What's new

Your new, new favorite thing

So, I just finished reading a post by John- @JCinPA where he mentioned his new, new favorite thing and I thought this concept might make for a fun thread. Many of us are always trying new things, so how about this thread where we post our current new thing. It can be a razor, a blade, a brush, a soap, an AS, or anything else shaving related that you feel like sharing.

For me, this month's new favorite thing is the Maxwell June twinned DE razor. It's let me reexplore all my DE blades, after being on an AC kick with my Occam's Razor for the last six months.

What's your new favorite thing?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
GREAT idea for a thread, Reno! I am curious about the Maxwell June, can you share with us your experience? What's the draw to the double blade? Is it closer, quicker, more comfortable, some combination of those. Apparently, with the popularity of the twin injector blades (hard to find), and some shavers nostalgic love for the Track II, maybe there is a magic number of multiple blades--like 2--that works, and going beyond that does not work? I'm super curious about that thing.

As for me, my latest new, new thing is vintage blades. The old, coated blades from the late 1960's, early 1970's seem to be the pinnacle of DE razor blade manufacturing. No matter the love for whatever current blades is, almost everyone finds an old Schick Plus Platinum or Gillette Spoiler amazing blades.

Fancier brushes. I've always been content with lower cost boars (under $20) such as Semogue 1250 and Omega 11137. I've more recently started buying some fancier brushes:
  • Semogue SOC finest badger
  • Semogue SOC finest mistura
  • Semogue C5 Torga premium boar
  • Omega Jade premium boar
Now, these new ones are practically all I'm using, along with my Zenith B03-A26 (an older favorite).

New blades. I got a huge assortment of blades in tucks from razorbladeclub in Sweden. It's been fun trying out this crazy variety of unfamiliar blades.

Fancier brushes. I've always been content with lower cost boars (under $20) such as Semogue 1250 and Omega 11137. I've more recently started buying some fancier brushes:
  • Semogue SOC finest badger
  • Semogue SOC finest mistura
  • Semogue C5 Torga premium boar
  • Omega Jade premium boar
Now, these new ones are practically all I'm using, along with my Zenith B03-A26 (an older favorite).

New blades. I got a huge assortment of blades in tucks from razorbladeclub in Sweden. It's been fun trying out this crazy variety of unfamiliar blades.
I've got the SOC badger on that crazy sale on AMZN, and got the Omega Jade boar from Connaught and really like them both; the Omega Jade is my favorite boar. Nice new brushes indeed!

Well this is a timely thread! My new favorite thing is my new and first (just had two delivered yesterday) Ap Shave Co. brush 😁
9F454B22-25A8-4422-8D9A-7E9249E44BC9.jpeg

Fantastic! All around fantastic!!
💈🖖🏼💈

Current "flavour of the month" shaving item is the Stando Chors head. Polish made CNC machined stainless steel. 1.30 blade gap and neutral blade exposure. Very efficient while still remaining relatively smooth. The razor has a sandblasted finish similar to the Rockwell 6S. Pictured below with a Feather ASD2 handle.

proxy.php

For me they are:
- Feather AS-D2. Fancied it for years and finally bought it off the BST. Regret not buying it much earlier
- Schick Krona. Random eBay buy and it turned out to be an amazing shaver. I’m Schicked how good it is

- Simpson’s Manchurian. technically not new to me but more and more I’m falling in love with this hair.

My new favorite thing is a future project I’m looking forward to. I’m enjoying DE vintage blade shaves at the moment, but I want to go back in time to pre-stainless days. I have various blades on the way and a DE Stropper to help tune those old carbon steel edges. It may be fun or it may be painful, but none the less, I’m looking forward to experiencing it first hand.

My current Med Prep. I normally don't use a blade more than 3 times, but this thing has over 15 shaves on it.

It seems as effective at whisker removal as it was when it was new, but with a more mellow quality.

The longevity certainly isn't due to my ham-handed shaving technique. This blade is being very good to me.

This is an odd one for you folks...

So my buddy @MaineYooper had mentioned a Boar brush he's going to try. I hadn't used a boar since I first started traditional shaving (3 years ago, I think). I didn't like it at all! Two scratchy, too rough, and my skin is very sensitive.

After reading what he posted, as well as researching the breaking in of a boar, I thought maybe I should try again. To mitigate my losses, I ordered a cheap (but we'll regarded) Semogue 1305.

It's now been 9 break-in lathers and 1 overnight soak. I have yet to actually use it, but I can definitely feel it getting softer. Just the project of breaking in a boar... Regardless of whether I'll actually like it, has become my new 'favorite thing'. Lol. I've even pondered buying another. Again, we're talking about not yet knowing if I like them. I think I'm just enjoying the process.

Silly, I know.
PXL_20211024_010332095.jpg

Last edited:

So my buddy @MaineYooper had mentioned a Boar brush he's going to try. I hadn't used a boar since I first started traditional shaving (3 years ago, I think). I didn't like it at all! Two scratchy, too rough, and my skin is very sensitive.

After reading what he posted, as well as researching the breaking in of a boar, I thought maybe I should try again. To mitigate my losses, I ordered a cheap (but we'll regarded) Semogue 1305.

It's now been 9 break-in lathers and 1 overnight soak. I have yet to actually use it, but I can definitely feel it getting softer. Just the project of breaking in a boar... Regardless of whether I'll actually like it, has become my new 'favorite thing'. Lol. I've even pondered buying another. Again, we're talking about not yet knowing if I like them. I think I'm just enjoying the process.

Silly, I know. View attachment 1351093
Not silly at all, unless I am also being silly :letterk1:

I agree, the lather making is fun, and I often wanted to just lather my face! Having rosacea makes my face very sensitive to irritation. I redden very easy. So boars have Not been in rotation. But my fellow SWS member @bjm gave me a Semogue SOC to break in. He is absolutely right. After just under 2 weeks, this brush has been impressing me every time I lather it. It has become my new favorite thing. It makes its debut tomorrow for a full 3 pass shave.
20211019_111256.jpg

Silly, I know. View attachment 1351093
Lately I’ve been grabbing a boar more often as part of my rotation, and this is the one I seem to grab the most. It seems to me that it was soft from the get go and was broken in after only a few shaves.

Top Bottom