What's new

Your Regrettable Purchases?

Buying too much soaps and creams on scent without checking the ingredients list I now have at least 5 soaps which don't agree with my skin
Have you tried mixing them with similar scented soaps & creams that work on your skin? I had an issue with Proraso White & after mixing with Cremo for about 10-12 times my skin got use to the cream & now I can use it by itself with no issues.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
After further consideration, I will add all but two brushes and some soaps where ARKO works as well as any of the boutique or artisan stuff. In fact, I really don’t enjoy rotating stuff. Adequacy suits me fine. I still change straight razors every couple of weeks though - trying to justify having so many I suppose. I’m becoming more and more minimalist in my old age I suppose.

Completely agree. I spent so much money on these when I first started out. Some of them even trashed my face and were wasted or sold for a loss. All of them are no better or worse than shaving soaps and creams that are considered "cheap". I appreciate the novelty of such products but I originally got into traditional wet shaving to save money. I get just as good a shaves from a so called "cheap" lather as I do with something referred to as artisan and costs 3x as much.

Oh man, this comment is speaking volumes right now, aligning perfectly with thoughs I've been having myself lately.

As I've stated in an earlier post, I recently got back into wet shaving last year after a 5-year hiatus. There weren't as many artisan companies back then, so I was really interested in getting into some of these soaps that people were raving about. They are great, but the scent and shave quality weren't mind blowing like I'd hoped.

I have found that I just prefer the quality and scent of the classic soap/creams. not to mention the price is always reasonable to downright cheap. I've got all these nice soap/creams in my drawer but usually just end up going with an Omega 10049, a tube of Palmolive, Proraso, Speick or a stick of La Toja and I am completely happy with the outcome every time

I think I need to listen to the advice coming from beyond and go with my gut feeling.

But, to directly address the thread topic, I think my biggest regret is getting a Rockwell 6s. It is a solid razor, but after purchasing a Timeless .95, loving it so much and knowing that I will also get a .68 base in the future, I will likely never pull the razor out again.

Last edited by a moderator:
RR P160: Burned the crap out of my face. Then bought the reformulated version and did it again.
ABC soft soap: Did the same, for a lot more money. On the plus side, they sent me a bunch of little packets of aftershaves and shampoos, as well as some really good cologne samplers.
RR Carribean Holiday: For some reason this stuff just smells foul to me.
Any non-Arko shave stick.
PAA Al Fin aftershave: Would never have spent money there if I knew the history. Product actually wasn't all that bad.
Derby blades: Owwwww
Wilkinson Sword black package: As above, with more bleeding.

Top Bottom