What's new

Your NBA Dream Team?

ouch said:
His swooping under the rim reverse layup is still the greatest highlight reel clip of all time.

That. . .and MJ's "now you see it, now you don't," right hand switch to left hand, double pump, up and under layup in the playoffs with the Bulls.

The 2 best moves I've ever seen. Along with several passes from Cousy and another underrated point guard, Ernie DiGrigorio of Providence College. He was my Underdog Hero as a young bball junkie!

ouch said:
It's easy to bash Wilt, but people forget how unbelievably strong he was. The sports writers always seem to give the nod to Russell, but Wilt's numbers versus him in head to head play are off the charts- something like 25+ points and 25+ rebounds against the best defensive center ever. He was one of the most athletic people to ever play the postion. The notion of averaging 50 ppg for a season boggles the mind.

In a related note, if Oscar Robinson thought that "triple doubles" were a big thing, he could have averaged that for his career. As is, he averaged a triple double for just shy of the first four years of his career. He is the only player who referred to Jordan as merely "very good" without being taken to task.

Couldn't agree more. Still Russell's teams won a lot more championships and that goes a long way in the rankings. Kinda the Dan Marino thing--the greatest pocket passer of all times but also no Championship ring. That will always be a knock against him when comparisons are made with Elway, Bradshaw, Montana. Look at the head to head comparison between Jim Kelly and Joe Montana--Kelly may have the edge but less jewelry. And by the way, just why again is Art Monk not in the pro football HOF?

One other great who at least deserves a mention. "Pistol" Pete Maravich--he and Dr. J were revolutionaries and without them there would have been no Michael Jordan.

MJB

For pure artistry, there may have been--or will ever be--a more beautiful player to watch than the Pistol. He was no doubt one of the best collegiate players of all time, and though he broke down in the pros, he still left behind lots of great moments.

I still remember getting a pair of my Dad's old socks so that I, too, could wear my socks as "floppy" as the Pistol's were. My mother thought I was nuts, but it made me feel very cool at the time, and I still get a charge out of seeing old film of Pete coming down the court, his hair swinging one way, his socks the other way, and who knew where the ball was going. Great stuff.

Good call! And a great topic for my 500th post! Thanks!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I know his dad ran the team, but we'll never see another like Pete. Boy, did he die way too young.

His NBA career may have paled compared to his college years, but I recall him lighting up the Knicks one night in one of the best personal performances I ever saw.

Here's a unit that wouldn't be too bad:

Oscar Robertson, gd
Jerry West, gd
Wilt Chamberlain, c
Larry Bird, fwd
Dave DeBusschere, fwd

They were all winners; they all could pass and defend; they all played HUGE
minutes; and they were tough. D.D. was the best defensive forward ever. He'd help the others on def. and have Wilt's back. The others would get Dave his shots---he never took a bad one. Imagine Oscar and Wilt running the P'n'R---How about Oscar w/ West and Bird on the break. 3-pt. shooters?---please!

Ya know, I loved DD, but he is not--IMO--even close to one of the 5 best players of all time.

And is it true that you'd leave Jordan off this squad? Wow.

GREAT!! I love basketball, my first love. However, I guess there is no room in the NBA for 5'7" 175 lbs white guy whos out of shape and cant jump to save his life. :biggrin: Anyway, I didnt get to see many of the greats play but have see highlights and heard stories. So, mine might be kind of newer.

Michael Jordan - PG How can you leave him out?
Kobe Bryant - Controversy here? Incredible to watch play if you ask me.
Larry Bird - SF Great shooter, pure shooter. Good passer as well.
David Debusschere - PF Great defender, rebounder, and a HARD WORKER
Wilt Chamberlin - C His stats speak for themselves.

What does everyone think though of Hakeem at C? Oh and dont see anyone like Isaih Thomas or even Dominque Wilkins, any thoughts on those guys? If you dont like Kobe on there you can swap him out for David Thompson (im a Nuggets guy here).

You play the game w/only one ball. Check the lifetime assists/pg and rebounds/pg for West, Oscar, Bird, D.D. and Wilt. On offense you handle the ball, pass the ball, and put it in the basket. On defense you deny posistion, box out on the boards, rebound, and make the outlet pass. Except for Bird, unfortunately, steals and blocks weren't kept as stats when the other guys played--- I'd bet those would have been pretty good across the board, too. Oh yeah---D.D. was player-coach one year for the Pistons, at age 26. He also pitched a few seasons for the CWS. He was smart, athletic, and a leader. You don't necessarily need the five best individual players on the court; what you need is the individuals who comprise your best "5".

THE DREAM TEAM
Magic, Jordan, Bird, Russell, and Kareem
Although Russell and Kareem played the same position, Russell is the best defensive player of all time I. One hell of a rebounder too. Don't have any stats to back it up but that IsMO.

PG : Magic
SG : Jordan
SF: Pippen
PF : Duncan
Center : Kareem

Perfect combination of defense (ok, Magic's D wasn't really great, but the other 4 were/are quite good in this area), smarts, versatility, clutchness, leadership, team spirit, unparalleled desire to win and professionalism
Of course, I could have put other guys instead, but this 5 matches my criterias ; this 5 is unbeatable

Head coach : Red Auerbach ; he had all-stars at every position, yet he always found a way to get the best of each one for the good of the team; they were completing each other ; Red could see that

You know, come to think of it, ALL these squads look pretty good, lol! Pick any 15 guys from the nba HOF---then get any 15 all-time from the rest of the world combined---and see who wins the Olympic Gold Medal.....regardless of which set of rules they play under.

Give me MJ in his prime and any 4 average players and you have an NBA championship team.

