What's new

Your Regrettable Purchases?

I think the reason it was in the baking drawer is that it’s a lame used in bread making. You use it to cut slits in the top of the loaf of bread to allow gas to escape and even expansion during the baking process
That's exactly what it is. To score the loafs before for they go into the oven.

I bought a rex ambassador :) love the thing but cant use it
no regrets though as I would not have known its NOT for me
waited a few months tried again and YEAH not for me

like college a lot of money spent on things I never use :) but I learned what I DO NOT LIKE is as important as what I love

-AoS creams. The modern versions are garbage

-All of my straight razor gear. I just enjoy quick shaving and want to get it done and move on with my day. Way too much technique required for my simple mind

-Almost all the Razorock razors I purchased. They're all good, but they're also more or less completely the same. I can't tell the difference between any of them. They all shave great though.

-Every single aftershave I purchased. I prefer plain witch hazel and I don't like having multiple scents under my main cologne

-Omega and Simpson silvertip brushes. Modern synthetic brushes are just superior to badger in every possible way. The best badger brushes and synthetics are all better for lathering than every silvertip I've owned.

-Geo F Trumper cream. $30 and it feels like there's no lubrication at all on my face.

-Arko. This stuff feels like just bath soap sold as as shaving soap. Very drying on my face.

-Buying 100 packs of blades just because it made sense to buy them compared to single packs for price. Now I have literally a hundred of wilkinsons, shark, treet, nacet derby, etc, and I only use feathers and personas.

like college a lot of money spent on things I never use :) but I learned what I DO NOT LIKE is as important as what I love
If you don't mind me asking, what was the issue? Why is it not working for you?

Asking, as I was considering getting one.

Generally, the "budget" stuff. They are ok and sometimes do their job as good (or actually, better!) than some major brands, but the feels (especially scent-wise) is just not the same for me... (For example Palmolive, Arko, Nivea, Barbon... etc.)

M

mtcn77

-Arko. This stuff feels like just bath soap sold as as shaving soap. Very drying on my face.
It doubles as facial cleanser. Does this make it right to shave with Arko? It also shaves closer than my other shaving soaps. It can make or break any man's routine fraught with irritation.

Last edited by a moderator:
... It also shaves closer than my other shaving soaps...
@mtcn77, if you don't mind me asking, how exactly the soap "shaves closer" than other soap?

I thought it was the razor head's geometry - blade gap and blade exposure, keenness of the blade's edge, etc that determines the closeness of a shave.

How is (any) soap making a shave closer?

M

mtcn77

How is (any) soap making a shave closer?
It's protection is slim. Total risk taker behaviour as it feels to me.
For instance, I have to mix a thick lather with Proraso to feel the pores open, but I get the inverse correlation with Arko - it is very close when lather is not dry.

Bought 8 Mama Bear soaps, but all I use is Rosemary and mint🤣 and Arko.

I also bought a Body Shop synthetic brush and it is trash.

-Buying 100 packs of blades just because it made sense to buy them compared to single packs for price. Now I have literally a hundred of wilkinsons, shark, treet, nacet derby, etc, and I only use feathers and personas.

Just sell them on the BST at a fair price, and spread the love.

It's protection is slim. Total risk taker behaviour as it feels to me.
For instance, I have to mix a thick lather with Proraso to feel the pores open, but I get the inverse correlation with Arko - it is very close when lather is not dry.
@mtcn77 - Protection? What do you mean? I don't get it.

How can you feel the pores open? I thought pores open when you use warm/hot water, and close when you splash the cold water. Haven't realized the type of soap can open/close pores. WOW!

I guess I've got a lot to learn, as the above sounds "Chinese" to me, especially the protection part. That's a mystery to me. Is that what some folks call the "cushion"?

M

mtcn77

How can you feel the pores open? I thought pores open when you use warm/hot water, and close when you splash the cold water. Haven't realized the type of soap can open/close pores. WOW!
I cannot use hot water, tried it a couple of times. It makes my skin puff which is why I cannot shave in the morning, too. I also cannot shave with wet face, too puffed up. It also makes my beard too limp, it shadows the blade feel.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the issue? Why is it not working for you?

Asking, as I was considering getting one.
just to aggressive feeling for me and to much blade feel I reckon :)
cant run it over 3

I do say get one !!

the handle is still the nicest handle I have felt so grippy without being sharp just WOW on the handle the timeless Ti hourglass is more unique but not better in grip (for me) the build of the rex is super nice and love the bit more industrial look over jewel type pieces !
I think its my swedish by blood sensitive skin :)
compared to Merkur the razorock GC I have is so much nicer and both the rex and timeless are HUGE steps above the GC.68 and leave the Merkur feeling like a cheap toy ? that is my opinion :) and even at $300 or so daily use thing I love compared to say a iPhone that wont last as long go for it get one try it !
the nicer razors for me are worth every penny and are just WOW in the hand

for me with the correct blade on super low setting 2 or below I get a great shave but I have to be careful it seems with it and with it being on lowest 1 or 2 setting I dont take advantage of the settings
and prefer less blade feel razors so far

I have a timeless .68 I love so maybe just a super low blade mellow feel guy

I have been at this DE 6 months
I also say shaving is not rocket science its just finding what works and I know exactly what I like within a first few shaves of finding the blade for that razor again just like that super low or no blade feel so far

B&M Full Measure of Man

What a terrible smelling product.
I feel that way about B&M Seville… it gets a lot of love but it’s just not for me. It’s a decent lather and I’ll use it, I got it and the matching aftershave for my birthday one year as a gift. I won’t buy another soap without getting a sample first. Trying to get samples of A&E Vanille&tabec and Spartacus but sold out everywhere unfortunately.

Simpson T2. “I don’t like that brush. It’s not that I don’t like it, I think it’s silly.”-Travis Bickle

36D01B4F-87CB-492D-9358-20B3CF2E09C7.jpeg

I have the exact same regret! I wanted to LOVE the ambassador so much - for it's look, it's simplicity, it's handle grip, the length, the covered blade tabs, the stand - topnotch across the board. BUT on my face it was just useless. Not useless, but IF I could manage a DFS (never managed a BBS) with it it came with razor burn.
In the end I went back to my Timeless .95 after trying out the Ti Slim for a bit, and think that's where I'll stay.

Top Bottom