What's new

Your opinions on the Ever Ready 1924 Shovel Head

The head is way too bulky, the blade can shift around when trying to close the top, the way it holds water kills blades faster if you use carbons, and for whatever reason, it gives very little tactile feedback as to what the blade is doing at any given moment which is weird for a se. It shaves well, but it is not a pleasant experience imo. I'd still say get one if you need to complete your collection though, it's not like they are costly.

Pretty much says it all^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The head is way too bulky, the blade can shift around when trying to close the top, the way it holds water kills blades faster if you use carbons, and for whatever reason, it gives very little tactile feedback as to what the blade is doing at any given moment which is weird for a se. It shaves well, but it is not a pleasant experience imo. I'd still say get one if you need to complete your collection though, it's not like they are costly.

All of the above can indeed be construed as shortcomings, but I like the razor nonetheless. For me, it shaves very well. I have not had a problem with the blade shifting around while closing the top once I got the hang of loading the blade all the way against the stops, while allowing gravity to keep it in place as I gently closed the top. As to feedback, I find the 1924 provides me with plenty of audio feedback. With any razor, but especially with the SE razors, I heavilly rely on audio feedback. To me, the ER 1924, along with the much earlier Kampfe/STAR "lather catchers" provide plenty of audio feedback. In other words, you can hear it more than feel it, if that makes any sense.

The ER 1924 does hold water, but I have also found that a couple of shakes after rinsing the blade between passes solved that problem for me.

I do have one gripe about the 1924 as I do with all GEM/STAR/Ever-Ready variants in that I wish the handle was longer. I know that they require a different hold, but still, I wish that I could get a better "purchase" on the handle. Looks to me like I might look into a BullGoose replacement handle.

Again, the oft-repeated axiom of "YMMV" applies to this razor, as it will to any other.

While the ER 1924 is perhaps not my favorite SE, I do like it. Actually, I rather like the GEM 1912 Damaskeene or the ER 1914 more at this point in time. I am looking forward to purchasing a British ER Streamline that another member of this forum is kind enough to hold for me in the next month or two, so all that can change. Try one to round out your collection because they can be acquired relatively inexpensively. You can always sell it or pass it on to someone else.

You never know until you try one.......it might just end up being your favorite razor, as it is with others on this forum!

BTW: Yippee! My 400th post!

Regards,

David

Last edited:
For the record, I finally bought a very nice ER 1924 from the 'bay and proceeded to shave with it. All I can say its and OK shaver. I much prefer my Lathercatchers, 1912's, and Damaskeenes. Its definitely my least favorite of the early SE razors. I'll keep mine in my collections and use it occasionally, just to see if it ever grows on me.

I have been enjoying my SE for shaving, and I alternate between my DE and SE razors every other day. On the SE side, I have pretty much all of the GEM, Ever Ready and Stars models that I want covered, with the exception of the ER 1924 Shovel Head.

What is the general consensus on this razor? Does it shave well? Is it Agreesive or mild? Should I buy one? I will be grateful if you share your first hand knowledge.:001_smile
Are shovehea
I have been enjoying my SE for shaving, and I alternate between my DE and SE razors every other day. On the SE side, I have pretty much all of the GEM, Ever Ready and Stars models that I want covered, with the exception of the ER 1924 Shovel Head.

What is the general consensus on this razor? Does it shave well? Is it Agreesive or mild? Should I buy one? I will be grateful if you share your first hand knowledge.:001_smile
Are 1924 shovel heads rare? About how many were manufactured? Can’t seem to find that information.

Are shovehea

Are 1924 shovel heads rare? About how many were manufactured? Can’t seem to find that information.
This one was resurrected from way back. The shovelhead is very common in the United States. I've seen one at essentially every flea market and antique store I've ever stepped in. They can be found on auction sites for about a fiver.

Interesting, but I feel this thread covers it well. That is to say it's not a very pleasant shave imo.

I know this is an old thread, but I have to say the following.

The 1924 ER Shovel head is the only razor type I own and use. It is my favorite SE razor. It is my daily driver. With I us either CS or SS GEM PTFE blades.

1. It has a standard ER head. The SE razors do not shift during use.

2. It does hold extra water in the head when rinsing. An extra shake or two makes that a none issue. Part of the after use cleaning it to spray it with alcohol. It sanitizes it and dries it out. No one stores a razor with water in it.

3. It gives off fantastic tactical feedback during use. This is one of the best features of this razor. This is what I enjoy about this razor so much.

4. It provides a smooth and efficient shave once technique is learned.

Excellent razor. Make it part of your collection if you enjoy vintage SE razors.

Please share your thoughts about the Shovel head, positive or negative.

I get this is an old thread. I figured this was the correct thread to make this statement.

The Shovel head is my favorite razor. It is the only razor type I own. It is my daily driver. I use a baton handle from a GEM Jr. when I shave face and head.

I thought the Shovel head was not well loved. Most recent reviews I have read supported this.

I did an experiment. I looked the “Single Edge Razor “ thread section on B & B. It has 160 pages. I started ready page 160 and went backwards.

What I learned was surprising.

1. It is a well respected razor
2. For many it is a favorite
3. It received many excellent reviews
4. It is used by many
5. It gives excellent face and head shaves.
6. There are lots of knowledge and history out there about the Shovel head

Please share your thoughts about the Shovel head, positive or negative.

I get this is an old thread. I figured this was the correct thread to make this statement.

The Shovel head is my favorite razor. It is the only razor type I own. It is my daily driver. I use a baton handle from a GEM Jr. when I shave face and head.

I thought the Shovel head was not well loved. Most recent reviews I have read supported this.

I did an experiment. I looked the “Single Edge Razor “ thread section on B & B. It has 160 pages. I started ready page 160 and went backwards.

What I learned was surprising.

1. It is a well respected razor
2. For many it is a favorite
3. It received many excellent reviews
4. It is used by many
5. It gives excellent face and head shaves.
6. There are lots of knowledge and history out there about the Shovel head
Then why did you start a new thread repeating the same thing?

Then why did you start a new thread repeating the same thing?
HT

I made a mistake. My apologies. I forgot to delete that statement.

What made me start this thread was the following. I was in the process of reading a Shovel head thread from 2011.

I posted a comment. I then decided to to start a new thread more will see. I did a cut and paste. I thought I removed what was not applicable to this thread. I guess it didn’t.

Is there a way to delete that one sentence?
Thank you for pointing this out.

Top Bottom