What's new

Your next read...

No, I do NOT intend this to be a thread showing everyone what you plan to read next. Rather, HOW do you determine what you read next? Also, do you prefer stand alone novels, shorter series (trilogies..maybe up to 5 books?), or long series (Wheel of Time, etc)?

I listen to the NY Times Book Review podcast, and if something sounds interesting, I add it to my "to read" list. I also put on that list recommendations from family/friends. Occassionally I will go to Project Gutenberg and download some of the public domain classics. I prefer stand alone novels in general.

I just wait until I see a book mentioned somewhere I think I may like. I might see it on a forum, mentioned in another book, or just pick it up at one of the library book sales. I then add it to my read list. I'm not going to read a long series most likely.

The best thing though, was completely random. The sister in law was in the hospital and wanted something to read, so the wife and I go to the library to find a book for her. While the wife browses I go to the fiction section. I pay no attention to names or order and just walk up and down the aisles (very large library). I suddenly stop, and while looking ahead reach my arm out to the side and touch a book. It turned out to be the fourth book in Jack Whyte's dream of eagles series. I wasn't going to read the fourth in a series, so I started with the first and read all 8 one after another. A great series indeed!

I would be happy to read anything. I have Vestibular Migraines that are brought on through such activities as reading a novel. I’m okay for short reads like here, but reading for a long stretch will bring one on. Audio books are my only source for “reading”.

I pick my books based on the author. I have a half dozen or so authors that I like. I’ve ”read” everything that they have published to date, so when a new title comes out, I’m on it. If there aren’t any new titles, I fall back to science fiction.

Definitely prefer stand alone novels, although many I have enjoyed are part of a series (Bond, Doc Savage, Jack Reacher). I have such a back log of books to read, it's intimidating. That doesn't prevent me from finding something new, though. Quite frequently it's in news groups and the like where they say, "if you liked 'X,' then you'll like 'Y.'"

Most of my books come from what are you reading threads at various forums. I look them up in goodreads, then check one of two online libraries for kindle availability, and the local library is the next search for a hardcover or (hopefully) trade paperback. Stand alone, short / long series - all are good. Fiction, non-fiction. If it's a winner I'll check out the author for more.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would be happy to read anything. I have Vestibular Migraines that are brought on through such activities as reading a novel. I’m okay for short reads like here, but reading for a long stretch will bring one on. Audio books are my only source for “reading”.

I pick my books based on the author. I have a half dozen or so authors that I like. I’ve ”read” everything that they have published to date, so when a new title comes out, I’m on it. If there aren’t any new titles, I fall back to science fiction.
Sorry to hear that my friend!

My Dad was a voracious reader, and a stroke took that away...

I read anything, from billboards to want ads....

I now mostly read biographies. Or autobiographies if I think they are honest people, lol.

Lately I have been re-reading old Heinlein stuff, comfort food for my old brane.

I do love that I can read MAGAZINES now ON MY PHONE with my library card from the local library!

My Dad would be AMAZED at these "Dick Tracy" like devices we all carry around. I sure miss that ole fert.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Have a plan.

I read a lot… average 2 books a week (long work commute = audiobook nirvana). Use Goodreads app to 1) set reading goal each January, 2) track progress, 3) review unread books. Have 100+ kindle books in my Amazon wishlist, but only buy when on sale for $1 or $2. Use Overdrive app to check out kindle and audiobooks from area library systems.

Due to a healthy reading appetite, this system keeps expense to a minimum, and the next read always at my fingertips. BTW, subject matter is primarily history, biography, and inspiring stories.

I tend to be very aspirational in my reading and the pile of books here in the house that were purchased years ago but are unread is a testament to it. I’ve found that my ability to immerse myself in a huge epic is not what it used to be, and I find myself tending more toward shorter novels lately. It puts a premium on good storytelling, since I don’t have the patience for meandering stories.

I need to be able to jump right into the book, so if I have to work hard at getting used to the author’s voice, I don’t have patience for that. I haven’t been taking the plunge with unfamiliar authors lately for just that reason.

