What's new

Your Pick for a Magnified Optic on a AR Carbine/SBR/PDW etc.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While the SIG optics on my .223 carbine serve their intended function, they don't excel at shooting small groups at 100 yds or more. The best I could do was about a 2 1/2 in. group at 100 yds with the RDS when I first built the gun and I'm sure the gun will shoot better than that. I have on hand a Burris compact 3-9 that I was contemplating using, but with it's standard duplex reticle, it's not something that I would want to leave on the gun. While it might be OK for shooting groups, it would not be what I would want to use for fast close range work, particularly at 3X. I had considered a Vortex Gen II Viper scope, but with that I would need in addition an offset red dot for fast CQB type shooting. So coming back to the original premise of this thread for an all in one solution, I came back full circle to my original choice for the .300 BO, the Shepherd scope.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While the SIG optics on my .223 carbine serve their intended function, they don't excel at shooting small groups at 100 yds or more. The best I could do was about a 2 1/2 in. group at 100 yds with the RDS when I first built the gun and I'm sure the gun will shoot better than that. I have on hand a Burris compact 3-9 that I was contemplating using, but with it's standard duplex reticle, it's not something that I would want to leave on the gun. While it might be OK for shooting groups, it would not be what I would want to use for fast close range work, particularly at 3X. I had considered a Vortex Gen II Viper scope, but with that I would need in addition an offset red dot for fast CQB type shooting. So coming back to the original premise of this thread for an all in one solution, I came back full circle to my original choice for the .300 BO, the Shepherd scope.

Have you considered trying the Burris 3x9 with an offset RDS? One has to just mentally decide that between 0 and 50 yards, the offset is a primary and not a secondary.

With this in mind, it wouldn’t be necessary to have true 1x on an LPVO? Could make maneuvering and tactics easier and faster.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Have you considered trying the Burris 3x9 with an offset RDS? One has to just mentally decide that between 0 and 50 yards, the offset is a primary and not a secondary.

With this in mind, it wouldn’t be necessary to have true 1x on an LPVO? Could make maneuvering and tactics easier and faster.

No, not really. First of all, the duplex reticle doesn't do anything for me. And again, I really want the all-in-one set up. Perhaps I'm being unreasonably stubborn on that point. I understand the tactical advantage of shooting around a left side corner. I doubt that I will face that very often. I'm over not having a true 1X. Plus, this gun is mostly a range toy, but one never knows when any firearm may be pressed into serious life and death duty.

OkieStubble

No, not really. First of all, the duplex reticle doesn't do anything for me. And again, I really want the all-in-one set up. Perhaps I'm being unreasonably stubborn on that point. I understand the tactical advantage of shooting around a left side corner. I doubt that I will face that very often. I'm over not having a true 1X. Plus, this gun is mostly a range toy, but one never knows when any firearm may be pressed into serious life and death duty.

Not stubborn at all. Smart. I have been roaming the entire earth, looking for a 1 by 6 variable with true 1x, a usuable reticle that's not too busy or too plain, it must be lightweight and at a reasonable cost. Hard to accomplish.

I know you have been doing some pistol competitions at your range, I didn't know if you have been with your rifles also. I would think utilizing, turning from offset to 3x in a competition could be advantageous as well.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
We do very close range rifle up to 25 yds max. as it is done on the pistol range. I have shot with the current SIG set up and went back and forth using the 3X magnifier. One run I'd do it with, another without. I felt it lended no real advantage at those close targets and these were such quick courses of fire that there was no time to switch back and forth between using the 3X or not during the same run.

OkieStubble

We do very close range rifle up to 25 yds max. as it is done on the pistol range. I have shot with the current SIG set up and went back and forth using the 3X magnifier. One run I'd do it with, another without. I felt it lended no real advantage at those close targets and these were such quick courses of fire that there was no time to switch back and forth between using the 3X or not during the same run.

In 3 gun the targets can range from up close, out to 75 yds and timed. I would think your magnifier would become pretty handy then.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
No doubt. I shoot mostly with some old dudes who are pretty set in their ways. Not what you'd call a dynamic group. They just started to shoot their pistol matches by drawing from the holster! Maybe some day I can convince them to move the rifle match to the rifle range! I'm still the new guy and don't have the standing to make big changes. But some of them shoot at other IDPA type matches and might be persuaded to change things up a bit.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Update of sorts, scope ordered on 11/28 from Optics Planet, as of today 12/07, still hasn't shipped. This was an in stock item. They are just that busy filling orders. OP emailed me last week to assure me that they were working on the order and that it would be shipping "soon". Amazing!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Not to be that "guy" but optics planet is bad about "in stock" not being in stock. Stay on their butts is all I can tell you. :(

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Before the panic and current shortages, I used to get very rapid service from them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I also have out a back order for a ZEV stripped G19 slide from DVOR, a subsidiary of Optics Planet. When the order was placed, the slide was supposed to be available in a couple of weeks. The availability date changes almost daily and is currently sometime in late February.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
OK, Optics Planet email says they shipped my scope today! Wonder how long it will take to get here?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Right after OP shipped my scope, I ordered an Apex trigger for my G19. It arrived yesterday but the OP site stills says "processing". UPS tracking shows my scope has arrived at a local UPS distribution site and should be here tomorrow.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
E621F4AC-02CA-444C-97D1-FC2B748391DB.jpeg
6ECDBBEE-4BAE-4F38-918E-BB76770A4A8A.jpeg

New Shepherd 1-8X Rugged scope on my .223 carbine, mounted with the American Defense Manufacturing Recon AD mount and SwitchView lever applied to the magnification ring of the scope. The ADM mount is a bit lighter than the LaRue SPR-E that I have on my .300 BO build, but seems very solid and costs about $60 less.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I also have out a back order for a ZEV stripped G19 slide from DVOR, a subsidiary of Optics Planet. When the order was placed, the slide was supposed to be available in a couple of weeks. The availability date changes almost daily and is currently sometime in late February.
Now March!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I finally got the new Shepherd scope sighted in. Did I mention that I LOVE this reticle? Can't wait to put it through it's paces in the next rifle match.

Top Bottom