What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I do not like titanium razors. I think it’s just a current fad and a marketing gimmick aimed at people who always buy the most expensive model. But the stainless steel version is nearly always a better razor because of the weight and the superior vibration damping. If you enjoy a lighter weight razor then my advice is to buy a lightweight steel razor.
I do like the Timeless Ti Crown handle on my Claymore Evo. The balance with the OEM handle is tilted toward the handle. Not in an annoying way, exactly, but in a way that I noticed right away. It didn't affect the shaving as I adjusted immediately.

I've been using the lighter handle for a while now but a few weeks ago, the blade died on me in the middle of my shave. I had another Claymore sitting there with a fresh blade in it so I just picked it up and started shaving. It felt a bit hmmmm sluggish is the word that comes to mind. I'm not sure that adequately communicates what I was feeling, but instead of finishing the shave with the OEM handle, I took a few seconds and installed the Crown handle.

I don't find that the lighter weight takes away from the efficiency for me but I could be wrong. I've read many times... the heavier handles add efficiency. It could be that I adjust the pressure I'm using subconsciously.... I don't have enough shaves in to know, truth be told.

16609624858601104928151996564898.jpg

The Rolls Razor is without a doubt, the most underappreciated, undervalued, and least talked about of all the "expensive" razors, vintage or otherwise. Yet it will provide a lifetime of shaves, with one blade. It will hone and strop better than any master of the craft is capable of.

They are one of the few vintage razors that can routinely purchased for about the same amount as they sold for, new. Of course you have to pick through them to find the ones without damage, and they have to be serviced, but once they are up and running, they tend to stay that way.

...and they are good shavers. People tend to get a bit vague on how the shave "feels" to them. It's because the user dials in their own preference. Strop more for sharper, less for smooth. If it leaves your face raw, it's too sharp.

Also, it's not a bloody "transitional" razor. Gillette introduced his razor in 1904.

1917 Rolls Razor
1930 Wilkinson Sword Empire
1933 Darwin Universal

I don't math real good, but I'm pretty sure 1904 is earlier than 1917.

Edit: I'm not denying the existence of transitional razors. You see them occasionally on the forums. But the three mentioned above, are often thought of as razors from the 1800's, and not razors you could buy brand new in 1950 (Well, the Rolls Razor and the Wilkinson Sword Empire, anyways).

Last edited:
View attachment 1508063
The Rolls Razor is without a doubt, the most underappreciated, undervalued, and least talked about of all the "expensive" razors, vintage or otherwise. Yet it will provide a lifetime of shaves, with one blade. It will hone and strop better than any master of the craft is capable of.

They are one of the few vintage razors that can routinely purchased for about the same amount as they sold for, new. Of course you have to pick through them to find the ones without damage, and they have to be serviced, but once they are up and running, they tend to stay that way.

...and they are good shavers. People tend to get a bit vague on how the shave "feels" to them. It's because the user dials in their own preference. Strop more for sharper, less for smooth. If it leaves your face raw, it's too sharp.

Also, it's not a bloody "transitional" razor. Gillette introduced his razor in 1904.

1917 Rolls Razor
1930 Wilkinson Sword Empire
1933 Darwin Universal

I don't math real good, but I'm pretty sure 1904 is earlier than 1917.

Edit: I'm not denying the existence of transitional razors. You see them occasionally on the forums. But the three mentioned above, are often thought of as razors from the 1800's, and not razors you could buy brand new in 1950 (Well, the Rolls Razor and the Wilkinson Sword Empire, anyways).
How in the world is one to use such a contraption? How does it work?

How in the world is one to use such a contraption? How does it work?
20220810_155811.jpg

20220808_161318.jpg

This is the final result, but I'll post the instructions and some other stuff too. I would have to write an article length post to cover everything, and the company already covered everything pretty decently. Google restoring a Rolls Razor to find the rest of the information.
20220819_220336.jpg
20220819_220516.jpg
20220819_220612.jpg
20220819_220639.jpg

These last two images (front and back of "to our friends behind the counter..."), I don't think I've seen on the internet before.
Edit: It's worth noting that after 50+ years of disuse, even NOS sets and blades need a little TLC before they are ready to be used.

