What's new

Your NBA Dream Team?

Living in the UK, intellegent conversation regarding basketball is hard to come by, so I would ask any basketball fans to participate in this discussion and give me a chance to actually vent my passion for the sport.
I'll start, my dream team is:
Steve Smith at point
Clyde Drexler at two guard
Dominique Wilkins at small forward
Charles Oakley at power forward
Artis Gilmore at centre.
What do you all think?

S

Sam

Point guard - Michael Jordan
Shooting guard - Jerry West
Center: Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Power Forward: Magic Johnson
Foward: Larry Bird

This team can run and any of them can really be the point guard, bring it up.

Sam

Jim and John, as far as I am concerned Magic is the greatest of all time, I should have been more clear these are my personal favourite player's. I also think that they are some of the most underrated player's in NBA history.
If I was doing a more conventional dream team I would have MJ, Magic, Kareem, George Gervin and Kevin Garnett.

ALL TIME
Magic
Jordan
Oscar Robertson
Karl Malone
Bill Russell

It was tough leaving off Bird, Gervin, Kareem, Wilt, & Stockton.

PRESENT DAY
Nash
Wade
LeBron
Stoudamire
Shaq

Just falling short was Kidd, Kobe, Iverson & Duncan

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Well, duh. Obviously, if it's my dream team, then I'm playing point guard. :lol: My supporting cast will be Miss Tokyo and the first three runners up.

Best of all time?

Oscar.

AJS said:
Jim and John, as far as I am concerned Magic is the greatest of all time, I should have been more clear these are my personal favourite player's. I also think that they are some of the most underrated player's in NBA history.
If I was doing a more conventional dream team I would have MJ, Magic, Kareem, George Gervin and Kevin Garnett.

Magic is one of my favorites. Great sportsmanship, and the grin on his face as he played made him joy to watch. Whenever I see clips of him playing, running down the floor with that huge smile, I just know he's thinking "these fools are paying me tons of money...and I'd do it for free"!

Randy

AJS said:
I'll start, my dream team is:
Steve Smith at point
Clyde Drexler at two guard
Dominique Wilkins at small forward
Charles Oakley at power forward
Artis Gilmore at centre.
What do you all think?

point: Magic Johnson or Oscar Robertson
2: Michael Jordan
3: Julius Erving or Larry Bird
4: Karl Malone
5: Bill Russell

Now, I love Steve Nash, but there is no way he makes this team.

As far as point guards go, I'd rate the following above him. . .

Magic
Oscar (point or 2? hard call)
Cousy
Tiny
Stockton
Frazier

Nash is a great player, but has yet to win a championship--and my guess is that he's about to start wearing down pretty soon now. He had to carry that team all year after Stoudamire went down, and that takes a toll, especially when you're a little guy like him.

Sorry to cut down your guy--I like him, but he's not the best point guard of all time.:biggrin:

ouch

Great recommendations so far. Frazier gets short shrift in many of these exercises- people forget what a great money player he was. Along with Barnett, he was one of the first guards to play defense. His game seven performance in '70 was one of the best ever.

Still, no one has thusfar assembled a team that beats mine, or even comes close. :tongue_sm

being a Knickerbocker fan, this list was hard to come up with( and b fair):

pg: oscar robertson( averaged a triple double for a season!)

sg: michael jordan ( killer instinct- always looking to rip out an opponent's heart)

sf: larry bird ( see above)

pf: charles barkley( round mound of rebound)

c: wilt chamberlain (anyone who can score 100 pts in a game w/o their arms falling off is ok by me)

Marty

Well, I would want a team of exciting players--not just quality.

I would favor: Michael Jordan (I must believe that he is the greatest all around basketball player ever--maybe a bit of a nitwit wut still pretty great), Magic Johnson (also probably a nitwit but still he could do it all and then some), Wilt Chamberlain (gotta love a guy who was so disliked that they made rules just to work against him), Lebron James (color me impressed--still has to earn it but I think he will) and also a bit of a nitwit but at least he admits it would be Charles Barkely.

MJB

ouch

It's easy to bash Wilt, but people forget how unbelievably strong he was. The sports writers always seem to give the nod to Russell, but Wilt's numbers versus him in head to head play are off the charts- something like 25+ points and 25+ rebounds against the best defensive center ever. He was one of the most athletic people to ever play the postion. The notion of averaging 50 ppg for a season boggles the mind.

In a related note, if Oscar Robinson thought that "triple doubles" were a big thing, he could have averaged that for his career. As is, he averaged a triple double for just shy of the first four years of his career. He is the only player who referred to Jordan as merely "very good" without being taken to task.

Excellent points, Ouch!

There are a few other guys who don't get much play here:

Elgin Baylor--incredibly gifted, class act

Connie Hawkins--one of the first of the "modern" players to show raw athleticism at his size

Julius Erving--uncommon athleticism and sense for the game

John Havlicek--freakish endurance, he never stopped moving and didn't even sweat! great shooter, rebounder, passer, leader and winner

ouch

For years, Baylor was the best forward in the league, and held the record for most points in a game (after Wilt).

Connie Hawkins may have been the best "street" player of all time.

I loved Julius in college, but thought his game was incomplete when he hit the pros. He proved me wrong, as he evolved into a consummate player. His swooping under the rim reverse layup is still the greatest highlight reel clip of all time.

I hated Hondo, because he'd always kill my Knicks. After Jerry West, he may be the most clutch player ever.

Basketball sure has produced its share of stars.

Top Bottom