What's new

Your parents' coffee (or tea)

Thanks for the reminder of the saccharine pills - I had forgotten all about those. My parents used them a lot back in the day.

Great stories, gents. Keep them coming!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My mom would keep a little jar of saccharine pills on the table for her, and a bowl of sugar cubes for me.

I miss sugar cubes!

Coffee from a disgusting Mr Coffee with months old beans (she doesn't notice the difference)
My mom doesn't make her own coffee, but that's the machine she taught me to use so that I could make HER coffee
I got her to come with me to Cafe Grumpy, but she drank it if it were any other coffee

Tea for her is Tetley or nothing

What a nice topic. My parents never made any particularly good coffee, but when I was a child I just loved the scent - so my mother would hand me the coffee powder jar so I could smell that wonderful aroma.

Cut to decades later: my mom is old now, I've aged as well. Significantly. Yet she still hands me the jar every time I'm over for a visit and she makes coffee, and I still revel in that wonderful aroma. Takes me right back to my early years and it's a lovely little recurring bonding moment between me and my mother.

For me it was drinking Foldgers with my mom from the electric drip at about 8 years old. And the smell of pancakes.:001_smile

Great thread. :thumbup1:

My mom made coffee just like her mom and all my great-aunts and aunts. Same type of pots and same process. It took two burns on the stove to prepare coffee in the mornings. Equipment need was as follows:

1 - Tea Kettle to boil water
1- Aluminum Drip Coffee Pot
1- tall sided skillet
1- small to medium milk pitcher

Tea kettle and skillet are filled with water and placed on the fire and brought to a boil. Coffee is added to the Drip Pot and milk is added to the pitcher. Both are set in the middle of the stove awaiting the water to boil. The water in the skillet is usually the first to come to the boil and the fire is turned down below a simmer. Just very hot water with a little vapor rising. The milk pitcher is set in the skillet to warm.

When the Tea kettle boils the fire is turned way down, the kettle is removed and the coffee pot was set on the edge of the burner at which point the boiling water was poured into the top reservoir of the coffee pot and allowed to drip.

Coffee was served with one or two cubes of sugar, one half to two thirds coffee, in the cup, and one half to one third hot milk added depending on your taste.

It sounds like a big production but I remember that it happened fairly quickly. Everyone was drinking coffee before the breakfast was served at the table. Most in the family used Community Coffee, a few used French Market or some other brands like Butternut.

I forgot to add in about how my mother would always drink Red Rose tea. Again, now they get loose tea from a shop local to them.

proxy.php
proxy.php

This is what my father used, and he'd mix it 1:1 with skim milk, put a saccharin tablet in, and top it off with an ice cube to take the burn off the first sip. It left a pile of "mud" at the bottom of the cup, and the more mud it left, the better the coffee tasted.

My father bought the pot when he was overseas. When it came time to replace the rubber seal between the top and bottom halves, he couldn't find it stateside, and had to wait until he went overseas again to buy another pot. This time, he bought a lifetime supply of rubber seals to go with it.

Keep in mind, making it this way is not called espresso, its Italian coffee. Its what I remember drinking as a teenager, and I've loved it ever since, although I haven't had it in many years.

My mother, on the other hand, drank tea. Either Tetley's or Lipton's, and she would save the tea-bag in a little dish by the sink and use the same bag all day.

In our house, it was either Folgers or Chock Full o' Nuts in the percolator. The little clear top on the perc was mesmerizing to me as a child :lol:

Top Bottom