I do not like titanium razors. I think it’s just a current fad and a marketing gimmick aimed at people who always buy the most expensive model. But the stainless steel version is nearly always a better razor because of the weight and the superior vibration damping. If you enjoy a lighter weight razor then my advice is to buy a lightweight steel razor.
Most of the weight is in the handle. Why not just produce a hollow handle as an option for a lighter razor.
Razorock have made a good decision here, I think.

View attachment 1508087
View attachment 1508088
This is the final result, but I'll post the instructions and some other stuff too. I would have to write an article length post to cover everything, and the company already covered everything pretty decently. Google restoring a Rolls Razor to find the rest of the information.
View attachment 1508090View attachment 1508091View attachment 1508092View attachment 1508093
These last two images (front and back of "to our friends behind the counter..."), I don't think I've seen on the internet before.
Edit: It's worth noting that after 50+ years of disuse, even NOS sets and blades need a little TLC before they are ready to be used.
Thanks! I've seen those but had no idea how they worked. To me they looked like something more at home in Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory. :eek2:😆

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's my understanding that the various shades of "butterscotch" are meant to emulate the colors of vintage catalin, which darkens as it ages.

Indeed.

I don't know the substance which darkens. Perhaps it's catalin, but I don't know. I do know that old brushes darkened, and that modern butterscotch brushes are supposed to emulate the various stages of that process.

It would be interesting to know a lot more about the originals and their colors over time. Etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't recall what I've posted so far in this topic but I'm thinking my most recent unpopular opinions are that Gillette solved safety razors a long time ago so no need for all the johnny-come-lately brands. Two, I comb out dry brushes to help clean them and it does wonders for knot integrity over the years (the latter being the biggie). Another is, I can't tell any real difference between blades (I've got quantities of at least 10 brands), only how long they last. And no matter what you use, it boils down to skill AKA technique and much less the equipment.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
So, hey, Thursday's comin' and I can shave while Mrs. Hippie's off in town doing the weekly shopping.
And I thought I was the only one that has to wait for the Mrs. WichyPoo to leave the house to get a decent shave.
So, no starchy vegetables, period, for me. I’m down 47 pounds since the middle of January.
Fantastic!!!!! I just learned to push the plate away. I probably eat half as much as I used to. It works.

I think it’s just a current fad and a marketing gimmick aimed at people who always buy the most expensive model. But the stainless steel version is nearly always a better razor because of the weight and the superior vibration damping.
Well, I think you are half right. And while titanium might just be a fad now, those razors will last indefinitely. They are expensive because titanium is costly to machine, and they will hold their value.

Have you ever machined titanium, @Mr. Shavington? I have, and being a machinist for 45+ years has taught me something about what materials have superior damping abilities, and to say that a stainless version is nearly always better, is nothing more than a sales pitch.

And I ain't buying your sales pitch.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For a while now, I've been wondering about all these "no pressure" posts.

I have 5 shaves in with my new-to-me British Flat Bottom Tech.... all very successful. Even though it's the most efficient Tech (many Tech experts say this... what do I know?), I had to work a bit more to get a great shave than I do with my Claymore Evo. That's fine with me.

So today, I decided it was time to use a Kai blade since they are slightly wider and make a mild razor more "efficient"... I had to use my liquid styptic 3 times during the shave... and have micro cuts all over my face... the alum made short work of those.... but I have to say, I think I sort of know what "they" mean by "no pressure". I thought... if you have zero pressure... the razor isn't even touching your face.. what a bunch of bunk..... It just goes to show you... you don't know what you don't know until you know. I'm guessing the FBT with the Kai blade exposed my poor shaving abilities.

It was the second worse shave I've had since I started back on Feb. 15th with a Lupo DE Aluminum/Astra SP green blade. This one ended up "successful" in that, my face is smooth.... but what a bloody nightmare getting there. <eg>

I might not be a good candidate for the "efficient" razors people love so much here. I might just be a mild razor guy. I do know this.... I think the Claymore Evo must hide pretty poor technique because I get great shaves with it, time after time... no drama.. no fuss. Brian Mulreany called it "mild but efficient"..... I think he's right.

Top Bottom