I prefer reading non-fiction. I tend to alternate interests from book to book. As in, I won't read Roman history back to back. I will jump to WW2, or a biography. I like to switch it up in hopes that I don't get to overwhelmed with information or bored on a certain subject. I feel it keeps me interested.

I prefer reading non-fiction. I tend to alternate interests from book to book. As in, I won't read Roman history back to back. I will jump to WW2, or a biography. I like to switch it up in hopes that I don't get to overwhelmed with information or bored on a certain subject. I feel it keeps me interested.
I'm trying to alternate a bit myself. Since I typically read fiction, I try to rotate from a fiction book to a non-fiction book. Sometimes, if I'm reading a trilogy or something similar, I may read through the full catalog before alternating.

Reactions: dws
There is never just one book on the go for me.

I was making my way through the Faerie Queene for a couple of years, reading all kinds of other things along the way because other people in the house were reading fun things, or something took my fancy, or I got bothered with Spenser going on about how the Irish needed to be oppressed.

Finished at last. Thought toward the tail end of it that I should read Don Quixote again, as a bit of an antidote to all that that chivalry.

But then the Gordon Korman book that I was reading but someone else had borrowed from the library, and returned because they didn’t know I was also reading it, showed up again, as well as a new Ivy and Bean book for my youngest kid (and I am a huge Ivy and Bean fan—so funny!) and also both my wife and older kid think that Dial A for Aunties was hilarious, so now...

I read the Ivy and Bean last night (secretly) and am now reading alternate chapters aloud to the kid (who has now read the whole book herself but wants us to read it to her anyway). And I’m going to read Dial A for Aunties which is already overdue at the library and can’t be renewed because someone else has it on hold, but it looks so good. Then back to Unplugged and then Don Quixote. Unless something else happens.

766D53EF-63E9-4AAC-9682-E4045D1F7A87.jpeg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Eclectic here - with the audiobooks for exercise I prefer a simple thriller - Gabriel Allon or maybe Harry Bosch, though I did do Gone With the Wind on tape last year. Audio I find needs to be pretty basic .. For hardbound I alternate haphazardly between classics (Catcher in the Rye is on the nightstand) or NY Times Best Sellers that sound interesting. I read the weekend reviews, scan the "Classics" genre at the library etc. I even picked up a couple reads here at B&B in a thread I haven't seen in a while. I hope I never run out of books.

Finding the next book is a precise science. NOT. While I combine lists from BBC, NYT and others I seem to find books when the author passes away. ??? Iian Banks “culture” trilogy I was hooked within pages. I liked Tony Hillerman’s series because I love the area.

There is never just one book on the go for me.

I was making my way through the Faerie Queene for a couple of years, reading all kinds of other things along the way because other people in the house were reading fun things, or something took my fancy, or I got bothered with Spenser going on about how the Irish needed to be oppressed.

Finished at last. Thought toward the tail end of it that I should read Don Quixote again, as a bit of an antidote to all that that chivalry.

But then the Gordon Korman book that I was reading but someone else had borrowed from the library, and returned because they didn’t know I was also reading it, showed up again, as well as a new Ivy and Bean book for my youngest kid (and I am a huge Ivy and Bean fan—so funny!) and also both my wife and older kid think that Dial A for Aunties was hilarious, so now...

I read the Ivy and Bean last night (secretly) and am now reading alternate chapters aloud to the kid (who has now read the whole book herself but wants us to read it to her anyway). And I’m going to read Dial A for Aunties which is already overdue at the library and can’t be renewed because someone else has it on hold, but it looks so good. Then back to Unplugged and then Don Quixote. Unless something else happens.
I absolutely love reading to the kids. There are some great kid books out there. Of course, there are certainly stinkers as well. But finding those good ones is a joy. And of course you can't replace that bonding time. We're reading The Hobbit to the oldest currently, and the youngest is getting into a good age for books as well.

Depends.

Sometimes I watch a TV show/movie based on a book and then get the book to read.
Sometimes in Goodreads someone adds a book to their 'to read' section and then I check out the summary and if interested then read
Sometimes if it's a topic I was interested in that week I try to find books on the subject.

Top Bottom