Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Lamb

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Art is Alaskan King Crab

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Not much if you have a kamado style smoker. Otherwise temp control would be the main benefit. Plus traeger is being sued for using wood and adding flavor. Fwiw my kamado Weber Summit Charcoal retails at 1500, I can smoke indirect for over a day and I have had it around 700 for steaks.
I like doing a prime rib, usually on the grill.

I've not done Prime Rib Christmas for many years, if the snow ain't too deep this year I may try one again on the Big Green Egg.

Nice to see the love for the goose, a noble bird that is much storied in literature and is not at all silly. The missus wants to do beef for Christmas this year.

Never have anything as tradition, but prime rib, lamb, and king crab all sound amazing. Might have to start a tradition lol

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My brother makes sour cream chicken enchiladas every Christmas Eve. They are fantastic, but one of those things can be your meal for a whole day. He likes rich food.

We generally cook turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas. I would love to have goose or even King crab legs, but I could never talk my wife into it.

Having lived in the peanut growing region of Virginia, I love dry cured, hickory smoked hams from peanut fed hogs. However, not that I live near Chicago, those are hard to find.

We used to get a present of a Sugardale ham at Christmas from a job connection of my dad's. I loved that ham, and I loved what my mom would do with the leftovers (a wonderful pastry creation).

This year we are apparently doing prime rib. My family is very traditional in their holiday meal choices typically, but I did a prime rib once for thanksgiving years ago, and my sister and her husband are going for it for Christmas this year. I'm really looking forward to it.

It's surprisingly varied. It's ranged from barbecue to venison. There's been crab stew and smoked salmon at times. Filet mignon wrapped in bacon exactly once. Prime rib a couple of times. As most of the times it's a family get-together, it's usually pot luck, with everyone bringing something. Have seen turkey and ham and hot dogs at the same meal before. Turnips and mustard are popular greens, with peas (AKA Southern peas) from the freezer.

I voted Chinese take-out.

Why? My mom makes sausage bread Christmas morning. That is my Christmas meal. And I love some kung-pao chicken so...

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Forced to pick between the options in the poll? Chinese take out for me.

Not forced to pick - I’ll just take some seafood. Shrimp, crab, lobster, fish, whatever. I’m sick to death of the traditional turkey, ham, taters, corn, stuffing, bleh bleh bleh.

Shrimp Scampi made with large prawns and lots of garlic butter and oil, garlic bread with butter and olive oil and sprinkled romano cheese and finally linguine with white clam sauce, Sicilian style. Lots of red wine and a crisp, fresh salad.

Growing up in Australia many years back, we were always served a roast turkey, ham, roast vegetables, greens, and gravy which was followed by plum pudding with custard, cream and ice cream. The afternoon was normally spend lying on the sofa in 100° heat and recovering from lunch.
Luckily, my parents decided that torturing ourselves in that manner was not necessary and we started to spend Christmas on the coast- an early morning fishing trip and then Christmas lunch became whatever we managed to catch that morning served with salad, and cooling beverages.

Now that I am spending Christmas in colder climes, roasts or other hearty meals are much more enjoyable. This year will be porchetta.

Legion

Staff member
As David said ^, in Australia it is the middle of summer, so our traditional Christmas dinner is often seafood and fancy salads. Prawns and oysters are the go, if your budget stretches to the inflated seasonal cost.

Not too many mums want to work the oven roasting a turkey or ham when it is 40+ degrees.

Top Bottom