had no residue build-up on my blades in two years of daily SR shaving. I shave with ARKO, tallow Tabac, Palmolive stick and cream, and Proraso cream (so far).

Wipe the blade clean and dry with toilet paper being sure to not touch the edge. Then about half-a-dozen laps on a cloth strop lined with natural chamois cleans the bevel/edge. From there it is onto the 0.1μm diamond pasted balsa.

I have had no residue build-up on my blades in two years of daily SR shaving. I shave with ARKO, tallow Tabac, Palmolive stick and cream, and Proraso cream (so far).
Natural chamois is really great, I also use it to dry the razor. I'm using a simple chamois towel and have never seen a chamois strop for razors.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Natural chamois is really great, I also use it to dry the razor. I'm using a simple chamois towel and have never seen a chamois strop for razors.
Here is a link.
Instead of using rubber glue to attach the chamois to the cloth strop, I have found it better to use a spray-on contact adhesive. I used the spray-on when attaching the chamois to my @Tony Miller cotton strop.

I rinse blade cold water, then apply bar soap dial or dove with fingers clean blade, then re rinse,,, wipe dry toilet paper or napkins then apply small amount wd40, then re wipe dry clean again store till next use
This works for me,, no rust or black water spots

If I have residue on my blade after rinsing with water my lather is too dry. After the shave I dry the scales and the blade with some TP (taking care not to touch the edge) and do 10 laps on leather or cloth to dry the edge. Never had a residue problem. I blame a nice wet lather.

Rinse with hot water and wipe with a face cloth. Dry on a bath towel then a piece of tissue. Strop on linen and leave open for 24 hours.

Rinse, wipe with toilet paper, blade and between scales, agree with all of that, but here is what I think has not been mentioned.

I think it's common sense so please excuse if I presume it's not common sense to all:

When you wipe the blade length-wise, the residue in the grind-lines does not wipe away, and there is always residue left, unless you have a mirror finish.

I fold a piece of toilet paper around the edge and pinch the spine with the paper between my thumb and index finger, then pull from the spine to the edge in the direction of the grind. I do that several times until I have covered the whole length of the blade.

Stropping on linen will not clean in the hollow, just the edge and the spine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom