What's new

Your Pick for a Magnified Optic on a AR Carbine/SBR/PDW etc.

E270C66C-D185-43EB-B5D0-45EEB0CDDA6D.jpeg
2D3FE684-E802-4C1F-9A6F-704717898C74.jpeg

Always had good luck with Vortex equipment.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Have a pic of it's reticle?
1570584971679.png

If the above reticle was zeroed for 100 yds with a supersonic .300 Blackout 123 gr bullet; the three mil hold over would be just about right for a 210 gr. subsonic round. A simple dot or circle dot reticle would not be nearly as useful.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Always had good luck with Vortex equipment.

Which Vortex is that? I don't doubt the value of Vortex optics, I just have a certain preference for certain reticles. I particularly value a reticle with hold over hash marks, especially if it's in mils or MOAs.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Which Vortex is that? I don't doubt the value of Vortex optics, I just have a certain preference for certain reticles. I particularly value a reticle with hold over hash marks, especially if it's in mils or MOAs.

It’s a nice reticle for sure. Once you have it zeroed for a specific weight, you will be thumping hogs for sure.

It would come in handy for ranging and changing bullet weights.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It’s a nice reticle for sure.....It would come in handy for ranging and changing bullet weights.
Perzactly! The illuminated circle subtends 5 mil, or 18 in. at 100 yds. The little squares in the upper right do the same for ranging 200 to 500 (.300 Blk. max effective range about 250). Although it may be a more appropriate optic for an AR 10 (and may eventually end up there), given the .300 Blk's varied bullet weights and trajectories, it could prove quite useful. On a 5.56 build, not as much, there a simple dot or circle/dot would possibly be more appropriate, IMHO.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Order placed through Optics Planet for the Sheppard scope, 10% off. Perhaps should have waited for Black Friday, who knows?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Approx $495, free shipping, no taxes. Bought with another item, Aero Precision Handguard, also for my AR 15 pistol/sbr build, whole order 10% off.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Optics Planet has the SIG Tango 6 on sale that would be a strong contender if I hadn't already bought the Shepherd.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I will give a rundown of the Shepherd Rugged 1-8x24 in the near future after I have had a bit more time with it, but so far I like it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So having used the Shepherd Rugged 1x8 for awhile, I like it enough to buy another one, which I just did. Bottom line is, I like the reticle so much that I'm willing to over look any minor short comings. The glass could be a little a little clearer but is probably what one would expect at this price point. The 1X is not true 1X in that a co-witnessed front BUIS is blurry. I have not used the scope in the field hunting, so I can't comment on low light hunting ability yet. I don't think it can be beat at this price point.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
How about a recap? How does it shoot, speed, accuracy etc.
Very quick for CQB shooting, I like it better than a plain red dot. While I haven't done an extensive test on repeatability of scope adjustments, I've had no issues with it after initially sighting it in. Given the reticle, close range hold overs are easily and accurately made as opposed to guessing with a plain red dot.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Just to clarify, my first Shepherd scope is mounted on my .300 BO AR pistol build and the copy that I just ordered will be used on my .223 AR carbine build that I currently have a SIG Romeo 5 RDS and a Juliet 3, 3X magnifier.

Top Bottom