What's new

Your opinions on the Ever Ready 1924 Shovel Head

I have been enjoying my SE for shaving, and I alternate between my DE and SE razors every other day. On the SE side, I have pretty much all of the GEM, Ever Ready and Stars models that I want covered, with the exception of the ER 1924 Shovel Head.

What is the general consensus on this razor? Does it shave well? Is it Agreesive or mild? Should I buy one? I will be grateful if you share your first hand knowledge.:001_smile

The head is way too bulky, the blade can shift around when trying to close the top, the way it holds water kills blades faster if you use carbons, and for whatever reason, it gives very little tactile feedback as to what the blade is doing at any given moment which is weird for a se. It shaves well, but it is not a pleasant experience imo. I'd still say get one if you need to complete your collection though, it's not like they are costly.

The only thing that I really can't stand is the angle that is required to shave. It's just so different from every other razor that I cannot get used to it. Ill be BSTing mine soon.

The 1924 is my favorite SE...the only drawback I see is the head holds a little extra water when rinsing, takes one extra shake. Great audible feedback and I don't notice any issues with angle etc. Well worth a try since they are inexpensive and easy to find.

Here's one of mine.

proxy.php

I like it. Not the best razors I use, but still pretty darn nice. As Slim mentioned, you can find them pretty inexpensive, so why not try one and see how it works for you.

BTW... I agree with HT, not a big fan of the nick name.

It's not my favorite SE razor by any stretch -- that would be the GEM Junior Bar and similar variants -- but it's worth a try, particularly if you've tried everything else and want to have "the complete experience." Here are a couple of pics of a Sears & Roebuck promo model that I shot a while ago:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh, and Tom... SHOVELHEAD, SHOVELHEAD, SHOVELHEAD. :devil:

Thanks guys, so if it is not the "Shovel Head". What would be the official designation for this razor? 1924 Ever Ready?

The 1924 is my favorite SE...the only drawback I see is the head holds a little extra water when rinsing, takes one extra shake. Great audible feedback and I don't notice any issues with angle etc. Well worth a try since they are inexpensive and easy to find.

That is my take also, just have to say it is one of my favorite SE's

The ER pat. 1924 is my favorite SE. The reasons modern SE blades "move" around before the head is closed are because these razors were originally designed for SE blades without notches in the sides, and they had a much thicker spine. I have used a modern SE blade with a spine from one the original SE blades, and I noticed a big difference in the shave. (milder shave) Not all ER pat 1924 razors shave the same. My go to razor is the one with the thick "collar" under the head where the handle screws into.

The 1924 is my favorite SE...the only drawback I see is the head holds a little extra water when rinsing, takes one extra shake.

Shake it, shake it, and shake it some more! :001_wub::001_wub:

The ER pat. 1924 is my favorite SE. The reasons modern SE blades "move" around before the head is closed are because these razors were originally designed for SE blades without notches in the sides, and they had a much thicker spine. I have used a modern SE blade with a spine from one the original SE blades, and I noticed a big difference in the shave. (milder shave) Not all ER pat 1924 razors shave the same. My go to razor is the one with the thick "collar" under the head where the handle screws into.

Shake it, shake it, and shake it some more! :001_wub::001_wub:

How did you do that? And just sitting here thinking about how I would do that, I got to say that the risk -v- reward ratio is low on the reward side! :lol:

-jim

How did you do that? And just sitting here thinking about how I would do that, I got to say that the risk -v- reward ratio is low on the reward side! :lol:

-jim

It's really simple, I used the spine from a spent Gem blade this morning on a Feather SE blade in a British made 1912. Now that is an international combination! Takes just a couple seconds to remove the spine, slide it on the new blade and squeeze it a bit with pliers.

It's really simple, I used the spine from a spent Gem blade this morning on a Feather SE blade in a British made 1912. Now that is an international combination! Takes just a couple seconds to remove the spine, slide it on the new blade and squeeze it a bit with pliers.

What tools do you use to remove the spine and place it on another blade. To shave with a GEM 1912 and a Feather blade must be a revelation!

Pliers to pinch the top of the spine to loosen the grip it has on the blade and then "rock" the blade a little bit until it slides out of the spine.

Top Bottom