What's new

Your own railgun

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I admit I like the sound of using eco-friendly electricity and my own bolts, screws etc for projos. Get around that whole primer shortage.

"As for actual ammunition, since the GR-1 accelerates projectiles uses magnetic fields, any iron-rich metal slug with a diameter between 11mm and 12.6mm and a length between 30 and 52mm could be fired from this handheld weapon, at least in principle."

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I'm thinking, as with today's uber-airguns, it's capable of being built on.

AA

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Saw one on YouTube (bunch of engineering students) that was pushing a wee bit of iron to 4000 FPS. The capacitor bank looked scary as all get out!!! Every shot had me wondering if it was gonna fire or electrocute someone!

It looks like "an ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem." But it might produce about the same energy as broadhead arrow so projectile design would be critical for any lethal use on game.

Hmmmm. 200fps and 20lbs. Interesting advancement.

I have a Martin Hunter recurve bow (total weight of bow 2.2 pounds, bow draw is 44.5 pounds at 28.5 inch draw.), use Easton XX75 GameGetter. My arrows are cut at 31 inches, this is 363 grains (23.6 grams) at 170 FPS on an average day, add a Muzzy Phantom broad head at 100 grains for a total of 463 grains (30 grams).

Good enough for Deer but to small for Elk or Moose... Just a comparison here with an equivalent FPS and projectile weight.

"As for actual ammunition, since the GR-1 accelerates projectiles uses magnetic fields, any iron-rich metal slug with a diameter between 11mm and 12.6mm and a length between 30 and 52mm could be fired from this handheld weapon, at least in principle."

Fired from it or instantly welded into the chamber.. But where's the fun in always knowing what's gonna happen?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"40-watt plasma rifle."

proxy.php

AA

Top Bottom