What's new

Your Pick for a Magnified Optic on a AR Carbine/SBR/PDW etc.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Contemplating an AR pistol/SBR build and considering a variable magnification compact scope like the Vortex Strike Eagle. I like the Strike Eagles' horseshoe illuminated reticle and 1x low end magnification, at least as advertised, though I've never seen it in real life. I'm not excited that it's made in China, but most budget scopes are these days. I'm interested in fast target acquisition in CQB and precision shooting out to about 250 yds. What are your suggestions and do you have actual experience with your pick.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Further clarification of what I'm looking for: as compact as possible, low profile, preferably a single unit, illuminated reticle, $750.00 ish or less.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Further clarification of what I'm looking for: as compact as possible, low profile, preferably a single unit, illuminated reticle, $750.00 ish or less.

Step into my office. :)

1x6x24mm adjustable glass, illuminated half reticle P.E.P.R. Mount with picatinny tactical top rings which holds 1x Burris FastFire RDS.

I have no experience with it, but as sure as I'm typing this, I will say; "if you get one, I'll get one." And post the pics to prove it. I think it's that good for the price.

Features:
  • Shorter than most 1-4x scopes for quicker, easier handling
  • The 6x zoom has true 1x setting for eyes open engagement
  • Ballistic reticle with trajectory compensation out to 600 yards
  • 11 Brightness illumination settings

Speed reigns supreme in three-gun competition. So if you want to compete, you better be fast on the target and fast to shoot. Race inspired and tactical strong, the RT-6 is built for speed, accuracy and easy handling. Guaranteed to shave seconds off the clock.

Fast Fire III Info:
The The next generation of FastFire Red-Dot is here with the introduction of the FastFire III. The popular FastFire II is even better with upgraded features that include a top mounted battery for easier battery replacement, upgraded windage and elevation adjustments and a power button that provides three manual brightness settings and an automatic brightness setting with low battery indicator. The precision FastFire III allows for manual brightness adjustment and includes a protective cover and battery. Just like the rugged FastFire II, the FastFire III features a Steel body construction for extreme durability and is 100% waterproof. The FastFire III is covered by the Burris 1-year factory warranty

Technical Information (FastFire III)
Style:
Reflex
Magnification: 1x
Sight Window: 21mm x 15mm
Dot Size: 3 MOA
Adjustment Range @ 100 yards: 190"
Reticle color: Red
Housing material: Steel
Recoil resistance: 1000 G's
Battery Type: (1) CR1632
Length: 1.8"
Weight: 0.9 oz.

P.E.P.R Mount Information:

The Burris P.E.P.R. Mount is perfect for mounting your scope forward on your hunting style rifle. The Proper Eye Position Ready (P.E.P.R.) Mount provides 2" of forward scope positioning room which will allow you to obtain proper eye relief and maintain a proper shooting position. Includes both smooth and picatinny ring tops.

Technical Information (P.E.P.R. Mount):
Material:
Aluminum
Weight: 8.7 oz.
Height (from rail to bottom of scope ring): 1.0"
Width (rings): 1.75"
Height (from rail to middle of scope rings): 1.6"
Length (front of front ring to back or rear ring): 4.15"
Length (between rings): 2.15

EDIT: Oh, and while not made in the U.S.A. Burris finally elected to not cut quality, specifications, or quality control. They made duplicates of their tooling, clones of what resides in Greeley, Colorado, and began producing Fullfield II scopes with lower labor costs in the Philippines, but definitely not made in China. :)

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
High end Vortex stuff is made in Japan, middle range in the Philippines, and the budget stuff in China but... The all have the same warranty and even Okie Stubble will confirm that my SparkAR red dot (China) passed a pretty grueling stress test! Just my $.02 but for $750.00 you have a LOT of options!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks gents. @OkieStubble , I've been aware of that Burris set up for some time. One concern is that the MTAC scope tube is just a little long at 11.3 in. It would not be a problem on a carbine or rifle, but on a Pistol/SBR? I have experience with the fastfires, they're OK. Of course the Burris warranty is great and I've had other Burris scopes, good gear. This set up is on sale at Optics Planet right now, might be too good of a deal to pass up! I was just wondering if there were other recommended options that I had not considered. Not a big fan of the P.E.P.R. mount, would rather have LaRue, but since it's a package deal, I'll try it out if I get the Burris set-up. Much to consider.

OkieStubble

High end Vortex stuff is made in Japan, middle range in the Philippines, and the budget stuff in China but... The all have the same warranty and even Okie Stubble will confirm that my SparkAR red dot (China) passed a pretty grueling stress test! Just my $.02 but for $750.00 you have a LOT of options!

