What's new

Your Regrettable Purchases?

All the (for my nose) boring and/or cologne like scented soaps and samples,
I wear cologne, do not care for it in a soap and some soaps smell like detergent or have almost no smell at all.

Some big disappointments after reading great reviews or constant SOTD appearances:
LaToja
Cella Bio
Santa Maria del Fiore
Stirling Gentleman
Stirling Sharped dressed man
Stirling baker street
MDC Fougere
MDC original
Palmolive stick
ARKO
Speick
NO Two Kings
Fine American blend
Fine platinum

Some I still want to give a try but afraid the same happens are:
SV soaps f.e.:Cubebe
PDP soaps f.e.:63
Mogno

Maybe someone can give me a hint if that will probably be the case?

Monsavon bol à raser - a cheap soap sold in the grocery stores in France. It was less than 3 Euros per 125g. I tried it once. It lathered ok but the smell was clearly very far from being mine. Although I am not very good at distinguishing scents and don’t care too much about scents I decided to dump it.

Life is too short for some things.

S

Scrubby

Bottle of Suavecito Bay Rum after shave. Smell is “gone in 60 seconds”.

and my first “real” brush, a Böker premium black. Those Böker guys should stick to that they do best, making wonderful straights (and knives), what a complete wet mop. Still buying Simpsons to get over it

S

Scrubby

Monsavon bol à raser - a cheap soap sold in the grocery stores in France. It was less than 3 Euros per 125g. I tried it once. It lathered ok but the smell was clearly very far from being mine. Although I am not very good at distinguishing scents and don’t care too much about scents I decided to dump it.

Life is too short for some things.
🤣 bought that one too. Smells like a mix between cheap toilet cleaner and glue solvants. I put it to good use for honing on my 12k, but it never touched my face. Came at around 1€, so still a bargain for my use.

Too much soap! I was really exited with my new "hobby" and a bit over zealous. Back then I had more dollars than sense and if someone said I should try a soap I took that to mean I should buy the soap. I didn't realize each puck could last 3 or 4 months. I've stored most of my purchases in food-saver bags and they are still unopened. With any luck they'll still be usable whenever I manage to work through the 18 pucks that have already been opened and sampled. The good news is I don't need to buy any more shaving soaps or creams for a very long time.

All the (for my nose) boring and/or cologne like scented soaps and samples,
I wear cologne, do not care for it in a soap and some soaps smell like detergent or have almost no smell at all.

Some big disappointments after reading great reviews or constant SOTD appearances:
LaToja
Cella Bio
Santa Maria del Fiore
Stirling Gentleman
Stirling Sharped dressed man
Stirling baker street
MDC Fougere
MDC original
Palmolive stick
ARKO
Speick
NO Two Kings
Fine American blend
Fine platinum

Some I still want to give a try but afraid the same happens are:
SV soaps f.e.:Cubebe
PDP soaps f.e.:63
Mogno

Maybe someone can give me a hint if that will probably be the case?

Just curious, have you found ANY soap or cream you like? lol

Buying too many razors. Especially after my rex ambassador as that's my favorite. I feel bad for having a polished timeless that I bought after the rex. I love the Timeless but I still reach for the rex

- Fayiz D.

Muhle 41 Twist!

I adore the R41 for its beautiful shaves but alas the handle is slippery,and as you know,the R41 Twist is a 2 piece set and you can't replace only the handle..
so I bought a second R41 but this time the regular 3 pieces version and paired it with an ikon OSS handle-Problem solved.
Will sell it soon..

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
72307CC6-5570-4706-A087-5D5646B9E7D0.jpeg
Money pit 1973 Triumph Spitfire, with its Smiths sometimes electronics. Picture isn’t mine, but color is correct. Horn button wouldn’t work, so I wired in a doorbell button. Gas gauge didn’t work, so I used a flashlight to check the level. Back wheels bloomed outward like bad shaving brush. Sold it for a soul-less 1976 Toyota Corolla.

Miss that Spitfire.

Muhle 41 Twist!

I adore the R41 for its beautiful shaves but alas the handle is slippery,and as you know,the R41 Twist is a 2 piece set and you can't replace only the handle..
so I bought a second R41 but this time the regular 3 pieces version and paired it with an ikon OSS handle-Problem solved.
Will sell it soon..
How much would you like for it. I wish I woulda known. I have a regular you could have had

- Fayiz D.

I have a half-DE shavette which I'll probably never use again. It did serve its purpose though as a crude introduction to straight razor shaving, helping me to discover traditional straights.

This is my story as well. One shave on the thing, and I gave up on the idea that this was the easy introduction to straight razor shaving. After I staunched my many wounds, I mean. Now I'm shaving with a straight razor, happy as a clam, and I almost never see my own blood.

A bunch of vegan harder soaps. I love vegan creams and tallow-based harder soaps, but the vegan harder soaps just don't do it for me. I should have learned after the first one.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Timeless aluminum. I love my stainless and bronze Timeless razors, but the aluminum just isn't for me. I've tried to move it on the BST few times to no avail. Now it just sits sadly in its box collecting dust.:nonod:

Two pucks of Edwin Jagger soap with no scent and a puck of Razorock XX. Had to spend a gift certificate at royalshave.com and they had almost no inventory.

Top Bottom