What's new

Your Rarest SE Razor?

Below are photos of my latest rarity. It is a cased stainless steel CV Heljestrand 7 day lather catcher set with the auto stropper mechanism and strop. The strop is fixed in the auto stropper and requires removal of one of the end handles on the strop for it's removal from the auto stropper. The leather of the strop is 1.75" wide and 1/10" thick so is much more substantial than the strops from Valet, Wilkinson, Gem and JA Henckels that I also have samples of. I have included some shots of the auto stropper and strop as they seem to be rarer than the razors. All the auto stroppers I have seen with the CV Heljestrand razors are marked with the Kindal Paris and MAGNUS stampings with no CVH marking, regardless of the marking inside the case lid. Frequently missing from the large cased sets. Case with some external leather damage and the blade set is missing one as purchased. With some judicious swapping, including a better case I have, I have made up a set that is in basically new condition.

CVH4SS-2.jpg
CVH4SS-9.jpg
CVH4SS-10.jpg

Another rarity in my collection is the Henckels factory leather covered cased combination of a Allegro blade hone and stropper for single edge and wedge blades combined with a Henckels Rapide / Wotan razor. The razor is a late version with the solid plate type blade top clamp and the marking on the razor is just JA Henckels and the Henckels twins logo, without any model stamp. The razor however is identical to a plate blade clamp Wotan marked model that I also have. The case has slots for three blades in addition to the razor and Allegro stropper. I have documentation that this was a Henckels factory offered set but mine is the only one I have ever seen. Based on documentation with it originally sold by a Los Angeles retailer. In virtually new condition overall.

Cased-Henckels-6.jpg
Cased-Henckels-1.jpg
Cased-Henckels-2.jpg
Cased-Henckels-3.jpg

The razor from this set. A suspected last model JA Henckels Wotan. The handle is removable and I have never seen a Rapide marked Henckels with a removable handle. This razor has no marked model name.

Below are photos of my latest rarity. It is a cased stainless steel CV Heljestrand 7 day lather catcher set with the auto stropper mechanism and strop. The strop is fixed in the auto stropper and requires removal of one of the end handles on the strop for it's removal from the auto stropper.

View attachment 812051

Correction. The strop is removable from the auto stropper mechanism without removal of one end. My mistake for posting before actually trying it.

Have you used the Rolls yet? There's a minty one at my local antique store and I'm thinking of picking it up.

I ran it on the hone and strop it came with many times, it just doesn't seem that sharp. I believe it's carbon steel and it will rust if you don't dry it or leave it by other razors and water splashes on it.

I took a few strokes with it on an ATG pass. I haven't given it full attention though. It has a guard on it, and can probably hit from zero to about a 45 degree angle.

Fox Safety Razor, patented 1892. It's a bit wider than moast lathercatchers, and has a mechanism to adjust blade-exposure.

Well, my rarest SE razor is the Gem Junior "New Bar" razor from circa 1907.

It's a pre-1912 lather catcher design with a bar that flips down to secure the blade. The blade is not covered in front, and the exposed blade gives a utilitarian, rough, and brutal appearance. Nickel plated, its original cost was one American dollar, which is worth about $25 dollars in today's money.

Interestingly enough, this razor is a poor shaver with CVS blades, but it shaves well with Gem stainless steel blades (from Ted Pella?). The two blades and the thickness of their spines appear to be identical. Any theory on why the difference in performance?

Probably this Wilkinson Sword Patent Roller Safety Shaver (c.1903). I've not seen another.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

... as was, when I bought it:

proxy.php

Replating was both heresy and so worth it.

Interestingly enough, this razor is a poor shaver with CVS blades, but it shaves well with Gem stainless steel blades (from Ted Pella?). The two blades and the thickness of their spines appear to be identical. Any theory on why the difference in performance?
Ummmm......because the GEM stainless blades from Ted Pella are much nicer blades?

Top Bottom