All time dream team

PG - Oscar Robertson (the man was always posting triple doubles)
SG - Michael Jordan (Best ever and clearly the best SG)
SF - LeBron James (Its early but this guy is going to be something special)
PF - Wilt Chamberlain
C - Shaq (can you imagine Chamberlain and Shaq in the same frontcourt)

Chris

You know, come to think of it, ALL these squads look pretty good, lol! Pick any 15 guys from the nba HOF---then get any 15 all-time from the rest of the world combined---and see who wins the Olympic Gold Medal.....regardless of which set of rules they play under.

Don't inderestimate the rest of the world all-time greats ; they had/have the talent the versatility and the knowledge of the game

-Just take a look at Oscar Shmidt (Brazil), the best olympic games/ world championship scorer of the history ; he was playing during the eighties (retired in 93); during the 92 olympics, at 36, averaged 35 ppg ; he was tall, could play SF, PF, PG, shot the ball like Bird, passed like Magic, was clutch

-Remember the late Petrovic, one of the NBA's best SG before his tragic accident in 1993

-Kukoc, SF, when younger and healthy, was an all-around marvel

-Divac, C,not a strong, but brilliant and smart center

-Rik Smits,C, from Holland, was Kareem's favorite center (true story)

-Detlef Schrempf,SF/PF, ex-Sonic and Blazer and All-star

-Sabonis,C, who finally joined the NBA (late, because of ex-USSR's stupid officials) at 31 years old and with bad knees ; Shaq admired him ; George Karl, who coached a long time in Europe said once of Sabonis : " this guy, when he was younger and healthy was running faster and jumping quicker than David Robinson ; combine that with his unseen passing game that would have put Walton to shame, and his good outside shooting, and you have one of the greatest bball players of all-time "

-Olajuwon (Nigeria) : MVP ; 2 rings ; 'nuff said

-Nash : 2 time MVP

Add Dirk (germany), Duncan (virgin Islands), Mutombo (Congo), Gasol (spain), Manu (Argentina), Yao (China), and you have a team that can go toe to toe with your 15 U.S greatest

You definitely make a good case for 'The World' team.

Now, suppose you could pick one player to start an nba team, but you have ABSOLUTELY NO CHOICE in filling out the rest of your team.....say you have to pick names from a hat to fill out your roster. (nba players who have played in at least one All Star Game are the only names in the "hat") You could end up with all small guys or a bunch of C's and Pf's. Who's your man?

I'll go with Magic---big enough and smart enough to hold his own at any position. And he helps everyone on his team play better.

pg-magic johnson

sg-michael Jordan

pf-david robinson

sf-akeem olajuwan

C-Shaq

Of course I picked centers and put them as forwards. It is a game of the tall people after all....I think Shawn Bradley proves that point. no need to be awesome just really really tall.

A huge Clyde Drexler fan myself.
LeBron James will definately be worthy no doubt about it.
The original "Dream Team" was by far and away the best because they still knew how to play "team" basketball.
USA gets beat now because they can not!!! over simplified maybe but true!!

Great post! Allow me to comment. . .

Don't inderestimate the rest of the world all-time greats ; they had/have the talent the versatility and the knowledge of the game

-Just take a look at Oscar Shmidt (Brazil), the best olympic games/ world championship scorer of the history ; he was playing during the eighties (retired in 93); during the 92 olympics, at 36, averaged 35 ppg ; he was tall, could play SF, PF, PG, shot the ball like Bird, passed like Magic, was clutch

Oscar was a great player, no doubt--but let's remember that his 35 PPG average came against international competition that was much weaker than it is today.

-Remember the late Petrovic, one of the NBA's best SG before his tragic accident in 1993

Drazen would have been no better than a good sub on an AllTime team. Was a one dimensional (shooter) kind of player.

-Kukoc, SF, when younger and healthy, was an all-around marvel

Toni had 3 or 4 real good years, and just wasn't tough--would have been hard pressed to even make this team.

-Divac, C,not a strong, but brilliant and smart center

Again, a backup at best--can you see him trying to guard Shaq or Russell or Wilt or. . .you get the idea.

-Rik Smits,C, from Holland, was Kareem's favorite center (true story)

Please.

-Detlef Schrempf,SF/PF, ex-Sonic and Blazer and All-star

Nice player, but not nearly tough enough.

-Sabonis,C, who finally joined the NBA (late, because of ex-USSR's stupid officials) at 31 years old and with bad knees ; Shaq admired him ; George Karl, who coached a long time in Europe said once of Sabonis : " this guy, when he was younger and healthy was running faster and jumping quicker than David Robinson ; combine that with his unseen passing game that would have put Walton to shame, and his good outside shooting, and you have one of the greatest bball players of all-time "

OK, Sabonis may have made the team--probably as a passing PF, and probably not a starter.

-Olajuwon (Nigeria) : MVP ; 2 rings ; 'nuff said

Another possible choice. Great player.

-Nash : 2 time MVP

Decent backup point guard to Magic.

Add Dirk (germany)--not yet.

Duncan (virgin Islands)--played for USA in Olympics.

Mutombo (Congo)--offensive liability.

Gasol (spain)--not close to making this team.

Manu (Argentina)--backup slasher.

Yao (China)--not yet.

. . .and you have a team that can go toe to toe with your 15 U.S greatest.

The US team would mop the floor with this group. And let's also remember that what the international teams (Argentina, Spain, Canada, etc.) have had going for them in the past decade has been the luxury of practicing together for long time periods, national team spirit and sense of nationalism, and playing as a team. . .which this polyglot team of players would not have.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This is one of the very few threads that I'm glad to see resurrected, if for no other reason than to remind you that no one has yet assembled a better team than I did in post #8. :biggrin:

Top Bottom