What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

I suppose traditional straight razor shaving is akin to cutting your lawn with a scythe. And of course you’d need a good whetstone for sharpening your scythe blade - maybe a selection of whetstones so you can optimise your scythe edge for the type of grass and the weather conditions. I bet you can do even better if you also strop your scythe every time, and oil it to ward off rust while you wait for the grass to grow.

You’d probably need to buy a bigger shed too, since your scythe collection and all the ancillary equipment will take up a lot more space than your petrol lawnmower did. And you’d need to read through all the scythe forum threads to know which stool is best for sitting on while you hone your scythes.

I started writing this post as a joke but I actually want to buy a scythe now and tell all my friends I’ve taken up scything as a hobby. And that’s just like traditional straight razor shaving too.

View attachment 1502510
My neighbors think I'm crazy because I use a reel mower. They've offered to let me borrow their gas mowers more than once. I'd love to go out there with a scythe and really freak them out!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I think the dinosaurs that went extinct did so because they developed whiskers instead of feathers. It was millions of years before humanity; therefore millions of years before ARKO!; and the SV Beta 1 they had just wasn’t slick enough even though the SV -700,000,000 they used had an intoxicating cologne scent.
We'll all look silly when we find out that all the unfeathered dinosaurs had hair, shaved and went extinct because they invented the straight razor.

My neighbors think I'm crazy because I use a reel mower. They've offered to let me borrow their gas mowers more than once. I'd love to go out there with a scythe and really freak them out!
I used to have one that ran on ethanol.
14205975_10208580020350672_8157239510149933866_o.jpg

Do you honestly think that Simpson produces more brushes than, say, Yaqi?
I have no way of knowing the answer to that question, but among the long-standing shaving companies, I suspect it has the highest volume.

BTW, I’m happy to continue this conversation one on one, but I don’t want to talk about Simpson any more on this thread.

I suppose traditional straight razor shaving is akin to cutting your lawn with a scythe. And of course you’d need a good whetstone for sharpening your scythe blade - maybe a selection of whetstones so you can optimise your scythe edge for the type of grass and the weather conditions. I bet you can do even better if you also strop your scythe every time, and oil it to ward off rust while you wait for the grass to grow.

You’d probably need to buy a bigger shed too, since your scythe collection and all the ancillary equipment will take up a lot more space than your petrol lawnmower did. And you’d need to read through all the scythe forum threads to know which stool is best for sitting on while you hone your scythes.

I started writing this post as a joke but I actually want to buy a scythe now and tell all my friends I’ve taken up scything as a hobby. And that’s just like traditional straight razor shaving too.

View attachment 1502510
You sharpen a scythe with a special hand crank grinder, made specifically for scythe sharpening. I'm not joking. In the words of Sweet Brown, "ain't nobody got time fo' dat." Maybe a quick pass or two with a pocket hone to refine the edge...
Screenshot_20220815-173613_Chrome.jpg

Oh, and I see a lot of people saying synthetics are better than badger. Must be a crazy unpopular opinion, so many people are saying it.

I'm still waiting for a synthetic that matches the face feel of a Shavemac D01 two-band.

Last edited:
Here’s a thought…daily shaving and non-daily shaving are different disciplines with utterly different requirements. I sometimes think that half of the misunderstandings and disagreements in this forum are because of that. I have a dream that someday we will all have a flag below our avatars to say how frequently we shave, so that we can understand one another and all the children of the world can live in peace.
This post needs more attention. +1:thumbup1:

This post needs more attention. +1:thumbup1:

Here’s a thought…daily shaving and non-daily shaving are different disciplines with utterly different requirements. I sometimes think that half of the misunderstandings and disagreements in this forum are because of that. I have a dream that someday we will all have a flag below our avatars to say how frequently we shave, so that we can understand one another and all the children of the world can live in peace.
That's exactly why I put the signature I added to my profile there. It's under every post I make.

Top Bottom