This is true.

OkieStubble

Thanks gents. @OkieStubble , I've been aware of that Burris set up for some time. One concern is that the MTAC scope tube is just a little long at 11.3 in. I have experience with the fastfires, they're OK. Of course the Burris warranty is great and I've had other Burris scopes, good gear. This set up is on sale at Optics Planet right now, might be too good of a deal to pass up! I was just wondering if there were other recommended options that I had not considered. Not a big fan of the P.E.P.R. mount, would rather have LaRue, but since it's a package deal, I'll try it out if I get the Burris set-up. Much to consider.

Burris, Vortex, Primary Arms make decent scopes for the money. If you wait a couple of months, I bet for $750 you can find a Leupold Tac scope on some kind of Black Friday or Christmas sale.

Why do you need magnification on an SBR/pistol? How fast do you plan on shooting out to 250? Will you have time to adjust the reticle from x1? Bench, prone supported?

I always considered an SBR/pistol config is designed for, and best utilized as a CQB/vehicle weapon at ranges out to about 100m. Paired with an red dot. I’ve been partial to Aimpoints, never warmed up to Eotecs, and a micro T-2 mounted as far forward on the receiver as you can get it comfortably is what I’d run with an SBR. With my glasses on.

there’s a whole lot of guys running 14.5s and dots that can’t hit 250-300m routinely. But you can CQB with one, while saving time and money on a FORM 4.

just my thoughts.

a buddy of mine helped design these:

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@KW Driver , thanks for the heads up on the Shepard. I have a micro T-2 on my Robinson Arms XCR, like it a lot. I may yet decide on no magnification optics, but shooting both super and subsonic, I would like to have the hold over points offered by the low magnification scopes. I guess I'm looking at all the possible scenarios that an SBR might be utilized for, both defensive and possible hunting. Perhaps I'm overthinking some aspects of the various roles an SBR might play, but engaging targets beyond normal defensive distances accurately would benefit from at least low magnification with my aging eyesight.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm interested in fast target acquisition in CQB and precision shooting out to about 250 yds. What are your suggestions and do you have actual experience with your pick.

I shot a friends Ruger No.1 in .35 Whelen quite a bit years ago. It had a Leupold 1x long eye relief on it. That was my first experience shooting with a setup like that. Smacking a 6" steel plate off hand at 200 was simple. With the low power theres very little perceived shake in the scope.

From that experience, I mounted an Aimpoint red dot with no magnification to the rib of my S&W 6" 29 Classic. Clay pigeons at 200 was almost as easy. Cover the pigeon with the dot and send it.

When it comes to fast target acquisition and tracking moving targets the only thing thats faster are open sights and they arent that much faster to be honest. My eyes arent what they were even 20 years ago so a Scout Scope type setup is much better for me. We even had a guy at my gun club that shot trap with a red dot mounted on an old Browning Auto 5. He did pretty good with it too, especially shooting handicap lol.

Lighted reticles and dots can make it hard to see the target at dark or near dark so you might want to keep that in mind. When checking scopes, check them in the same lighting conditions you might have in the field if you can.

Any duplex reticle can be used as a range finding reticle too. The Leupold Duplex reticle on my 6.5-20 for example on my .22-250 that I used for woodchucks.

leupold-vx-2-1-4x20-rifle-scope-duplex-1301014-3.jpg

At 100 yards on 20x the distance between those green lines is 4"s. The same height as a woodchucks head looking straight at you. At 200 the same head fills half the distance and so on.

The fastest reticle I've used though was the Trigicon post with a lighted tip.

Trigicon.Post.png

My nephew has an XCR in .308. No glass on it yet, his eyes are still young enough lol.

photo (3).JPG

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
But I'm really digging that Shepherd R-Mil reticle, both green and red settings to boot.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
40% off something you're just "meh" about vs. "buy once, cry once" at full price for something you really like. That Shepard is a lot of scope. The only downside is the lack of an available quick throw lever for the power ring.
On edit: Actually, the throw lever for the 1-6 Strike eagle supposedly fits this scope.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Comparing the online images of the reticles of the Primary arms 1-8x, the 1-8x Vortex Strike Eagle, the 1-8x Shepherd R-Mil and the Burris 1-6x, the Shepherd blows the others away, or at least looks more useful. Do I need it for an SBR that I'll shoot mostly under 100 yds, probably not. It may end up on another upper, who knows. But if I got one of the "meh" options, it probably wouldn't be used on anything. I still have to build the gun, so I have time to figure it out and/or wait for holiday sales.

Top Bottom